Sling procedure

Archives1

Staff member
5 months post robotic prostate removal and still leaking, using 3 depends a day. My surgeon says if after a year I am still leaking fairly badly, he can do a sling procedure. Has anyone ever had that done; did it stop the leaking; and were there any side effects or reasons not to do the procedure?
Thanks much

I'm coming up on 18 months post-surgery and I am also considering the sling procedure. I continued to improve up to about 9 months post, but have plateaud. My doctor said the same,, wait a full hear (and then Covid arrived). Appreciate any input available.

4 years post prostatectomy, incontinence was a problem day one. Did 12 weeks of Kegel exercises with physical therapist but didn’t find a solution. Was doing 3-4 pads/day, decided to transition to penile clamps. Did penile clamps 3 years, I liked the clamps better than pads but clamps are no cake walk.
Decided to try the sling and I’m now 2nd week post outpatient surgery. No clamps or pads needed after surgery. Still adjusting to having no aids but overall it’s been great.
There has been a couple of weeks of pain from incision but nothing crazy.
The sling is permanent, hidden and requires no maintenance.
Still have some small leaks in the right situation but no problem with stress incontinence and happy to be away from the clamps.
The sling should be considered a viable option.

Thanks for the feedback Bobdog and dcraw34.
Bobdog - can you elaborate on your comment about your side effects statement?
dcraw34 - Would you mind providing an update in another couple of weeks to see how you're doing?

All us leakers (pun intended) are looking for some hope that if we can't get dry, there is a solution that might be available. I know the other alternative is placing a valve inside us that we open and close, but they fail after a number of years and it has to be repeated. The sling seems much preferable if there are nominal side effects.

I second Mlrichards comments on side effect and the update needed. Thank the three of you for commenting.

Will do. I expect a glowing follow up report. If a sling is the decision the only suggestion I have is to pick a surgeon that has a long list of sling installations. I’ve read that the sling is a delicate procedure with placement and tensioning being paramount.
I live in Baton Rouge but drove 70 miles to Tulane in New Orleans because their surgeon was touted as whiz-bang.

Follow up on the sling. 45 days post op. Everything looking good. Wearing no pads or clamps. There are some limitations, caffeine can promote leaking, alcohol requires a pad. Exercising, walking, running, no problem.
No real side effects. I sometimes forget that incontinence is an issue and I get myself in trouble. IE - having s couple of drinks with family without pad.
Overall excellent results compared to post prostatectomy.

Thudson1965,

Going on 6 months post sling op. Still pretty much the same as day 1. Leaks and drips are minimal, I do use a thin shield pad daily but no other issues. I workout, run, go through daily life with no pad replacement needed.

I know how demoralizing and all consuming incontinence can be in ones’ life. After 4 years of incontinence I was still very hesitant to go through another operation and my distrust in doctors was high.

But I will honestly said my only regret is that I didn’t do the sling operation sooner. The sling requires no manipulation or future replacement. If you are a candidate for the sling it would be worth your investigation.
Good luck.