Time Frame for Dryness and Stopping Protection

Archives1

Staff member
Hi everyone- what’s your opinion and thoughts about how long one should be dry and accident free before moving back to regular underwear when dealing with day/night urinary incontinence? Any suggestions appreciated.

It is different with everyone. I would probably guess two weeks minimum for starting, then keep track after that. Don't get discouraged if it's longer or you have a relapse. It happens all the time.

I agree with arti. You may be excited about staying dry but you don’t want an issue especially out during the day. At night so long as you have mattress protection it’s not as big a deal. Plus staying protected at night is really no big deal.

My surgery was Aug 2019. Still use a light pad. Sneezing, coughing or exertion still causes drips. Else I could get by without. Just feel better with some protection.

15 months post RP and still use 2-3 pads/day. I’ve resigned myself that this is the best it will be. Life moves on.

Does anyone have recommendations about good underwear that works well with pads when transitioning away from diapers?

jam32 said:
Does anyone have recommendations about good underwear that works well with pads when transitioning away from diapers?

I would wear typical white Hanes briefs. When my bladder spasms got really bad during the day; I'd wear a brief underneath White Hanes Men's Underwear.

Ive found men's Hanes have been the most comfortable underwear I've ever worn.

HC

Giantsrule8719 said:
Hi everyone- what’s your opinion and thoughts about how long one should be dry and accident free before moving back to regular underwear when dealing with day/night urinary incontinence? Any suggestions appreciated.
depends on yiulre set for laundry? my problem's incurable.

If you Don’t mind, what’s you age. I’m 75 and almost 5 years out from RP at <0.01 PSA. I think all the guys here with RP should give these simple stats. Obviously, I believe age is extremely significant in relation to recovery of continence and ED. I’m working at both. Recently had severe lumbar problems at L5/L4. Really increased need to urinate, and doing kegals stopped for few weeks. Usually very athletically active, which really helped continence. But back has really cramped - no pun intended - my style. Getting a spinal epidural injection in 15’.

Giantsrule8719 said:

I'd say 30 days of no leaks.