Veterans

Archives1

Staff member
Are there any veterans on here? If so, where do you get your diapers?

Did you know you can get them from the VA?

I have a good friend who sends his bills for products to the VA, he has had quite a bit of pushback from them because he buys the better products(confidry24/7) but they have reimbursed him each time for the last 3 years!! The VA is getting better about caring for our vets but still have a ways to go!! How has your experience been?

I get diapers from the VA but they are inadequate for my needs. I asked for different better ones but "they aren't on the list". I was able to get a booster added but thus far have had much more success with self-procured brands. Happy to hear of other vets having good results. I'd love it if the VA paid for my Confidry 24/7s!

I get Molicares from the VA. It is on there list. Contact the pharmacy and tell them about the undue stress and anxiety. Also don't forget to mention about the diaper rash and the inadequate briefs that they Supply.

Trust me they can provide many different variations of diapers. Your best bet is just speak with your primary physician as well as the pharmacy itself. If you need the item number for the Molly care I can provide it.

Rondom
Yes, I get OAB meds from my VA Urologist. I started with neurology (my first medical confidant on the topic) then primary care, then women's health, then after many months finally got to see urology. It took a while to get through the wickets and finally see urology, but now that I'm there I'm getting a thorough work up and good support. In fact I just had an appointment yesterday and they changed my meds again and the pharmacist is helping me jump through hoops to get better diapers too. Will know by next week if she was successful in getting something non-formulary. Had to try all the crappy ones on their list first but hopeful that I can get something better finally.

@Vestalm:

Let us know how well you score getting approval for 'non formulary' diapers and boosters.

It's true -- you have to 'jump through the hoops' and then nearly 'go off the grid' to get a personally effective medication or product by way of the federal bureaucracy

At my expense, I continue to maintain distinct autonomy in my product ordering routines. I guess I'm just ornery.

The boosters that I've been getting from the VA are actually very good and are on-formulary. They are the Dignity Double Duty and are the flow-through type that are used as inserts in diapers or pull-ups. They can be cut and used as a single layer or left folded over to double the added protection. They are narrow so they fit well in between the gathers and leak guards on all the diapers that I've used them with. I don't need them at all with the premium diapers that I've been buying but I do use them with some of the lesser ones that I still have. I've been traveling last week or so but did get a call from my VA Urology pharmacist and she informed me that she was indeed able to get me off-formulary diapers better suited to my needs. I haven't received them yet but supposedly it is a done deal. Up til now I too have been operating in distinct procurement autonomy since the ones they were providing were woefully insuffient. I've done a ton of self study also, which has driven me to buy all sorts of different diapers and found lots that work and lots that don't (for me). I also am paranoid about running out so I've managed to acquire a huge quantity and have them stashed all over the house and garage. I'm hoping that when I return home tonight there will be a package of my new premium VA diapers waiting for me. The pharmacist was extremely helpful and professional throughout the process. On my first visit with her I took a stack of variety of diapers to her office and showed her a side-by-side comparison of what works and what doesn't and detailed exactly why they do or don't. My urologist was also on board and said he'd sign whatever I needed. From the first visit on I just kept trying. I tried almost everything they offered, one by one, and failed ALL of them. Once you have exhausted their options then and only then will they look to get you something else. I takes time and effort and a LOT of trial and error but it does work. TO all of you veterans out there, be persistent, try to be patient, don't wait, keep fighting for what you need. Best of luck to all.

Hello all. I'm still new here and so I'm exploring the topics to see which ones may have information that can help me get through my situation.

I am a 68 y/o Vietnam Veteran, 25th Infantry Division, with 10 years total service. My last duty assignment was as an Instructor at the BT Center at Fort Dix and I have, since leaving active duty, kept myself in pretty decent physical condition with very few serious health problems over my lifetime. Until now.

At a recent VA annual physical exam my PSA count was 21.53 - way beyond normal range - and a DRE determined that my prostate was very enlarged and has at least one lump in one quadrant so I have been scheduled for a TRUS biopsy at the VA Hospital in Providence, RI in a couple of weeks. In the interim I have been prescribed Tamsulosin which, among other things, has an infrequent but somewhat embarrassing side effect: occasional bed wetting. After the first time this happened I - reluctantly - bought a bag of Depend Flex-Fit pull-ups and wear one to bed "just in case". They suck (can I say "suck" here?) and if I wet heavily they tend to leak possibly because I tend to move around a lot at night.

Anyway, until I receive a pathology report with the Gleason Score and Staging information, I cannot say for certain that I have prostate cancer or, if I do, what the treatment will be. I do understand though, from the VA's site, MyHealtheVet, that the majority of Agent Orange (dioxin) related prostate cancers are aggressive and may require surgical removal of the gland, resulting in a higher likelihood of urinary incontinence than what I am currently experiencing.

So - the question - if the Flex-Fit pull-ups I am currently using for occasional bed wetting are only marginally useful, what can I expect from the VA with respect to adult diapers if incontinence becomes a 24/7 problem? (I buy the product on my own right now since my situation won't be classified as a service related disability until and unless a clear cancer diagnosis is determined.)

Yeah, I also tend to be a wordy bastard (can I say "bastard" here?) so bear with me guys! :D

Hey Pek you have found a great group to find information and help. A friend of mine who is a vet has had incontinence issues for the past 5 years and has had his struggles with the VA but they have gotten better about his supplies and send him regular shipments of good to great products and has no problems with getting them to cover other expenses. Best of luck to you and just do your research on the condition. There are lots of options for treatments out there now.

@Petejc

Thanks, Pete. My personal experience with VA healthcare has been very limited since, until now, I haven't had any serious medical problems. (The prescription they gave me for the Tamsulosin, believe it or not, was the first time in my life that I've ever filled a prescription that had my name on it so much of this is new to me.)

So far the frontline care providers at the VA that I have dealt with have been great - no complaints from me - but it is the frigging bureaucrats and bean-counters above them that I worry about as this situation develops. If worse comes to worse I will probably just pay out of pocket for any incontinence supplies I might need but I hope that doesn't happen.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it a lot.

Paul