Urinary incontinence odor

Archives1

Staff member
Hi my name is Cindyann and i have a severe bladder leakage problem. It is due to a cancer years ago. I wear pads but still i get numerous complaints that i smell like pee. How do i control this. I want people to not smell me.

Lume deoderant makes s soap and a deoderant cream. I waah thoroughly with the soap and the tube deoderant lotion can be spplied to all exterior area of the crotch and even in the buttocks cheeks to provideca film which kills bacteria.

The soap or body waah and deoderant can be used from arm pit to feet.
You can use the body wash or bar soap depending on how you like to wash (you dont need both but i recommend a small amount of deoderant cream after the shower.it last 72 hours

This beats snything you can get in a store just Google lumedeo.com

It's kind of weird Pammy because you suddenly are scentless. It doesn't mask with another scent or leave a surface waxy film like alot of deodorant

Cindy Ann
Hi I also was concerned about this post prostatectomy and lume did help. I would also change my depends frequently. Shaving pubic hair can also assist in cutting down odor. I am lucky to have a spouse that was willing to let me know if I had any odor. Unfortunately even when she said I was fine it’s still a concern and in the back of your mind especially when you are working and around others. Hope this helps.
Boomer59

I would think drinking more water would dilute the urine and decrease oder that a good pad would be able to conceal.

I just use regular deodorant everywhere. But if your pads stink, then try doubling the frequency you change pads. I change a diaper every time I notice it’s wet. It’s not healthy for your skin otherwise; not healthy to have stale acidic urine sitting on your flesh. You may also need some new clothes or to use a stronger laundry detergent because it may be your clothes that stink. I also definitely recommend shaving yourself bald.

@Cindyann12 in addition to drinking more and changing, you may want to look at what medications and supplements you take. Some can produce more pungent urine.

The same goes for your dietary habits. Coffee and certain foods can make for godzilla outcomes.

I agree about washing more often. I have a stash of about 50 washcloths and take a little vaginal sponge bath a couple of times a day. I do a little cleaning down there to make sure I don’t smell like urine.

I disagree about drinking more because that just you have to pee more and you’ll have more accidents. It doesn’t work for me so I drink only about 30-45 oz. per day (including soup, yogurt, ice cream, etc.) when formerly I drank 2L per day. Being dehydrated is not ideal for the entire rest of the body, but if it means I have less bladder cramps, accidents, and waking up in the middle of the night to pee, then dehydration is definitely right for me. Otherwise I don’t get enough sleep, not even close. My pee doesn’t stink to me and nobody has ever told me I smell like pee, either. But I guess trying drinking more is worth a try for each individual.

@Cindyann12

I don’t use expensive deodorant like Lume because regular deodorant works just fine, but here is an article from their website that you may appreciate:

“Adult diapers and pads can catch urine before it leaks onto underwear and clothing, but these products also trap sweat, bacteria, urine, and other body fluids, increasing body odor.

Additionally, older people that take multiple medications may experience other distinct and pungent smells in their urine, depending on the medication. If incontinence is already an issue and it’s mixed with multiple medications, older people may see an increase in odor between their legs.”

theMochi said:
@Cindyann12 in addition to drinking more and changing, you may want to look at what medications and supplements you take. Some can produce more pungent urine.

The same goes for your dietary habits. Coffee and certain foods can make for godzilla outcomes.

^^^ Ditto. Some foods AND drinks will increase urine smell, or even change it to smell worse. For me, coffee makes my urine smell awful, real fast. You can also gage by the color of your urine how hydrated you are. Generally, the darker yellow your urine is, the more dehydrated you are. This isn't just my observation, my doctor told me the same. For myself, the darker my urine is, the stronger it smells. Your mileage may vary.

Many of the absorbent products you use also help neutralize the urine acidity and odor. I use Tranquility ATN diapers which does a good job with odor and skin protection. It can neutralize a good amount of urine and the plastic back sheet keeps down the odor. As Snow says changing often helps too. The absorbent products only keep odor down for a certain amount of time and if saturated will no longer work. I get about six hours from the ATN. Everyone is different and all the suggestions people here commented on help. Wishing everyone the best

I'm always worried about odor. I don't get out often. But if I am its on My mind. My caregiver knows it bothers Me and to let Me know if there is a problem. Sometimes I'm too out of it to smell it Myself. My body has problems regulating temperature sometimes. I have to drink a lot of water. It helps with the problems I have with quadriplegic MS spasms & tremors. But My bladder leaks frequently. I use the nullo internal deodorant. It helps minimize bladder & bowel odors. Interesting reading and info on the Lume product. I had recently seen tv commercials for that product.

Brandie I forgot about that Null good idea to add to the list.
So many good suggestions here starting with extreme attention to washing up.

If im honest with you all, the odour of incontinence is something that you cant ever get under control, no matter how hard you try.

I have worn nappies all my life due to urinary incontinence and my undercarriage constantly smells. Even when im just out the shower or bath, there is still a residual odour, no matter how much a scrub. I suppose its only to be expected when your privates are constantly stewing in your own pee.

I've had sexual partners leave me because they say i always smell down there and that they are sick of the pee smell from my wet nappies, in bed when they wake up in the morning.

I was always smelly as a kid and was ostracised because of it. I was ridiculed, humiliated and bearated for years because of my accidents by kids and adults alike.

Ive had UTIs and a female friend once told me that i had a strong odour when weve been out in public. I was horrified and scurried off to the toilet with my hand bag, only to discover that although she could smell me, i was barley damp. I made my excuses and went home shortly after that because i was worried that people could smell my incontinence.

All in all, incontinence smells and no matter how hard ive tried, ive never managed to beat it.

Drink more water so your urine isn't so concentrated, change more often and take Devrom daily to eliminate odor related to incontinence.