Oxybutinin helps me with UI

Hi John,

Yes, put simply. Everyone is different and the effects will vary but Dry eyes and mouth are up there as most common. First of all, don't administer if you have Glaucoma, have a gastro-intestinal obstruction, intestinal atony; myasthenia gravis, paralytic ileus, pyloric stenosis, severe ulcerative colitis, significant bladder outflow obstruction, toxic megacolon or urinary retention. That was the contraindications.

Now for the side effects;

Constipation, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, dyspepsia, flushing, headache, nausea, palpitations, skin reactions, tachycardia, urinary disorders, vision disorders, vomiting, Angioedema, confusion and to top it all off, how about a nice bout of Diarrhoea! There are loads more and most are common in most medication.

You need to try it for a period of say 6 months and then review to see whether the pro's and the cons are worth taking the medication.

As I mentioned the generic brands, you may be prescribed Solifenacin, Tolterodine, Trospium Chloride or Tamsulosin. I have tried most of them and all have the same side effects really but some are better than others. You just need to try and then review.

Wow some side effects they are how do people put up with this surely there must be a med out there that can help but without side effects

Yes, Botox!

Worked wonders on me and was able to stop the tablets. Sadly it wears off and you're back to square 1, especially because of Covid, on the waiting list to have more done. Another point is I still leaked a little having had the Botox so you need a little bit of protection.

Didn’t like the pain from the shots but it seemed to work pretty well. Sadly it didn’t last but a few months and was a bit expensive for the copay.

snow said:
@MezaJarJarBinks Was getting implants one of the most painful experiences of your life? That’s what I’m expecting. Somehow dental pain is one of the worst pains because it’s just so damn demanding! I’d rather have knee surgery! Guess I’ll know firsthand within a couple of weeks!

@snow,
Yes, that was one of the worst experiences ever! In fact, after all these years I am still working with the prosthodontist (denture maker) to get them to fit right.

I have always been very sensitive to dental work. Therefore, whenever possible, I would have general anesthesia, even for extractions. So when I decided to do this I demanded that I have general anesthesia in the hospital.

The process was long, taking several hours.

* First, they had to pull all remaining teeth.
* Then they had to open up the entire gum line to get at the bone.
* They ground down the bone to a flat plane.
* Drilled 4 anchor holes on both arches, and screwed in the anchors.
(One of the screws on the lower arch caused the bone to split. The surgeon later said that anchor would eventually fail, so a few months later he drilled and implanted a 5th anchor.)
* The prosthodontist made a temporary set of dentures at the time of the original surgery. So I went home with useable teeth, but they were later replaced with permanent teeth.
* No solid food for months. (I lost a lot of weight!)

Now to the subject of recovery pain:
That was absolutely horrible!😭
I have been on strong opiate pain meds since about 2003 for other chronic pain problems. They did not help at all as far as I could tell. I went to the emergency room where they gave me some I/V morphine for a while and sent me home. The pain came back so I called my regular pain doctor group. Unfortunately, I was connected to a different doctor who was not familiar with my pain history. He told me to take a prescription steroid pill-pack. I told him that I was allergic to steroids, but he said that was impossible. I was desperate, so I gave in and took the steroids. BIG mistake! I had to call 911 to take me to the E/R; I thought I was going to die! They stabilized me using I/V Benadryl, morphine and other stuff.

Anyway, it has been a rough recovery for me, but you might be able to take the steroids and do much better. I have a friend who had just one arch implanted with no problems at all. "We are all different."

"Do you set off metal detectors with the metal in your mouth? My screws will be titanium."

My implants are titanium. No metal detector issues yet, but I haven't been scanned either. I have other implanted devices as well, such as Interstim, heart monitor, and a false eye.

My real concern is having an MRI. I have been able to avoid having an MRI, but I have had them before all these implants, so it's just a matter of time before I will need one again. Not sure how they will deal with that.

My honey had implants across the whole upper gum. Man, I don’t know how anyone can endure that procedure. Hat off to anyone who has had that done. Wow! Ouch

@DeanLikesToHelp
Thanks for the sympathy.

Actually, that wasn't the worst pain I have had. That would be the pain of all the eye surgeries I had for a detached retina that eventually led to losing my left eye.

(@ritanofsinger talked about the same thing.)

I never had any pain before the surgeries like @ritanofsinger did, but I had 11 surgeries attempts to repair the retina (by 3 different surgeons). I had never been in screaming agony before that. That was followed by 2 more surgeries to eviscerate the eye and place an implant to support a false eye (think gutting the inside).

I spent many weeks on a special bed with my face down.

Ultimately, I had to take permanent disability.

This is such a long story that I will stop here.

Regardless, I still praise Jesus that my eternal home is waiting for me because He has paid for my sins! He paid it all! There is nothing more I have to do but wait to see Him. Amen!
Romans 10:9,10
John 3:16

Wow MezaJarJaarBinks- you've been through some horrible stuff. You must have a great constitution to endure all of it. A friend of mine also had a detached retina and had to lay face down for a few weeks. He was not a happy camper. Our bodies don't like to be still for that long. My "little" sister (now 70 years old) had her second cornea transplant last year but had some complications when the stitches were removed much later. She's having a new lens done today. This was her second transplant in 40 years.

I love that you said, "This is such a long story ---." My stories are always long too. LOL In the past 40 years when anyone has asked about a member of my family or an experience I've had, I launch into telling and they say, you should write a book about your life! So, that's what I'm doing. And it sure got complicated because now I've thought I should start at the beginning and that is about my great-grandparents which has led to some research in history and genealogy. Sure takes my mind off some daily issues!

@MezaJarJarBinks Oh my gosh, how horrid. I only need two teeth done at the moment. I am horrified. I wish I could demand general anesthesia for 14 days, instead of just 1.5 hours.

@jrpoorman How did it go for your honey, pain-wise?

@ritanofsinger

You know how it is when you greet people when you are out or on the phone, "Hi. How are you?" Then, you are supposed to reply, "Fine. How are you?"

Well, since I really hate to be dishonest about anything I say, I now say, "I've been better and I've been worse. How are you?"

It usually gets a laugh. 😊

oxybutinin was the first drug I tried. I lasted like 3 days on it before the side effects made me ditch it. I had bad headaches and unbearable dry mouth. I'm a life long sufferer of migraine headaches and any med that causes a headache is an automatic non starter for me. I tried 5 other and they all had similar side effects or only slight to moderate symptom improvement. I figured I can wear a diaper and have lots of large accidents, or wear a diaper and take a med that makes me feel terrible and have smaller accidents that still leave me diaper dependent. I take no meds now, feel great and wear a diaper and have gotten on with life. I'm 100% dont with treating this medially and completely ok with just managing it with products.

MezaJarJarBinks -- My late husband when asked this question ALWAYS responded, "I'm fantastic, but I'm getting better." At his memorial service several people mentioned him saying that. Sometimes he would follow up his answer by clicking his heels in mid-air even well into his 70s. Because of his Christian beliefs he believed he would be perfect at death, so he was an encouragement to others.

MezaJarJarBinks --Maybe I'm cynical but even though your answer usually gets a laugh, isn't it the case that most people don't really want a truthful answer, they're mostly acknowledging your presence and are being polite? I like it when somebody says in greeting ---I've been thinking of you! Wow what a pleasant greeting.

Mike James - Good for you! Trust your own instincts about your own body. If you're wrong, well - it's like my mother used to tell me, "My shoulders are broad, I can take the blame." You do what you feel you have to do to make the most of your situation.