Well I'll be damned!!

Archives1

Staff member
So I made a very interesting discovery a couple of weeks ago when I had my knee replacement revision surgery. My surgeon had prescribed me a muscle relaxer called Robaxin (generic version is call Methocarbamol) and I was to take it every 6 hours during my recovery. I kid you not, I have hardly had any incontinence problems since taking this medication. I take it religiously every 6 hours to keep it in my system. Has anyone else used this medication for over-active bladder? I have a follow up appointment with my Urologist tomorrow to review my most recent Urodynamics test and I am definitely going to bring this up with her and see if she will be willing to prescribe it to me!

@BkLegalEagle congratulations on a successful replacement.

Had to look up Methocarbamol, found it is a muscle relaxer. Guessing your urologist may suggest mirabegron as it targets the bladder. Plan on trying mirabegron as well this winter when I have more time to adjust and gauge any affects to my mental/physical state.

Definitely follow up and let us know.

If I could simply offer the suggestion to be very careful with these muscle relaxer medications, and if you start to feel any dizziness, heart palpitations etc. do not hesitate to get to an ER or call 911 immediately! It turns out I am allergic to most, but my body allows me to take Tizanadine in order to minimize major body spasms in my back, legs, arms etc.
Baclofen literally stopped my heart. If I was not mid-conversation with my wife at the time it’s very doubtful I would still be here. I was just telling my wife I was feeling a little dizzy & tired from this new medication when I went out like a light, period. I woke up in the hospital a few hours later having no idea what happened but thought I’d cracked a few ribs somehow. Turns out I’m very allergic to it, and they had to keep the CPR machine running until they got the Baclofen neutralized. It’s not like Narcan which immediately neutralizes opiates, muscle relaxers do what they say by imbedding in the tissue minimizing the impulses from the brain. So please! Be careful and discuss any types of allergies you might have with your Doc before trying them!

Prior to having my prostate removed, I had a back spasm for the first time in my life. It was very painful so I went to my doctor who prescribed a muscle relaxer (I forget the name of the medicine prescribed). The following day the back spasm started to feel less painful but I realized I hadn't urinated in a day and a half after taking some of the relaxer. I called the doctor to inform him of this problem so he told me to stop taking the medicine. He explained the relaxer can effect the muscles associated with the bladder causing you not to have the urge to urinate. I would doubt your doctor would want to prescribe a muscle relaxant on an ongoing basis to treat your incontinence. I read a lot of information over the past couple of years on incontinence and never heard of the use of a muscle relaxant to treat incontinence.

Let me clarify something I wrote in my response above. I said that I did not have the urge to urinate after taking the muscle relaxant. More specifically, I could not urinate because the relaxer completely relaxed my bladder muscles and I couldn't start my urine flow.

Thanks all for your feedback. I have cut down to taking the medication just twice daily and it is still helping. So far no side effects that I am aware of.