struggling with incontinence mentally

Archives1

Staff member
hi guys, it's been a while since i've been on here, i'ts been a rough couple of months and i've been really struggling with the incontinence mentally. changing constantly has become emotionally and physically draining, it's affecting my tutoring job, and school. i'm just having heavy incontinence all the time and it's driving my crazy. the bowel incontinence especially is defeating.

went and got a check-up at the hospital a couple of times to see i'f anything is wrong, but physically i seem to be fine. my diet hasn't changed either, i follow it pretty strictly to avoid this sort of thing. either way, been pretty depressed about this for a while, thought i'd vent.

Perhaps your body has decided it no longer likes one of them. Not asking meds just trying to spark a thought here. Antibiotics? Antihistamines? Muscle relaxants? Please don’t respond. I am just trying to give food for thought. I hope you figure something out.

Alh63 said:
Perhaps your body has decided it no longer likes one of them. Not asking meds just trying to spark a thought here. Antibiotics? Antihistamines? Muscle relaxants? Please don’t respond. I am just trying to give food for thought. I hope you figure something out.

Maybe....but i don't really have an option of going off meds, at least not without consequences i'd rather not go through you know,

Understood. Alternatives that may do the same thing might work without your body not liking them. Sometimes fillers within the medicine are the culprit behind problems.

I am not in the medical field in any way and don’t want to pretend that I am. Just trying to be helpful. I most certainly would not try to get anyone to stop taking something that is beneficial to them. Just giving food for thought to perhaps ask your physician.

Alh63 said:
Understood. Alternatives that may do the same thing might work without your body not liking them. Sometimes fillers within the medicine are the culprit behind problems.

I am not in the medical field in any way and don’t want to pretend that I am. Just trying to be helpful. I most certainly would not try to get anyone to stop taking something that is beneficial to them. Just giving food for thought to perhaps ask your physician.

yeah i can't really change to any alternatives either, but thanks for the suggestion, it's just really weird what my body is doing lmao,

I sent you a PM if you want to vent 101. I'm not saying this will apply to you but I went through 2-3 pullups during the day with daytime incontinence limiting my fluids.

Its possible it was a hypoglycemia or a weak bladder muscle thing but either way I've gone down to 1 pullup a day. didn't really change my diet much, actually added more beverages and have had less leaks.

My point is sometimes our issues can be worsened by anxiety or negative thinking. I was so worried about people judging me for having a soda I ended up drinking less water too which made issues worse..The best thing to do sometimes in life is take it a day at a time.

I had days where it was horrible and I wanted to cry because of the bladder spasms and pain, people noticed I changed my pants or had issues etc, however when I decided to let go of that worry things got better.

@christy4 you might need a antidepressant to help you adjust to what is going on. I know here my therapist tells me, she wants me happy even though so many things seem wrong

christy4., I have same problem. Its like my Bladder doesnt want t hold urine at all. I always wear a pullup and A pad in it every day, Its not fun, because you worry about it all the time.I dont know how old you are but I am 71 and have had this problem for 35 years , it just gets worse . I have gone to numerous Drs, with not much cure or help. I have gotten botox treatments and the they help somewhat, but i have to drive 2 hrs to get one, I hope you get help, I also went to physical therapest and wow she had me doing exercises almost half the day. wasnt for me plus I didnt notice a big change. i quess i want a m merical, and thats not happening Good luck and if you find something that works let us know. Oh bi took a prescripton pill for years , it helped a little but it dried my mouth more than my bottom.

ICGamer said:
wills1 said:
Would you date me who has incontinence too? 31 m.

I don't really think that is offering anything supportive at all. No offense.

yeah this was not appropriate and actually makes me a little angry, sigh. i dunno if its me.

colin13 said:
christy4., I have same problem. Its like my Bladder doesnt want t hold urine at all. I always wear a pullup and A pad in it every day, Its not fun, because you worry about it all the time.I dont know how old you are but I am 71 and have had this problem for 35 years , it just gets worse . I have gone to numerous Drs, with not much cure or help. I have gotten botox treatments and the they help somewhat, but i have to drive 2 hrs to get one, I hope you get help, I also went to physical therapest and wow she had me doing exercises almost half the day. wasnt for me plus I didnt notice a big change. i quess i want a m merical, and thats not happening Good luck and if you find something that works let us know. Oh bi took a prescripton pill for years , it helped a little but it dried my mouth more than my bottom.

yeah i'm almost 28, its been rough, i've even had a colostomy and had it reversed due to a problem with infections. i'm kind of tired of being in bulky briefs 24/7. kind of lost with how i can manage better.

ICGamer said:
I sent you a PM if you want to vent 101. I'm not saying this will apply to you but I went through 2-3 pullups during the day with daytime incontinence limiting my fluids.

Its possible it was a hypoglycemia or a weak bladder muscle thing but either way I've gone down to 1 pullup a day. didn't really change my diet much, actually added more beverages and have had less leaks.

My point is sometimes our issues can be worsened by anxiety or negative thinking. I was so worried about people judging me for having a soda I ended up drinking less water too which made issues worse..The best thing to do sometimes in life is take it a day at a time.

I had days where it was horrible and I wanted to cry because of the bladder spasms and pain, people noticed I changed my pants or had issues etc, however when I decided to let go of that worry things got better.

yeah, i used to go through like 3-4 adult diapers, dry 24/7 ones everyday including the night, it's a little worse now but i'm changing more often due to bowel accidents, i do still have a considerable amount of bladder accidents but honeslty its easier to manage than bowel.

Do you feel you are getting adequate or good care from your doctor, personally? There is no harm in a second opinion if you aren't.

Hi @christy4, I have read this thread for some time without commenting. But now I think a second opinion sounds like a good idea. I read your introduction and you were told at the hospital that everything seemed to be fine physically. But with this incontinence there is obviously still something going on which does not make you feel fine.
Do you think you can see another doctor and ask exactly why you're having these issues? Do tell the doctor you seem to be stymied because what you're doing, like diet and medications, doesn't seem to be doing it for you.
Sometimes getting someone else's point of view may be the key! A different doctor may try to delve more deeply into why you're having these issues, but more importantly, may be more inclined to actually listen to you and be more willing to open up if you press for answers.
So let's go with the hope that your next doctor will give you the answers you need. I hope this helps you. But please know this is a good place to just vent and a lot of times that helps you feel better knowing there are people who understand what you're going through.

ICGamer said:
Do you feel you are getting adequate or good care from your doctor, personally? There is no harm in a second opinion if you aren't.

Yeah, so i've had a bunch of doctors in the past who seem to not really care much about what was going on at the time and the one I see now is a lot better is how I feel. But I did end up getting a few second opinions and getting some tests/examinations but nothing has come up yet.

billliveshere said:
Hi @christy4, I have read this thread for some time without commenting. But now I think a second opinion sounds like a good idea. I read your introduction and you were told at the hospital that everything seemed to be fine physically. But with this incontinence there is obviously still something going on which does not make you feel fine.
Do you think you can see another doctor and ask exactly why you're having these issues? Do tell the doctor you seem to be stymied because what you're doing, like diet and medications, doesn't seem to be doing it for you.
Sometimes getting someone else's point of view may be the key! A different doctor may try to delve more deeply into why you're having these issues, but more importantly, may be more inclined to actually listen to you and be more willing to open up if you press for answers.
So let's go with the hope that your next doctor will give you the answers you need. I hope this helps you. But please know this is a good place to just vent and a lot of times that helps you feel better knowing there are people who understand what you're going through.

either way thanks for the advice, i'm thinking might it be stress or something, i wouldn't be too surprised if it is but I'm really struggling. I don't normally share but I am clinically depressed and have been on anti depressants for a while now, but like those medications haven't changed recently. Either way, maybe it's just work/school stress.

Hi @christy4, Stress could very well be a possibility and we all have stressful moments from time to time. And that's especially true now. But since you say you are clinically depressed do you see a therapist on a regular basis? If not, it might be a good time to consider one, if one is available. I know during this pandemic that's easier said than done but it may still be worth finding out.
But it would be good to tell a professional about what you're feeling and even just talking to someone qualified will help you feel that someone cares and that someone may be able to offer you other alternatives. And I wonder if your medications are still doing what they are supposed to do. Depending on how long you've been taking them, it may be time for a medication "tune up."
But please know we are here and open 24/7/365!

One thing I did want to ask is it possible you have IBS? If you are having bowel problems, have you seen a gastro doctor?