Thinking outside the box for Prostatectomy

Archives1

Staff member
I had my first major doctor's appointment since my prostatectomy on Sept 24, 2020 - Today is Nov 2, 2020 - Day 39 (5.5 weeks).

My appointment is to see my retina doctor to have a shot in my right eye (31st shot). I drive 45 minutes, I wait in waiting area for 15 minutes, initial reading eye chart, photos of eyes, 20 minutes waiting in dark room, shot room for about 30 minutes. So 45 minute drive, 1.5 hours at the doctors, and 45 minutes drive back home.

I put on 2 pullups and 1 pad. Removed pad (used dog waste bag) before going into the office, removed first pullup using scissors after appointment (used another dog waste bag). Dry to run a errand and drive home. Both the pad and first pullup were about half full.

@thudson1965 I’m so glad my post helped you; definitely makes the investment well worth while :) Thanks for telling me :)

Thudson1965's idea really works. I have used it for meetings and the annual harvest marathon. My personal method is to start with a Depends Night Defense. I add a Depends Guard to that and then add a Depends RealFit over the top. During the day I change the guard regularly. (Note: Do not remove the strip covering the adhesive section-you do not want the guard stuck to the pull-up.) Eventually, the inner pull-up will start to get wet and that is when I remove it. Will this work for everyone, the answer is no. It does not work for me unless the majority of time I am sitting. I have also not had success with this at night.

There are pull-ups with more capacity on the market and they may work better for some people. I personally didn't care for them because the extra padding made them uncomfortable. I think that the layered method I use works for me because I can get the bulk into a functional but more comfortable spot.

The key to this method is to change the guard regularly. It has a limited capacity and if you get too close to that the pull-up will get wet. I don't think this will work for those who have sudden large voids. It works for me when I am not experiencing those problems which is when I am sitting. Sitting seems to put enough pressure on things to avoid the sudden larger voids.