Tabbed diaper for overnight

Archives1

Staff member
Following up on Robbot’s recent thread in the Introductions.

I have started using Megamax diapers for bedtime. The post radiation urgency I am experiencing occurs with apparently high frequency at night. I also use the Trifecta pant to protect against leaks, however there have not been any.

The only problem I see is that it is a little more difficult to get up and use the toilet being in a diaper rather than my usual pull-up. I don’t think I want to develop a habit of wetting even if I think I could make it and pull the diaper down. On the other hand it is much more restful knowing I am protected and not jumping out of bed too frequently.

Helpful, DWLCPAJ. I hope to receive my first order of the Megamax's today or tomorrow.

Hang in there.

There also some very good cloth diaper options available.
Cloth is very absorbent, comfortable and can be a money saver.

I regularly alternate the use of disposables and a variety of cloth style diapers. Easier on the budget now being on a fixed income.

@JoeAK you provide good alternative. Also I suspect that you can create your own level of absorbency as needed. Does the cloth would feel wet to the skin? Whereas in the better disposable the skin seems to stay dry. Can you tell a difference? I guess cloth has greater upfront costs which is gradually recovered. I hope my need is shorter in duration.

Hi there, I am in the uk and have 24/7 bladder problems following a spinal injury and subsequent spinal issues but am otherwise active. I wear the Tena Slip Maxi Active Fit, which is a plastic backed taped adult nappy/diaper. They are the only protection that can cope with my degree of incontinence. As a rule I do not wake at night as a I have little if any feeling of my bladder needing to empty. Sometimes if I do wake up I will try and go to the bathroom and I find that I can undo the top tapes and pull the nappy down sufficiently to wee and then refasten them afterwards. There have been occasions when I have been ‘half-awake’ and have just used my nappy, rolled over and gone back to sleep. They are so absorbent I also find I have no need to wear waterproof pants over the top. An undisturbed night’s sleep is a godsend! I hope you find a solution/product that works for you as I have. Mind you I have had 35 years experience with plenty of mistakes along the way!

@adfw61 God bless you, sir. Thanks for the info. I'm hoping for a similar experience with the Northshore Megamax's...which are due on my doorstep tomorrow.

I am only on this forum for a couple of days now, and I can't tell you how much testimonials like yours are proving helpful and (mostly) encouraging.

Cloth diaper prices vary significantly between companies. Some are well over
$130.00 US dollars. Around 30.00 is a good start. Many years ago I bought 7 for $45.00 each, only because they had prints on them, my choice. The owner of the company retired last year.

You’re correct, some cloth adult diapers can be spendy as an up front cost, but worth the investment in my opinion.
I have purchased various styles of cloth diapers. They include:
flats, contoured flats, All in ones (AIO) w/Velcro closure, snap closure, and pull up style. The flats, pull-ups, and one snap closure style require plastic pants. AIO have a built in waterproof material outer.

I just found a small operation called Rainbow Speckled Frog on ETSY that makes children’s and adult diapers and diaper products. This includes special orders, sizes and colors.
I purchased a couple of adult diaper soaker covers and a couple of adult preflat two color sided diapers.
The preflats are different in that they already have a preform design for easy putting on and wearing. Ingenious design actually.
Each of these items were in the $27. Dollar range.
Photo of cover pant and a similar image of the preflat.
175260aa518fa91c8f22da24ddf6d7a6.jpg
e87a91e038719c8237c31ddde852dd93.jpg

First I have to say that I never tried cloth adult diapers yet. I spend my nights in a Seni Quatro diner, which has enough capacity to handle all my nightly output, no matter what and how much my liquid intake was before and without need of any kind of plastic or fixation pants, only a mattress protector (which I didn't need in the last 2 years).
In my experience good, high quality disposables are extremely good in wicking away all moisture from your skin - they feel always comfortable and dry to me. Sometimes I wake up in the morning, feeling dry, starting to think "hey, a good night, kept dry!" - until I realize how swollen the diaper is; I can't imagine that wet cloth has such a dry feeling. And. btw., I've never had any skin issues although wearing 24/7. Seems that good diapers help a lot with that too!
Everyone with good experience with cloth - I don't want to say anything against it, whatever works for you and makes you feel good, is perfect. But I can't imagine for myself...

When confidry (dry 24/7) went bankrupt, I started thinking what happens if disposables are hard to get or cant be had at all? I wear pullups in the day time and tape on diapers at night. I purchased a few leakmaster prefold cloth diapers in overnight weight, and leakmaster plastic pants. not long after this better dry were unavailable for a period of time. As was stated above everyone has their preferences. For me the cloth is ok and if there would happen to be no other options I can get used to them, but...my preference is disposables. There are "fitted" cloth diapers as in the photos above. the kind I chose are a flat rectangle that is held on with safety pins. These take some practice to apply and pin. Personally I would not wear these in place of pullups, they are far to thick. If pullups become unavailable then I will need a different idea for a replacement. The absorbency is on par with disposables. I have had some wetness in the plastic pants when I removed them. Modern disposable absorb a lot and the wearer still feels "dry". When the cloth diaper is wet it feels wet. In addition cloth diapers require more effort then disposables. With a disposable one takes it off, rolls it up and tosses it. The cloth diaper will need to be washed. If I am going to wear cloth for more than one night, then I rinse the diaper in the bath tub, ring it out as best as possible and store it for washing. If I am only wearing for one night then I don't bother storing it goes right into the washer. plastic pants need rinsed out every time and hung to dry. An advantage to cloth is the cost is a one time shot (till they need replaced of course) vs. disposables. I cant say how long they last. I've had mine for approx 6 months worn them maybe 20-25 nights total, plastic pants and diapers are both in good condition. Not sure how long they would last if I wore them every night?

My cloth diapers are about 7 years old, still in decent shape. I buy polyurethane plastic pants. Oils and. Creams do not bother them. I've had regular plastic pants only last 4-6 weeks.

Tim said:
When confidry (dry 24/7) went bankrupt, I started thinking what happens if disposables are hard to get or cant be had at all? I wear pullups in the day time and tape on diapers at night. I purchased a few leakmaster prefold cloth diapers in overnight weight, and leakmaster plastic pants. not long after this better dry were unavailable for a period of time. As was stated above everyone has their preferences. For me the cloth is ok and if there would happen to be no other options I can get used to them, but...my preference is disposables. There are "fitted" cloth diapers as in the photos above. the kind I chose are a flat rectangle that is held on with safety pins. These take some practice to apply and pin. Personally I would not wear these in place of pullups, they are far to thick. If pullups become unavailable then I will need a different idea for a replacement. The absorbency is on par with disposables. I have had some wetness in the plastic pants when I removed them. Modern disposable absorb a lot and the wearer still feels "dry". When the cloth diaper is wet it feels wet. In addition cloth diapers require more effort then disposables. With a disposable one takes it off, rolls it up and tosses it. The cloth diaper will need to be washed. If I am going to wear cloth for more than one night, then I rinse the diaper in the bath tub, ring it out as best as possible and store it for washing. If I am only wearing for one night then I don't bother storing it goes right into the washer. plastic pants need rinsed out every time and hung to dry. An advantage to cloth is the cost is a one time shot (till they need replaced of course) vs. disposables. I cant say how long they last. I've had mine for approx 6 months worn them maybe 20-25 nights total, plastic pants and diapers are both in good condition. Not sure how long they would last if I wore them every night?

Tim,

My cloth diapers have lasted for 6-10 years easy. I wash and care for them in a manor similar to you. I hand rinse prior to washing every time.

Like I stated in prior posts. There are many brands of cloth pull-ups that work very well.
There is an all in one pull-up diaper that is phenomenal, however it is expensive. It is the Lounge Diaper by Threaded Armor.
I recently purchased one, and it’s everything TA says it is.
Kind makes an all cloth pull-up that requires plastic pants.
Dependeco brand and EcoAble brand has many varieties of cloth options as well.
TA is by far the most comfortable and most discreet under clothing.

I normally wear disposables over cloth too. But I’m trying to cut expenses, so I’m wearing my cloth diapers about 3 days a week at night and a couple times a week during the day now. It’s working out ok.

I’ve also seen and heard about frequent shortages and raising prices.
So much disposable products comes from Asia, and I’d imagine caught up in trade issues and material availability, costs etc.. we should expect to see more delays, price increases and unavailability ahead. Probably best to plan for it.
Let me know if you want links to some of the cloth options I’m aware of.
Joe
Using Cloth helps.

Thank you JoeAK. Good real world "testing" info you provided. 6-10yrs is fantastic! If there were to come a time that good disposables cant be had, or if the price were to climb to high, that is encouraging to hear the longevity. I went to Thread armors website. Those appear to be a great looking option B if pull ups become hard to get/pricy. Yes they are a tad salty but I did some quick math. The pull ups I use are $.70 each. For argument sake say the thread armors worn every day would last 2yrs I could buy 8 pair and be out the same money. It may be time to consider trickling a few of those into my 2nd option storage drawer just to have them around. Thanks again.

I totally agree with the convenience of disposables as compared to cloth. I wear disposables during the day and when I travel use disposables day and night. I’ve given up asking hotels if they will provide mattress protection under the sheets. I simply bring a travel friendly plastic sheet I put on the bed under the sheets .to protect against leaks. At home I’ve always used thick pin on cloth diapers with roomy plastic pants that have snug waist and leg elastics. Being a primarily side sleeper this works much better to protect against leaks. Disposables at night, regardless of brand are more problematic, for me, with leak issues. Everyone is different and yes the wet cloth diaper definitely feels “wet”. I don’t mind this however since I’ve worn cloth at night my whole life.