UK Members free nappies/pads on NHS

Archives1

Staff member
Hello everyone was just wondering how many UK members here get free pads/ Nappies off the NHS. I'm one of the lucky ones who gets them for free

@nappyman I get tena maxi, but it was a long and difficult route to get them. I couldn't get them until urodynamics confirmed my symptoms, then I had an assessment with the continence service.

Physlink you are totally right I never thought of it in that way.
I get molicare slip maxi but wish it was tena slip maxi I prefer these.

@nappyman a lot of people don't like the textile backed version I get, but I have got used to them now, cheers Phil

I get a supply of tena maxi slips supplied by the NHS but not nearly enough I top my supply up with what I find on ebay.

My PCT used to issue me with ID slip and they were ok. I sadly got sore between my legs and opted to go over to the convene and leg bag set up.

Not from the UK rather your neighbor across the water in Ireland.

I get them from hse a delivery every 2 months of the large shaped pads and slips and net pants of the ontex ID brand.

Works out as 3 large shaped pads for during the day and 1 slip or nappy for night time use and 1 net pants a day.

I think it boils down to brand preference between each authority. Some use Tena, some Abena, some Molicare and the list goes on. Like Phil said, you have to jump through quite a few hoops to get the ones you think you need.

Dino said:
Not from the UK rather your neighbor across the water in Ireland.

I get them from hse a delivery every 2 months of the large shaped pads and slips and net pants of the ontex ID brand.

Works out as 3 large shaped pads for during the day and 1 slip or nappy for night time use and 1 net pants a day.
I get 2 comfort extra pads for day time use and one tena slip maxi for night and a pack of net fixing pants. These are sent every 3 months. I have to order them 10 days before they are due.

23andpee said:
This is news to me!!! Y'all get them almost free??
I've paid National Insurance since starting work at 16 so not exactly free and you have to prove you I to the NHS continence service first.
I had to do a wet diary for a couple of months after my first appointment.

@23andpee If you have Medicaid or Medicare in the U.S., and your doctor writes a prescription for you, you can get diapers et al. free.

@23andpee we pay about 10% of everything we earn as national insurance. I guess that how much we actually pay for supplies depends on how much we use the NHS.

Most Americans pay more for their health insurance plan than they do for their car, $400/month+ on average. I’ve had years where I’ve paid $650+. It’s typically our second highest expense after rent/mortgage. Then even after paying for insurance, we still have to pay for copays every time we see the doctor or get a prescription.

We *also* get 5-7% tax taken out of our income, to fund Medicare, the government insurance program we’re only eligible to receive after age 69 (in my case; I’m 44 - but for my parents, they got Medicare when they were 67, my grandma got it when she was 65 - the government makes it later and later in life that you can finally actually get your Medicare).

To add insult to injury, Medicare pays crap and most doctors refuse to take it. The few doctors who do accept Medicare have lonnnnnnnnnggggggggggg wait lists. Medicare doesn’t cover dental, hearing, or vision: the help old folks most need! They also don’t cover most medications nor most treatments. For instance, they make cancer patients only have chemo/radiation, when a simple surgery can cut the cancer right out once and for all, instantly.

So Medicare is not something to look forward to having at the end of life. Having only Medicare instead of also having a supplemental health insurance plan is somewhat of a death sentence. We have no choice but to pay into it, though. Economists say people my age (or younger) will never see a dime of our social security because it’s already being spent currently on the huge swath of retired population known as the Baby Boomers. No sense being furious about it; best just to plan to totally support one’s self with private retirement funds later in life. I’ll never see a penny of all the social security taxes that the Feds have withheld from paychecks since I was 15 years old. I try to feel okay about knowing that my social security taxes are taking care of my older relatives, and not actually me, even though it’s my money.

@jason181 have you asked your GP for a referral for assessment by your local continence service? It took me about 18 months to get anything.

physlink said:
@jason181 have you asked your GP for a referral for assessment by your local continence service? It took me about 18 months to get anything.
I was lucky then as I was recieving pads from the NHS supply chain in about 6 months