Soggy while up and about

Archives1

Staff member
Hi everyone
Im making progress in regards to continence. At night,I can go 6 hours straight without going to the bathroom. While sitting, I can go a couple hours or so without making a pit stop. The issue is when im up and about, the floodgates open and won't shut off. I do my kegels either sitting or laying down, only twice while standing. Also I haven't had the energy to go for more than a couple of walks. Do you think doing kegels while standing will help?
Additionally, at times it feels like they suck a steel rod in me below the scrotum and whacked on it about ahalf dozen times. Is this normal?
I've stopped drinking anything caffeinated, drinking herbal tea and water.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks

I was the same and finally had noticeable improvement 8-9 weeks. I did pelvic floor exercises including core exercises and walked twice a day for about and hour. Not sure whether it was time or the exercises that helped, but patience is the key which I did not have.inwas down to light pad by 12 weeks and stopped wearing any pad at 6 months but could have stopped much earlier, but wanted to be safe. The emotional journey was tougher than I expected.

I’m 9 weeks after Radical surgery. I can control a little at night, but going thru the same during the day. Is OK while sitting as well, but floodgates open when I get up.
Going thru 5 or 6 pads daily. Doing kegels and daily walks. Becoming a little discouraging. I’m not seeing any real improvement during the day. I’m 74, in fairly good shape. Looking forward to when my system will wake up, if that day ever comes🙄. Looking for any encouraging comments.

@Denardis I'm not sure if this is encouraging but for 4 months after my surgery I had completely uncontrolled dripping with squirts when getting up from sitting. Then quite literally one day (Thanksgiving to be exact) and to my great surprise, I had that old feeling that my bladder was full and I had to pee. I went to the toilet and peed like a 20 year old! At that point I would say I was about 60-70% continent and instead of full tape up diapers just had to use a pull-up and pads. I'm now down to one pad and one pull-up for the day and one pull-up for the night, which with one visit to the toilet at night is usually dry in the morning.

Thanks so much for your comment. Looking forward to that memorable day yet to come. A day of celebration.

ScottB said:
Hi everyone
Im making progress in regards to continence. At night,I can go 6 hours straight without going to the bathroom. While sitting, I can go a couple hours or so without making a pit stop. The issue is when im up and about, the floodgates open and won't shut off. I do my kegels either sitting or laying down, only twice while standing. Also I haven't had the energy to go for more than a couple of walks. Do you think doing kegels while standing will help?
Additionally, at times it feels like they suck a steel rod in me below the scrotum and whacked on it about ahalf dozen times. Is this normal?
I've stopped drinking anything caffeinated, drinking herbal tea and water.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks

Thank you for this post. It is as if I wrote it with my experience. As the result of reading yours and a couple responses, I will start walking and some exercises. After surgery, July 23rd, I replaced 400 sq feet of flooring, wallboarded a 10x14 room, plastered and painted, tiled, plummed and changed the lighting in the bath. Leaking all the time from stress moves. Now that I have figured this Kegel thing out a bit, thanks to a prior posting by a kind person, I will do the exercises and walking. This has been humbling to say the least. Take care guys.

Denardis said:
I’m 9 weeks after Radical surgery. I can control a little at night, but going thru the same during the day. Is OK while sitting as well, but floodgates open when I get up.
Going thru 5 or 6 pads daily. Doing kegels and daily walks. Becoming a little discouraging. I’m not seeing any real improvement during the day. I’m 74, in fairly good shape. Looking forward to when my system will wake up, if that day ever comes🙄. Looking for any encouraging comments.

Find a post about Kegels while peeing. I just dumped pee. Like a race horse. Now I do it very slowly and apply Kegel stopping waiting..peeing. Stopping etc usually 3 times. 5 days now and amazing change in control. I couldn't figure what I was to pull up on before. Now I feel it.

I am nearly nine weeks in and for the first four after my catheter was removed I leaked when walking. After the fifth week it started to improve whilst walking around the house but not when I went on a walk of any distance. Here I am at nine weeks and just slight improvement on the walking, I can get from my car and around a local shop and back again without leaking but still the walk of any distance is the same. I do the pelvic floor exercises six times a day and walk five times a week. I play table tennis once a week for an hour and a half and have no control during this. I am not letting leaking get in the way but I do feel dragged down by it now and then. When I read these forums though it gives me great hope. Good luck Steve

Thanks everyone!
This forum gives me hope that things will improve. It also helps me to put into perspective where I should be in my recovery vs. where I feel that I should be. I keep forgetting that I'm only 3 weeks post surgery. This has been a great benefit to me, and I'm so grateful for everyone who has provided input.

Oct 6 was the day of reckoning for me. 2 1/2 months later I can stay 95% dry at night but I get up twice. If I’m sitting or laying I can go for a long time then get up and pee. But, if I go fishing in the boat, go to Sam’s Club and pick up a case of water, or walk for an hour, I come back EMPTY.

Yesterday I went all night dry and changed pull-up around 2 pm it wasn’t full. About 16 hours new record lol. Then I ran a few errands and that thing was full in 3 hours. Ugh.

I’ve always just used the Depends from Sam’s. 3 a day now so it is getting better I guess. Very slowly.

A massive breakthrough today after exactly 10 weeks from my operation. I managed to go to the large supermarket, do the shopping and back again without leaking. I then took the dog on a 2 mile walk but couldn’t manage that at all. It’s as though I got tired and could no longer hold. That said I am over the moon I managed what I did. Good luck all

Not to re-hash. Had prostate radical surgery on Oct 12 and have still don’t have any improvement at all with incontinence. I’m 74, go to the gym a few times a week, walk several miles per week, doing kegels. Getting to be very frustrating. Using 6 + pads daily with depends. I hear success stories, but none happening for me☹️.

Hi there Denardis my surgery was July 23. Same situation as you until about month 4. Slowely bed went down to one time up. Sitting is fine. Can get to bathroom holding a kegel. Up and about is ok for about 12 min. Things are changing, but very slowly. It's quite frustrating.