Penile Clamp Experiences??

Archives1

Staff member
My uroligist has suggested I try a penile clamp. I am currently using briefs/pads and external catheter, depending on need and activity. I use briefs/pads when sleeping and during period of less activity. I use the catheter when I wont have ready access to a bathroom for long periods or just dont want to deals with wet briefs/pads. I initially was not interested in trying a clamp due to perceived discomfort and possible injury if used incorrectly. However, in considering its use I think it could fill a need to control leakage during short periods of more intense physical activities such as long, athletic walks or running.

I would be curious to know if anyone has used penile clamps, what your experience has been, how you have used them, and any benefits or drawbacks encountered. I have recieved a BARD Cunningham Regular Clamp Large but have not used it yet.

Thanks!

Give it a shot, they worked for me when I absolutely wanted to stay dry. Wasnt a good long-term solution.
My dr said it would be good to maintain bladder capacity.
After about an hour or so I had to pee and relieve the pressure

I used briefly. Worked well and not as uncomfortable as I expected. I used a weimer clamp. Bought a Lunberg and my incontinence improved substantially.

Update June 7, 2022. I used the clamp for months 4 and 5 (Jan - Feb 2021) after RALP in Sept 2020

I used the Lunderg Confidence Clamp for a few months - I just needed relief to get from home to doctor appointments without soaking a pad every time I got out of my car.

6/28/2022 Lunderg IN STOCK - updated link at bottom of post

The Lunderg is out of stock. I recommend trying the Wiesner Incontinence Clamp ($35 on Amazon 6/7/2022). It has different size bottom pads to control the pressure on the urethral and not the whole penis.

Both Lunderg Confidence Clamp and Wiesner Incontinence Clamp have 3 sizes bottom pads with a dimple that presses on the urethra to stop urine flow. The top pad does NOT have a dimple. Both use medical grade silicone rubber to cover the bottom and top pads.

It states to release and readjust every 1-2 hours and NOT for overnight use.

I started out wearing the clamp for a few hours a day and added time before using the clamp outside of the house. I wanted to determine correct bottom pad size; pressure (4 locking positions); and how it felt sitting, standing, and walking.

Read the following threads about clamps

thudson1965 said:
Update June 7, 2022. I used the clamp for months 4 and 5 (Jan - Feb 2021) after RALP in Sept 2020

I used the Lunderg Confidence Clamp for a few months - I just needed relief to get from home to doctor appointments without soaking a pad every time I got out of my car.

6/28/2022 Lunderg IN STOCK - updated link at bottom of post

The Lunderg is out of stock. I recommend trying the Wiesner Incontinence Clamp ($35 on Amazon 6/7/2022). It has different size bottom pads to control the pressure on the urethral and not the whole penis.

Both Lunderg Confidence Clamp and Wiesner Incontinence Clamp have 3 sizes bottom pads with a dimple that presses on the urethra to stop urine flow. The top pad does NOT have a dimple. Both use medical grade silicone rubber to cover the bottom and top pads.

It states to release and readjust every 1-2 hours and NOT for overnight use.

I started out wearing the clamp for a few hours a day and added time before using the clamp outside of the house. I wanted to determine correct bottom pad size; pressure (4 locking positions); and how it felt sitting, standing, and walking.

Read the following threads about clamps

Thanks for your response! Did you receive assistance from your Dr or nurse assistant on how to use a clamp. The directions I received dont give me confidense I will be using correctly.

I've tried different ones but now only use the Bard. Like you, I use pads at times and a Mens Liberty External at times. The clamp is an important part of the tool box. It is perfect in certain situations. I have also used it all day for a few consecutive days but at that point the sensitive skin will begin to get too red so I give it a break and use the catheter instead. I know someone who has used a Bard for years with success. Be sensible, don't clamp too hard. I still wear a pad for backup as I do not want to wear it too tight to cause problems. Always use corn starch baby powder to dry your skin before use and if possible every time you re-adjust. The more often you can conveniently re-adjust the better off your skin will be. Every hour and a half should be fine...I can go 2 hours if I have to.
One problem is the metal adjustment wire digging into your skin. I have just begun to experiment with wearing a cotton brief, the type with a 1-2 inch extension down the leg. What I do is wear the clamp "outside" the fly of the under ware and then simply put the depends brief on top just for the occasional leakage. So far it works like a charm. I'm not saying I see this as something I have to do all the time but it's good to use the method if I think it will help me in what I am doing that day.
The other downside is adjustment....take your time to figure how to position it correctly. When It's right, it's great but when you hurry and it's not quite centered on the urethra, it leaks all the time.
You Doc is right, using the clamp will help your bladder muscle remember what it's like to fill and expand. It's a very good reason to use it on and off regularly.
The clamp is great when you want to stay dry first thing in the morning when getting ready for the day...or to use half a day when using pads the rest of the day depending on what your schedule demands.
It's a game changer! I hope all this helps. If you have any more questions ask away.

@Njal Here is a discussion about yet another thing you can try: the penile clamp. @thudson1965 posts some of the best links and information on the forum. Read what he wrote up above.

After a particularly wet road trip one day,(soaking myself every time I got out of the car), I decided to try a clamp. It has helped tremendously when leaving my house. It’s not as bad to wear as I imagined but I don’t want to become dependent on it, so I don’t wear it at home.