Wouldn't feel as bad if...

Archives1

Staff member
Honestly I'd have a better time accepting my condition if I could comfortably go to the disabled restroom in peace. I hate when people ask me why i'm taking my bag with me. I hate getting looks for appearing to be an "Able bodied man" when I go in and out, and I hate getting asked why I'm using the disabled restroom. I hate revealing to people that I need diapers, and I hate explaining why. it's exhausting.

I hate dealing with it also.I took a family member to the airport for the holidays and he asked why I took my bag with me .

I've had very little problem with people in this way, but there was one incident in a shopping mall's disabled bathroom. I was changing and someone knocked on the door, in am impatient way. I don't know what they expected- I mean, really, I wasn't going to open the door and share the restroom with them... Anyway, I wasn't taking an inordinate amount of time, but when I opened the door to exit, a woman and her daughter were waiting and I got a nasty look. The woman didn't know ANYTHING about who was in there or why, and she knew nothing about me, so it was just selfish behavior on her part. To get to my point, while this woman didn't actually say anything to me, she might have gone to mall security and registered a complaint. I'm sure they would have handled it professionally and with discretion, but if they had not, or if the woman had given me any amount of grief, I'd have probably given it right back to them. Thinking about it after the fact, I realized that wouldn't have been the right way to handle it. I concluded that I would, if it did ever happen, stand up for my rights. I am, by all appearances, able-bodied, but would rather not change myself in a public bathroom stall, when I have a choice. Nobody has to know what my reasons are, but if I was asked to explain myself, I would simply say that I have a medical procedure to carry out that is not conducive to the environment of a public bathroom. I would also likely take the issue to the mall / store management if it was handled in anything but a PERFECTLY discreet, professional and kind manner. To sum up, the minor experience I had with someone who had no more right to use the private bathroom than I do, taught me to have a plan of action. I'm not an aggressive person, but I am learning, if slowly, to stand up for myself.

I find if you tell people straight just why you are in the disabled loo they are more embaressed than you. I once got the evil stare from a lady waiting when I came out so I just looked her straight in the face and said sorry madam but I was just hanging my incontinence slip. Well if the ground could have swallowed her up she just didn't know where to look.

happened to me once using the family restroom at LAX. Some lady was trying to get in there with her kids and when I came out she said "real nice of you to tie up the family/disabled restroom." I just smiled and said, "well it's a lot easier to change my incontinence briefs in a bathroom with space, but maybe you should stop making assumptions about other people's needs"....her face went blank and I could tell she was embarassed and felt bad.

I should have mentioned how I handle changing in public, especially at work- I always wear layers, and keep changing supplies under one of the inner layers. I don't delay a trip to the bathroom just because I'm already wet- I change at my earliest opportunity. At work, I can often switch into something lighter than what I wore in the car. If what I am removing is dry, I roll it up and store it in the sleeve of one of my outer garments, which I'm going to take off, anyway. No one is the wiser.