New to forum

I plastic bags from walmart, grocrry etc and place them in that after spraying with odor neutralizer. I use Poo Porri and a spray from Meire that is a cleaner/deodorizer by the brand name Myer. Of the 2 it is the cheapst and best and i use it to clean slashes on toilet bowl and floor. Great stuff. I usually put the days pads etc in the bag, spray the absorbent pad and knot. In the am i put in last nights, spray, and put in trash after knotting it tightly

Couple thoughts on products and disposal.
Its been my experience over the years that the "higher quality" products generally feel better wet. What does that mean? I've found that the lighter absorbency products tend to feel wet quicker against the skin. The higher absorbency/quality products seem to do a better job pulling the moisture inside the product and I "feel" dryer. Obviously there comes a point where even the most absorbent product will feel wet, squishy, or leak but it seems this takes longer or more wetness. The feel of the diaper is dry even though it is technically wet. I dont know if this is making any sense, its hard to put into words but once you experience it, I think it will make sense.
After years of using the "regular" trash can. I had 2 problems. (1) odor if the trash can didn't fill fast enough for it to be emptied. (2) weight of a used diaper always seemed to pull the trash bag into the can. Beginning of the year I purchased a Dekor plus diaper pail. It is sold as a baby diaper pail but the trap door in the top is large enough for adult products. It has a sealed lid and door that really do block out odors well. I empty it on saturday and tuesday (although depending on the week sometimes saturday is a push, sometimes have to empty it on friday). For my usage that's about 4-6 pull ups and 4 tape on diapers (I usually only throw 1 overnight diaper and 1-2 pull ups a day out at home). I wear large size in both styles. I get about 1 month out of a refill liner. Purchased pail and liners from amazon. Pail if I remember correctly was around $40.00 and refills vary in price based on OEM dekor vs aftermarket. I keep in a spare room as our bathroom footprint has no space for a "large" trashcan. Seems to work well for my needs. Maybe check it out.

Good suggestions here from everybody.:) I use a medium white garbage bag and toss it every week. @Tim what you said about "feeling dryer" absolutely makes plenty of sense to me. I couldn't have said it better myself! That is because the products that you don't get on the mass market are better made and can stand up to longer usage than something found in the big box stores or supermarkets. Not surprisingly we pay more for the better products because they are more absorbent and use better technology to keep us more comfortable longer. That's not to mention the fact that the better products are imported and the companies "across the pond" probably take incontinence technology more seriously. I've heard of the Dekor diaper genie. I did see one once in a thrift store but there were no bags and no booklet of instructions - oh well! Pretty good price as I remember! You're right I think the new ones are around $40. But all things considered it probably is a worthwhile investment, sounds better than just stashing a garbage bag in a corner!

What brands of diapers and pads do you use? I get buy with Depends for the most part as its not real severe incontinence. But I get moist from sweat in groin from what i am using and that leads to minor odor, medium itch

I use cloth diapers and plastic pants to help control my bedwetting. I rarely use disposable diapers unless I am traveling on vacation. I would highly recommend to dispose the diapers on a daily basis to keep the urine smell out of the house. I did use disposable diapers years ago and that's how I handled it.

ShellKnobCat said:
Another newbie question - what to use for discarded pads and pull-ups? Right now I'm putting them in a medium size trash bag in the bathroom and taking it out to the trash bin when it's full. Odor is a problem.

I use scented, odour eating "nappy" bags. Go for the largest size and with the tie handles on them and they do the trick. Also, if you regularly get your order from a specific company, they can send free wipes and bags for free. The company I get my monthly order from do.

Regarding disposal, I have an Ubbi diaper pail in my bathroom. I needed something strong and air tight as I was disposing my ostomy products for 9 months. But always put them in a diaper disposable bag first. I had used plastic grocery bags but found the disposable diaper bags worked better and were scented. The Ubbi works great and is a great way to dispose of wet wipes as well since you don’t want to flush these too much. Plus I failed to mention in my prior post, a shout out to PMF medical. https://choosepmf.com/home-medical
I came across them while searching for products and contacted them. After a few emails I received a box of 20 different samples from them! Great company. If you’re not sure what will Work, it’s always best to reach out and sample the different products.

@Doug Since you don't have severe incontinence, I use Prevail Daily Underwear maximum absorbency. Your favorite distributor may have them but I get mine from Carewell. I don't know where you live but give them a call and they just may have a warehouse near you so you will get it in just 24 to 48 hours from placing your order. Also see if they have any special promos. The Prevail is very comfortable and really quite absorbent. Another good one is a new one and I don't know of too many distributors. It is Alyne and they have men's and women's models. Both the Prevail and Alyne hold up very well even in this Florida heat so you shouldn't be soaking! Alyne uses a new technology in which the center is thinner than other brands but it really works! They come from Norton Hurley which is in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Shipping is by UPS so depending on where you live it may take a few days to get your order. So give 'em a call and ask for samples and see if they have any specials going on.

Does anyone know of any company that doesn’t charge for shipping of samples? I don’t have much spare cash to pay for shipping right now.

Snow, that's areal gotcha! :O A lot of companies may say their samples (the items themselves) are free, but they still add two or three bucks for shipping. The "free" samples come two or three in a little bag but we still have to pay to have the company put them in an envelope and mail them. I'm afraid at this point I don't know of any place to get free samples, short of going to a local medical supply shop and asking nicely if you could have a couple of samples.

@billliveshere If samples are only $2-$3 in shipping fees, I can afford that. I thought they were probably more like $14. I’ll soon make some calls to the many companies I’ve read about on here. The closest medical supply shop only sells Tena, and those samples were wayyyyyy worse even than Depends. But I know of another supply store about 20 miles away, connected to my health insurance benefits. Next time I’m out that way, I’ll try to get some samples from them, too.

Hi Snow,
I know that if you call Northshore or PMF they will work with you to send out free samples. Some of the other companies only charge $2 or so to ship out samples. Go onto depend.com and I believe they will send out a free sample to your home once along with a coupon. HDIS used to have a great deal on samples. I got an entire carton of samples for 9.99. You may want to call them to see if it’s still available
Good luck

@snow, that sounds like a plan to me! :D Go for it! Another company you can try is Carewell. They do offer quick shipping and they may have samples. But explain what you're looking for and they will help. It's a family run business and I think they listen to their customers. Not really sure if they have free samples but they will accommodate you I'm sure!~ I kind of knew what I was looking for so I didn't ask for any samples. They are on the east coast (Charlotte, NC) so I don't know if they have a warehouse in Utah (or somewhere reasonably close). And North Shore is a good bet, too! Parentgiving does do samples for $2 or $3. Those samples are sent from the manufacturers so it may take several days for you to get them. Fortunately in this day and age there are now so many resources for us to choose from. Another idea would be go to an independent pharmacy, not a CVS or Walgreen. The independent guys may have samples. One near me has samples (a packet of two Seni pull-ons was free). So if you know such a store that may be a good choice too! Good luck and hope you find something good soon!

Hi @Nocturiaa55, I do know North Shore but I don't know PMF. Where are they located? It sounds like they are recommended. I have seen ads in Sunday newspaper supplements from HDIS for a packet of samples like you mentioned. However I haven't seen such an ad in quite awhile. Then again they didn't deliver my Sunday paper last week either!:( If I recall correctly HDIS ads say they will send out a packet of their house brand or Depend for something like $9.99. Pretty reasonable if you use that particular product.:)

@billliveshere Thanks so much for the advice! And there *is* an independent pharmacy not too far from me, so I’ll give them a try.

Hi @billliveshere And @snow I ordered some variety packs from HDIS soon after my first surgery. I just recently went onto their site and I don’t see them. They carry their own brand it seems called “reassure” as well as others. Their number is 800-2MYHOME (269-4663)
They may not advertise the variety packs anymore but it’s worth a quick call. PMF or Professional Medical Fulfillment Toll Free: 877.516.4582 PMF customer service was great. I called them and explained my situation and what I was experiencing and they sent out samples to me. I would highly recommend just an online search of “adult diaper samples” and just start sending emails and calling. I always sat “The Answer is no till you ask!”
Maybe we should start a thread on free samples. Get the companies involved as they would have a captive audience?!?

Hi @Nocturiaat55, I like that "The answer is no until you ask!" That works for me! Never heard of Professional Medical Fulfillment but I'll give 'em a try and see what they have to offer. And a thread on free samples would be a public service for us here on the forum. Hate to say this (and I hope I'm wrong!) but free samples may not be so free anymore. It used to be that samples were mailed out but with the USPS having its own problems these days I think the companies are relying more on UPS and FedEx to send out their samples. And since those are private services they do want their money if clients are going to send out things. But still two or three bucks is reasonable.