Plastic Vs Cloth-backed Briefs ??

Archives1

Staff member
Hi Everyone,

When it comes to tabbed briefs, do you prefer cloth-backed briefs or plastic backed briefs? As a general rule, is one more used than the other? Thanks in advance for any insights on this.

-Aaron

I find the cloth tend to wick through, so I stick with plastic. The cloth are nice when in a quiet professional setting but need changed more often to prevent the moist feeling on the legs.

It’s a heatwave today so I really regretted wearing my normal ‘going out’ plastic backed ones. It’s so hard to find cloth backed ones with a high absorbency though. Plastic backed ones meet my needs a whole much better but they’re torturous in the summer apart from round the house where I can just wear a t-shirt.

wetdad said:
I find the cloth tend to wick through, so I stick with plastic. The cloth are nice when in a quiet professional setting but need changed more often to prevent the moist feeling on the legs.

I agree 100 percent cloth-backed always feels damp and clammy on the outside when wet and the "breathable " diapers breathe odors right out I will stick to plastic-backed thank you

I usually use plastic at night. I use the Depend brand 6 tape medium size. I have tried several cloth backed and they tend to leak at night even if they are supposed to be the same or more absorbency level. I do use a pull on cloth backed during the day most of the time unless I am in a situation where I may not be able to change as often which I just avoid now. Another good think about the plastic is all the ones I have used are tapped on so they can be changed without removing shoes and pants. Plastic does seem a lot hotter. Nothing is perfect but glad to have them.

Cloth vs Plastic, I choose plastic all the time. I have tried the clothed back style once. I am not a fan. I will deal with the hot summers and cold winters in plastic backed diapers. They also contain oder much better then cloth. They hold up much better. I use Tranquility ATN's during the day and use the more expensive brands like Megamax, Northshore brand and Rear to name a few. I have also used the ABDL diapers that have unbelievable absorption for them nights out on the town. I don't fret to much on the printed diapers as they are amazing and don't need to be changed that often. Even the Abena L4 I have used during the day also when I am not able to change that often. With the price hikes on diapers lately, I've had to change my budgeting when I buy in bulk. It would be nice if health insurance companies would cover at least half of the bill for buying our protection. I am not old enough to get Medicare at this time so I bite the bullet and pay these high prices. I am sure I speak for everyone here. Sorry for that rant. Chow for now.

Hello i use the breathable tena ultra during the day. Im happy with them. And my insurance covers them. At night i use the betterdry. They hold up better at night. And are much more absorbent. I'll use them on long drives too.

I'm full on the cloth backed side - daytime Attends Flex (10), night time Tena Proskin Maxi. I enjoy to feel never wet/sweating, my skin seems to be thankful to be able to "breathe" 24 hours/day by never having any issues with rashes or similar problems. Never had (mayor) leaks, also no issue with bad odor - being only urinary IC and drinking enough water during the day so I'm well hydrated and my urine is clear, bright and nearly without smell, additionally the odor protection of the diapers seem to work fine. I prefer more absorbency and breathable against less absorbency + being wrapped into plastic...

Having said I regretted not wearing cloth backed ones yesterday, I’ve changed my opinion as I put a high absorbency cloth one today and it leaked causing huge issues.

@JWT Fully agree re the cost thing. If they’d cover the cost of standard brands and allow you to make up the difference it would be so much better as here in the UK, it’s a case of accept these poor products for free or buy your own. A middle ground would be really nice.

I think the issue as well is that the providers believe the hype from the products and don’t get that even though they say they’re super absorbent they’re really not.

It really *no pun intended* depends on what protection you wear whether or not you need a cloth back vs plastic back product.

For plastic back I use Tranquility Products which work good for nightime absorbancy - and for cloth back I would recommend a thicker brief like an Attends Premier. Northshore Products like the Supreme which are plastic backed I also recommend as I have used them countless times with no issues with leaking and absorbancy.

Northshorecare is also discreet.

Sincerely,
Honeeecombs

For my situation, I use cloth backed in the day and plastic backed at night. I change more frequently in the day, so I’m not worried about needing super high capacity unless traveling.

At night, I need more capacity. Sleeping through the night without leaks is the important factor and the plastic backed usually have enough capacity to get a good 6-8 hours of sleep uninterrupted.

Northshore Megamax air work great for me when I need diaper level protection away from home. Not too bulky in the beginning anyway.
I prefer plastic backed at night though.

I always wear a plastic backed diaper mots times I’m not able to change often so I need the extra protection of the plastic backed ones. If I’m going to be local I have worn the cloth backed ones but don’t really like them

Thanks All for the very helpful insight regarding plastic vs cloth-backed briefs. It's good to get a better understanding of the tradeoffs with plastic and cloth backed and your experiences. Really appreciate you taking the time to share!

@ajcollette1

Please remember to use the search option (look for the magnifying glass) to research previous posts about this. This topic has been covered adequately a countless number of times in the past. You will find a wealth of information - so much in fact, you won’t know what to do with it!

I like and use both. Used for the right time and purpose that suits me best.
Cloth backed disposables during day and travel, and plastic backed at night.