What did Santa bring you?

Archives1

Staff member
At 36, I am blessed to still get gifts from my parents. This year I got the one big iteam I wanted.. A ninja foodi 2 basket airfryer. I had a small 2qt one for about a year and it is just not enough. And you have to cook part of the meal. Ir fries and then cook the chicken or whatever else you are cooking so... Now I'm having plenty of space and can cook two things at once. Chicken wings and about to be so much cheaper than going to a restaurant.

Nice!, with that air fryer try doing some crispy fried chicken seasoned with Rosemary leaves, Yummmmm

Safer than going to a restaurant, too. Nice parents!
We have a very old pressure cooker - Mirro-Matic. 4 quart. Heavy cast aluminum. It needs a new gasket. It has 4 parts, 2 more for the handles, if you want to get picky. It is about a 1962 model - and that is the issue. All over the web are sites to sell you the gaskets - BUT YOU HAVE TO GET THE MODEL NUMBER OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE COOKER! Hello? There is no number, but they all insist - Look on the Bottom. It's just a pressure cooker. That's all it does. That's all we need. 4 quarts isn't really big enough. 4 Quart is listed for a single person. We need a 6. So we looked at the Ninja Foodi that does about 8 different things, as a friend raves about hers. It has so many electronics, the wife said: not only NO, but Hell No! Her old Singer sewing machine (from her mother) is all metal. No Plastic. No electronics. The light is incandescent, not an L.E.D. It sews. That all it does. Heavy duty, too. She made the daughter's wedding gown with it, and that was intricate. I bet it was nearly the same as my Grandfather's (He was a tailor).
So I looked for just plain pressure cookers. There are some. And the customer reviews are the pits. So much for that as a Christmas present for the wife.
The wife isn't enthusiastic about un-necessary electronics - and our power company has a habit of blowing them with brown-outs and surges, anyway. I think I'd like to try one, though, but bet it has a 186-page book of instructions, and that is just the English part. It probably has French, Spanish, German, Swahili, Chinese, Nigerian, Parsi, and one of the outer planets (Martian or Neptunium).
Well, enjoy!

A few things like big flower pots and buxus plants that I been after for ages my dad got me.

And a shipment of different American chocolate and candies from friend in Seattle.

And I treated myself to lots like new clothes and garden tools and a new pet.

Wife and I bought a 75 inch big screen TV from best buy. I remember some of my bedwetting friends got new plastic pants and diapers for Christmas along with other gifts. This was in the 60s. Such a reminder. It was bad enough to be a bedwetter, but gifts like this?

Hi FlGuy, yes, you are lucky to still have your parents who give you gifts, both the material kind and the gifts that can't be touched or actually seen! I always say, do count your blessings and enjoy them while you can!!! I can't over-emphasize that!
And @Dino, what is your new pet??? Sounds like Santa gave your green thumb quite a boost!!!
And @artiejr, you know for some people Christmas is a time to give the more practical but really needed "gifts."
As for me, I'm going to be really coy, Roy, and say I won't be returning or exchanging my gift, but friendship is perhaps the greatest gift of all, from..........someone! 'Nuff said!

Lots of snacks and food a lot of it homemade, a candle that I regifted, a lighter, a neat flashlight, several cards and phone calls, spiked eggnog that I regifted, spent time with family and friends, and some parts to a mustang GT.. I also havent had a cigarette since the 23rd.

Really happy for you Billie...this was bound to happen with your warm outgoing energy
When the craving strikes just take a 5 minute walk and breathe RUhappy. From what I understand vthe craving can appear when you least expect it and can happen for years but 3 to 5 minutes and you're ok

My honey want a portable photo printer and some comfy pjs and slippers so I hooked her up. Found a couple so soft and comfy nightgowns for her, super fuzzy slippers and a few other things she wanted and a portable Kodak photo printer for her cell phone. Prints really nice photos too.
I got some new pjs, new shirt and shorts and a few other things I wanted. Was a lovely day.

@AlasSouth, Amazon has a number of highly-rated stovetop pressure cookers. Barton makes an aluminum 6-quart one for $34 that has a rating of 4.3 out of 5. Presto has a stainless 6-quart one for $51 that's rated 4.5 out of 5. If y really like your Mirro, they have an 8-quart Mirro aluminum pressure cooker for $78, rated 4.4 out of 5. None of these has any electronics, they're just the type you put on a burner and go. There are other brands as well, such as T-fal and Buffalo. Search for "Presto pressure cooker" (or other brands) then scroll past the sponsored results that are mostly Instant Pots.

As for what Santa brought me, I got a book I wanted from my wife. My ex-wife's partner wasn't comfortable with my kids going out shopping, but didn't object until it was too late to get things shipped, so they ordered a gift for me that will be here sometime this week. They were disappointed, but I had to remind them that Christmas goes all the way through January 5, and Epiphany n January 6 is also an appropriate time for gifts. Lots of people are getting gifts late this year (if at all) so I don't feel like it's anything to get upset over.

Awwwwww, Maymay, I really appreciate your sentiments! The best thing about my gift is it didn't have to be subject to shipping delays or slower than usual mail service! And the price? Well......... priceless!!!! Not even all the money in the world can buy something as precious as friends you feel close to!
I hope you're still enjoying the warmth of having your family around and that things in North Carolina are still holiday-serene!! :D

My son surprised me and had a cord of firewood delivered, and then he came home and helped me stack it. Maybe the greatest gift (other than my marriage and the birth of my two children) I have ever gotten.

Hi @ltapilot, that was a great answer to being disappointed with shipping delays. Christmas does go all the way through Jan. 5 and Epiphany is also a good time for gifts. Especially true this year when gifts and other mail are so late this year.
And @RUhappy. I just had to chuckle about the candle you regifted. Had it been lit? And regifted spiked eggnog which will get you lit!!! :D But snacks and homemade food also can't be beat! I'd love to have some homemade Christmas cookies right about now! And congrats on your not having had a cigarette since the 23rd. Keep up the good work and that will have a starring role in your New Year's resolutions!

Awesome to get firewood and then have family come home for the Holiday to help stack it!
We always used a wood stove to heat the house growing up. Love wood heat. So warm and cozy.

ThatFLGuy said:
At 36, I am blessed to still get gifts from my parents. This year I got the one big iteam I wanted.. A ninja foodi 2 basket airfryer. I had a small 2qt one for about a year and it is just not enough. And you have to cook part of the meal. Ir fries and then cook the chicken or whatever else you are cooking so... Now I'm having plenty of space and can cook two things at once. Chicken wings and about to be so much cheaper than going to a restaurant.

@artiejr I was also gifted plastic pants when I was a boy. It was embarrassing as hell but they’ve become so expensive now, I’d actually appreciate it.

I’m the lucky recipient of delicious baked goods, a bottle of cream Amaretto, and an octopus salad from my Sicilian neighbor.

Boy oh boy, @Jason, isn't it amazing how your perspective changes when you become a fully-qualified card-carrying grown up adult???!!!!
And can we come over for a bit of that cream Amaretto? That octopus salad also sounds interesting as well!!!!