Thinking about shame

Archives1

Staff member
I've been doing a lot of thinking since my ileostomy about shame. Many new ostomates feel a great deal of shame, involving changes in body image and the ostomy bag itself. They're worried that the bag will show under clothes and people will be able to tell that they wear a bag, they're fearful that they'll smell bad, and they feel ashamed that they can't empty their bowels in the "normal" way. I feel fortunate that I haven't had any of these concerns - I don't care if someone notices my bag, and if they do I'm happy to discuss my ileostomy and the health conditions that caused me to need it.

These feelings are not all that different from the feelings of shame that many of us have surrounding our incontinence and the products that we use to manage it. What's interesting to me is that, despite my lack of shame about my ostomy, I still have a lot of shame about my incontinence. I worry that people will notice that I have to wear protection, I'm fearful that I'll smell like pee, and I feel ashamed that I can't reliably control my bladder.

Why the difference? I have no idea. I think a lot of it comes down to the products used to manage each of the conditions. Colostomy bags are very occasionally the butt of jokes, but I suspect that few people actually know what they are or who has to wear them. Most people don't think of them at all. On the other hand, an undergarment suitable for heavy incontinence looks, feels, and works like a diaper, and most people know what a diaper is and what it's for. Adult diapers are often the punch line of jokes about those who are old and infirm, which are themselves stigmatized conditions in our society.

I've been incontinent long enough that I rarely think much about what I'm wearing - except when I'm worried that someone might see it or otherwise realize that I'm wearing it. Then the shame kicks in. I was at a wound care appointment the other day, and I was lying there half naked with two nurses and a paramedic spreading my buttocks, working on the incision where my anus used to be, and taking pictures of it so they could track the healing process. That didn't bother me in the least, but when one of then needed to move my clothes and uncovered the brief that I'd carefully hidden under my pants when I undressed, I was extremely embarrassed.

I don't know why it's so hard to let go of the shame around a garment used to manage incontinence, but after years of managing my incontinence, it's still there. If we're ever going to improve the stigma around incontinence, we have to get rid of the shame, yet at least for me, it's still there after years of telling myself that it's not a big deal, that it's not a personal failing, and that it's a common problem that lots of people have to manage.

What are other people's thoughts on this? How have some of you overcome the shame associated with incontinence?

(For those who aren't familiar with them, an ostomy is a surgically-created opening in the abdomen for waste to exit. Mine is an ileostomy, which in my case means that they removed my colon, rectum, and anus, stitched up the opening where my anus had been, and poked the cut end of my small intestine through a hole above and to the right of my belly button. It got folded back on itself and stitched down to the skin, leaving a protruding red bit of intestine where my feces can exit. I wear a special bag taped over the opening to catch the output, and I empty it several times a day as it gets full. If you want more details or have questions, please feel free to DM me, so we don't clutter up the forum with unrelated discussions.)

Let me start by saying I used to have a lot of shame because of my incontinence. I am totally incontinent because the nerves to my bladder no longer work due to a surgical operation on my back. I can no longer tell when my bladder is full so I leak and pee all the time. I’ve been that way for many years. I no longer feel shame about my condition and what I wear. I have gotten over it by talking to many people about it and explain what happened. Most people understand and are very supportive. Remember it’s not your fault you have this problem. I totally fine with wearing diapers now. Absolutely no shame. I’m 65 and I don’t care who knows or sees something. It is a part of who I am. Enjoy life as much as you can and educate those around us.

I wonder if shame is related to how we are used to being seen by society in other ways. I was a wierdo, a ditz, a brain. The boys would copy my math homework, but nobody invited me to the senior prom. I learned early to hold my head high and walk to my own rhythm. Progressive OAB became just one more way in which I didn’t fit in. My mystified family still are my family, and my precious misfit friends still are my friends. Everything else is background noise.

I usually think because toilet training is the skill we acquire after learning to put a fistful of food in our own mouth it is the next imposition of the authorty our parents weild sometimes in western culture using shaming as part of toilet training in fact.

For me im amazed at how far ive come in self acceptance as i get older i find other things about my body changing and out of my control like this myterious lose of power over my bladder that stsrted after a bad accident a simple slip and fall doing what i loved in my own home.
Ive conciously relenquished craving for approval for youth or beauty as i set forth on new decades. Ive always known worth is not attached to the external, i gave up dependance for others validation after my fall, took away my vanity and traded dependence on others as aproval for "depends"!

Theres alot of humbling chznges to my body after that fall and abandoning anger and denial have brought a desire to get on with living in my own skin that these aids .like diapers simply let me get on with what i to luve honestly as this. It reminds me to accept myself as i accept others and ask the same vourtesy of them.

Having this group at NAFC over time has been a great form of talk therapy to see hear and feel the support of others in the same boat desensitizes the stigma of wearing a protective underwear.

Just a thought.
Maybe it’s not as much shame as it is being aware or uncomfortable of oneself feelings.

“Shame”
noun
A painful emotion caused by the awareness of having done something wrong or foolish.
"felt shame for cheating on the exam."
Respect for propriety or morality.
"Have you no shame?"
A pervasive, negative emotional state, usually originating in childhood, marked by chronic self-reproach and a sense of personal failure.
A condition of disgrace or dishonor; ignominy.
"an act that brought shame on the whole family."
A regrettable or unfortunate situation.
One that brings dishonor, disgrace, or condemnation.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition •

“self-conscious”
adjective
self-con·scious ˌself-ˈkän(t)-shəs
Synonyms of self-conscious
a
: conscious of one's own acts or states as belonging to or originating in oneself : aware of oneself as an individual
b
: intensely aware of oneself : CONSCIOUS
a rising and self-conscious social class
also : produced or done with such awareness
self-conscious art
: uncomfortably conscious of oneself as an object of the observation of others : ILL AT EASE

Totally understand. Who hasn’t felt this before?
Ahh the hands of time. If I could only go back and have done something different, so my mind would stop beating me up and be more comfortable with who I am. Oh well too late now.
Lol
J🙃eAK

Hi Itapilot,
Your attitude toward the situation is excellent. In some fashion, most on this site can resonate with what you’ve been through in dealing with body malfunctions. I’m diabetic and dealing with bladder and occasional bowel issues and know the stigmas well. I mostly just live life to the fullest and don’t worry much what others think, and so far, no one has noticed or mentioned anything about my condition.

Wish you the best on this journey and thanks for your post.

I think this is a good discussion.
I feel ashamed by my incontinence as an adult. I struggle with both as I have IBD and in flares have bowel accidents. But what has happened as an adult - I feel more at rest with. It is caused by a diagnosis. It is not easy or without shame, I feel horrible when I have to put on a diaper due to a flare after a period without.

But compared to all of that, my bedwetting issues lasting to I was 17 is worse. That was impacting my childhood, it impacted me as a person, my mental health. Still today more than 40 years later, I am not able to talk about it openly. It is good to have a place like this - where we can be open. I am still flushing when someone mention it. It is much easier to talk about my problems as an adult - strange but true.

Amen I think of shame, I think of the emotion connected to being bad or dishonorable. This is distinct from guilt, which is connected to an action; I might feel guilt if I cheated on a test, but I would only feel shame if I believed that this meant that I was a bad person.

Most things do not cause me shame. Early on in my IBD, I did feel a lot of shame, but I got over most of it quickly. My first rectal exam and anoscopy was extremely embarrassing and I felt a lot of shame over having to let a doctor examine parts of my body that I considered extremely private, but I got over that. For the most part I have gotten over any shame over my chronic bloody diarrhea, pain, and urgency.

Yet any sort of incontinence still causes me a great deal of shame. It took me a long time to discuss my fecal incontinence with my gastroenterologist, even though he'd seen it firsthand when I had an accident on the table during the exam. It took me an even longer to find a urologist with whom to discuss my urinary incontinence. When I have to see a doctor, I make sure I'm wearing my most discreet clothes, and if I need to remove my shirt I'll typically make sure the waistband of my brief is carefully folded down so it's not visible. If I have to undress, I carefully put my brief under my clothes so nobody sees it. I do this even at my urologists office, where they absolutely know that I need to wear it.

Maybe it's deep-seated stuff related to when I was potty trained, which happened before I was old enough to remember. Maybe it's because diapers are seen in our culture as being for the immature and those who are old or infirm enough not to be able to control themselves. (I know that's not accurate, but it's how I think most non- incontinent people view diapers.)

I think that those of us with IBD find it easier to accept an ostomy than those who need one because of cancer or emergency situations, because most of us with IBD that severe have had to deal with some level of fecal incontinence. I think that I see my ostomy in a positive light partly because it means I'll never have another stressful run into a store, hoping they have a restroom available and that I can make it in time. (I also see it as eliminating the bowel pain I've had for years as well as the twice-yearly colonoscopy, which are also good.)

I want to put aside my feelings of shame over my incontinence, but I just don't know how. Neither medical professionals nor most of the general public care at all if I'm wearing a diaper, and I want to convince that part of my brain that I shouldn't care, either. Why was shame so easy to set aside when it was my ostomy, but so hard to put aside when it's my incontinence or my need to wear diapers? I wish I knew.

@ Itapilot,
The first thing we learned as kids was controlling our bodily functions. Losing control of those deeply engrained habits probably has something to do with the shame… because as 2-3 year olds, it was a failure to have accidents.

Knowing it’s a medical condition that causes the loss of control helps me put aside the feelings of shame, and move on with life.

I had a similar situation with my eyesight in 3rd grade. I couldn’t see the chalk board and couldn’t function in class until I had an eye exam and got glasses. I had shame that I couldn’t function in class until I solved the problem with a medical device. Same now with incontinence. I’m good with my condition and function in society like a normal person. I just have to use diapers to manage a condition. Others may choose a different management approach for a similar condition and that a personal preference for each who deals with this. Nothing to be ashamed of once it’s understood and separated from the first rule of life which was don’t loose control of your bodily functions.

Though my wife is fully aware of things, I still find humiliation if she walks in mid change. I try hard to not present a husband in diapers anymore than absolutely necessary as I feel less manly. She says she does not care and has no problems walking in and carrying out a conversation as I stand awkwardly against the wall trying to properly replace the garment. I never get a good fit in my rush to avoid the situation but she seems unfazed. I still wear shorts over it when going to bed as well. It is a personal issue much more for me than her, but yes shame and humiliation still exist. I just need to keep in mind to her there is no difference to traditional underware.

@JoeAK - Excellent, Excellent, Excellent response in doing the dictionary definition of both words. Such a difference between the two words, that we obviously use incorrectly. They are not interchangeable. Good job! - Pam

Itapilot and wetdad got me thinking
What a great way to handle these undergarments by translating shame into dignity by wanting to kèep your private clothing private you are actually taking pride in your appearance and having modesty.
This is a sense of self awareness thatis positive.

@ltapilot I recognize that, hiding the diapers even from health professionals and spouse.

Praise to the female doctor who saw me struggling with accidents and had the courage to talk about it and fixed a prescription for diapers and protection. She did what she should do, and I am so grateful for it - but still it was difficult for me when she spotted my diapers.

@Maymay941, I'm still healing from the surgery, which has been quite painful. The surgeon told me to expect that the incision where my anus was removed would open and require about three months to heal, and I'm only at the one-month point right now, so everything in that area is still swollen and hurting a fair bit. Beyond that, major surgery has not been kind to my liver, which already has cirrhosis from an autoimmune disease, so that's been hurting as well.

That said, I'm having less pain than I've had in many years. In spite of difficulties with the surgery, difficulties with the anesthesia, and difficulties with getting ostomy bags to stick reliably around my stoma, I'm very happy that I got the surgery. Not only does it relieve the pain and reduce my cancer risk, but it clears the way for a liver transplant that will take place sometime next year. Once that's done and I'm healed from it, I'll be able to get rid of most of the remaining pain I've been having, as well as get relief from the extreme fatigue and the itching that are characteristic of my liver disease.

I love my ostomy. I really mean that, and I feel very fortunate to be able to say it because I know a lot of ostomates end up hating it. I've already had several people tell me that they'd rather die than have to get an ostomy - which honestly sounds a lot like incontinence, which a 2016 study revealed a majority of survey respondents ranked as being worse than death. (If you're wondering how insensitive someone has to be to tell someone with a brand-new ostomy, "I'd rather die than get one of those," let's just say that I know some incredibly insensitive people!)

Thank you, all of you, for all the support, the suggestions, and the sharing of your own stories. That's exactly what makes this forum so wonderful.

@itapilot The bag is something we must be prepared for when we have IBD. Glad to hear that it works for you. I am not yet at rest with the thought.

Choice versus shame.
I woke up this morning and realized a key component of choosing to wear a protective underwear
Is what makes the difference.
If someone tells me I HAVE to do something I BALK. I get angry sullen I refuse to do that action even if it is to benefit my well being.
I CHOOSE to deal with a body condition by wearing a pull up.
I CHOODE to modestly not be seen by anyone what underwear I have if at a doctor's office I always have put my underclothes in side my outerwear on the side chair for clothes. I did not CHOOSE to have medical people see them even when I was wearing nice things. Why should that be different now?
I CHOOSE to not be seen by family or others when I'm dressing. I don't like being walked in on when I am half dressed. When I wanted to be seen naked or dressed in nice underthings I would do it by CHOICE.
And by choosing, just as much as I choose to wear make up or go barefaced in the world I'm exercising MY will and that is the difference between submitting willingly to the intrusion of Other to examine my body or to keep it out of sight.

Choice versus intrusion or presumption.

@Maymay941 I think you are nailing it. I don’t like to be walked in on either, but as an adult I have a choice to cope as well as I can. And I choose protection when there is a need as it is much better than unprotected accidents.

Maybe that is also why I still feel more ashamed by my bedwetting in the younger days. Because the choice was taken away from me. I was forced to wear diapers or protection, and the consequences of objecting were worse than only a wet bed.

What you wrote made perfect sense to me - I think the choice to act is making a hole lot of difference.