7 months after Prostatectomy - has urologist prescribed OAB medicine?

Archives1

Staff member
I am 7 and a half months after surgery and am leaking 20 ounces a day. I have been through 7 weeks of physical therapy, use a home tens unit ( k-fit Kegel Toner ), and walk 5 times a week.

Question for people with incontinence 6 months after Prostatectomy:

My urologist started me on Solifenacin (Vesicare) at 6 months which helped my leakage drop from 30 ounces down to 20 ounces.

Yesterday he started me on Gemtesa new FDA Approval in April 2021 - both are for OAB (Over active bladder).

I did not have OAB before prostatectomy. What are others being prescribed or doing to help during the 7 to 12 months and beyond?

If you were prescribed something for OAB then had a sling or AUS, did you stop taking the medication?

I didn't have a prostatectomy but rather radiation to treat my cancer. I subsequently developed calcium stones in my prostate, and the urologist who removed them via a laser procedure also removed some internal sphincter/bladder neck tissue leaving me with minor stress incontinence. My official diagnosis is intrinsic sphincter deficiency (ISD).

I changed urologist shortly afterwards, and my new urologist explained that, if we could remove/eliminate any spasm activity my incontinence would improve. I currently take a daily regiment of Myrbetriq, Alfuzosin, and Finasteride. I still have a slow, constant leakage of urine (kinda like having a bad washer on your kitchen faucet), but the 10-15 "squirts" I'd have a day are gone.

ISD is not a curable condition, but it seems like the medicines and the daily Kegels I do keep the incontinence within a manageable range.

20 ounces a day is A LOT! This is not something that you should be living through. I had my prostatectomy 3 years ago and my incontinence stopped improving after about 7 months from surgery. However, my incontinence never reached your level. At worst, I'm probably leaking no more than 1/2 ounce per day and use a single pad.
I've tried kegel exercises, physical therapy, Imipramine. Nothing has improved it. I have finally come to understand that some people have different physiology that means there is not enough support under the urethra after the prostate is removed and no amount of medication or exercise is going to change it. Because my incontinence is relatively minor, I am having a sling procedure performed at the end of the month at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.
If you are truly leaking 20 ounces a day, I would say you are a better candidate for AUS but I would also be wondering why you are leaking so much? Have you gotten a second opinion at a center of excellence hospital instead of just a local urologist? You might want to think about it.

EMESLLA CHAIR
I have now used the EMSELLA CHAIR for 4 weeks at the Stay Dry Center. That's 8 visits and I dropped from dripping any time while standing, walking or anything other then laying down or sitting. I was going through two pull-ups a day and now down to one light pad a day and not full and only drip, or sqirt when I cough or sneeze. Much better. I'm just 6 month post surgery and am 72 years old. I still do the kegels but only 10 or 20 a day. The chair is not cover by insurance and I spent $2300 including one more visit this Friday. After surgery, I was going through 6 to 7 pull-ups a day.

My urologist started me on myrbetriq 1st for four weeks and then my 2nd visit he gave me another 5 week supply - i did not have any procedure or anything just OAB - I went back to him this past Tuesday and based off my wetting diary he now has me trying Gemtesa - yesterday woke up with a full diaper and this morning I woke up at 2am to use the restroom. When it was time to get up for work my diaper was dry - keeping my fingers crossed.

Chad