New to forum

Back from my post-radiation appointment with the urologist 5 months after surgery. PSA still undetectable which is great. They finally have the hormone drug so I got that shot which lasts 6 months. Followup with urologist in 6 months, with radiation oncologist in 4 months.

Happy New Year all!

Man, that hormone shot made my butt hurt so bad I could hardly walk for two days but it's fine now. So far I have woken up a couple of times in the night feeling warm but no real hot flashes yet which is the main side effect from the drug. We will see how it goes!

I had my 4 month follow up with the radiation oncologist last week. PSA non detectable which is great news. Bad news is that he wants me to do a second 6 month shot of Lupron after the current one wears off in a couple of months. Not crazy about that but he says it significantly increases chance of total cure.

Down to wearing one small shield a day to catch the little dribs and leaks I still have. So 9 months post surgery I'm mostly dry!

It sounds like things are going really well and I know it took a lot of time and work to get to this point! And what you did pays off big time! I don't know what Lupron is but if the doc says another dose would significantly increase the chance of a total cure, I would just go ahead, bite the bullet, and do it!! And non-detectable PSA is also wonderful to hear about!
Thank you for keeping us posted and may you continue to a complete and total recovery!!!

Lupron is a drug that suppresses testosterone to almost zero. I had one seminal vesicle involved to I had 38 sessions of post op beam radiation and now the hormone therapy to kill and/or suppress any prostate cancer cells that may still be in me. But there are side effects with Lupron - hot flashes, fatigue, and others that aren't fun.

Been a while since I've updated. Met with the radiation oncologist in April and PSA was undetectable but he said I should get a second 6 month Lupron shot which I was not happy to hear. Saw my urologist July 1st. PSA undetectable again and he said no need for another shot so that's what I'm going with. I see the oncologist in early November and the urologist in late December and hopefully my PSA is still good.

I'm still using a minimal male shield and 99% of the time just one a day. The only time I have much trouble with leaks is when I'm sitting and bend down to pick something up off the floor. I guess bending my fat stomach puts pressure on my bladder LOL.

So a little over a year after prostate removal things are going pretty well.

That's really good to hear!! Just keep up the good work and keep taking those walks!!! I think you'll be fine!!!

Update - saw the radiation oncologist a couple of weeks ago which went well. He did not run a PSA and does not think I will need additional hormone treatment unless my PSA starts to rise. I see my urologist December 30th and a PSA will be run at that time. All the bad side effects of the hormone therapy are gone. I'm still wearing the smallest male shield to catch occasional dribbles - rarely do they get more than a bit damp wearing one for 24 hours.

HI @ShellKnobCat, that is certainly a lot to be thankful for this time of year!!! I bet you feel really relieved and can now really look forward to doing things you like!! You have passed a major hurdle and it's now in your rearview mirror!!!
With continuing best wishes have a wonderful Thanksgiving and holiday season!!!

'Nother update. PSA was still undetectable 3 weeks ago at my 6 month urologist appointment which as great news! I see him again in 6 months which will be two years post robotic RP hoping for the same. Still wearing a minimal pad to catch occasional dribbles but I can live with that.

Hi @ShellKnobCat, well good to hear that!!! Keep up the good work!!
Do what the doc says and just keep going with your particular program. And do keep up with the walking!!! If you live in a place that has had a lot of snow in the past week or so, then invest in a pair of snowshoes!!!!😊😊😊😊

Snowshoes are soooooo much fun, talk about walking on water, albeit frozen water! Snowshoes give one superpowers!