Position

@JC1471

No, side position is not good, but side sleepers are side sleepers for a reason: They cannot sleep on their backs - it just doesn't work with how their bodies naturally want to be positioned. Plus, back sleeping increases more than side sleeping, the amount of snoring and sleep apnea.

Per medical sources:

"Snoring is often the sign of a condition called obstructive sleep apnea, which raises the risk for diabetes, obesity, hypertension, stroke, heart attack and other cardiovascular problems."

I used to be a side sleeper. Started using CPAP for apnea last Nov. so now sleep on back. Had one night incident since this change.

I am also a CPAP user, but I can't sleep on my back. I am a side sleeper but use a nasal pillow instead of a mask. That works well for me while sleeping on my side.

Had to go from back to side sleeper due to Degenerative Disk. Use CPAP since before issue. Several of the new "masks" are better for that - the nasal pillow kind.
I never had much luck with those special pillows, the ones with the contours for the mask, but some people swear by them.
Yeah, disturbing the mask can wake me, but I have to pee, anyway. That reduces the leakage - talk about ironic. Right now, my pads are enough, but I have to use briefs, not shorts. I do have acceptable reports from the machine about very little leakage.
That first wake-up on the machine was a revelation - it was so fine to not be tired to death! It improves your health, generally, if APNEA 's one of your problems.

I believe most of my night is on my back. But I have woken up on either side. Only way I can't sleep is on my front. Hurts my back. Interesting note (at least for my body) I cannot urinate when laying on my front. Maybe other men are like this also. Combination of my body weight pushing on the angle of my "outlet"? Can't "go" past the bend? If I could figure out a way to only sleep on my front my bedwetting would probably stop!

Garfield said:
Side sleeper my whole life also I use a bypap when I sleep

Is it fair to presume you meant CPAP when you said 'bypap' or is that a different device?

Not being critical, just curious if there is a different machine I don't know about.

I sleep on my left side and gravitate a bit more to the front. Sometimes I wake up on my left side. Guess I move around a bit, then!

Did you note that with Covid19 patients in ICU, they have to put them on stomach? To improve breathing. I think they were in coma, maybe induced, maybe not, but probably on heavy pain drugs. We don't even have to guess if they had catheters.
Covid19 survivors: do they have a continence issue? Still have to sleep on stomach?
Don't get it! Stay safe! Wear masks!

Tim said:
I believe most of my night is on my back. But I have woken up on either side. Only way I can't sleep is on my front. Hurts my back. Interesting note (at least for my body) I cannot urinate when laying on my front. Maybe other men are like this also. Combination of my body weight pushing on the angle of my "outlet"? Can't "go" past the bend? If I could figure out a way to only sleep on my front my bedwetting would probably stop!

I totally empathize with you, Tim. I simply cannot sleep on my back. With advanced spinal disc degeneration (severe osteoarthritis, and still progressing), not only can I not sleep on my back, my hips (around the top of the femur, the tronchaters) hurt me if I stretch, if I don't stretch - I can't find a solution.

I've decided to use Hydrocodone sparingly, as it doesn't last but a couple of hours, and the constipation it creates and dehydration of the body, and damage to the stomach lining and esophagus (can create erosive damage to it, even to a stage of cancer) --- I don't want pain pills on a regular basis.

@stuart

You're quite welcome. I'm glad I could impart some important knowledge on the side effects and dangers of opiod pain-killers. Many doctors could care less, and simply prescribe them without giving you the full knowledge of what adverse reactions are, and these are the most common reactions to opiod use.

Hi @AlasSouth, I didn't know that about Covid patients in the ICU. Of course with them, breathing is the big issues and maybe putting them on their stomachs does help with breathing. As far as survivors having continence issues I guess it would depend on which organs are ultimately impacted by the virus because Covid strikes no two people exactly the same way. But I can tell you one thing: I sincerely and totally hope that NONE of us here ever has to find out first-hand.
So please wear masks, keep your distance and wash your hands!

I am a messy sleeper, Toss and turn and never wake in the same position!! I also have degenerative discs in my neck, always have pain to deal with when laying flat. I actually HATE sleeping if that makes any sense!!