Overwhelming Embarrassment

Archives1

Staff member
After over two years of living with heavy incontinence I thought I was beyond it causing such a high level of embarrassment. But here I sit in my car trying to calm down after having a bowel accident in the middle of a lengthy dental procedure.
It just caught me so off guard and was so audible that I almost started to panic. My dentist and her assistant must have seen the look on my face and asked if I was ok, forcing me to shake my head and admit to them my incontinence, the presence of a diaper and the fact I just filled it.
Harder still was laying there for the remainder of the appointment and thinking am I really the 54 year old man laying in this chair with a dirty diaper.

I've had many occasions when I begin to think my incontinence issues were in the past, only to find out they’re not. You're right, it can be embarrassing, also depressing, frustrating, and infuriating. It might help us all if some people here would suggest how your experience at the dentist could be handled. My Monday morning quarterbacking suggestion would be to say “I'm sorry, I have a health issue that causes occasional incontinence. I'm wearing protection though so we should be able to continue.” How would others handle this situation?

I did apologize multiple times, and offered to change, but the dentist was more concerned that given the vulnerable state of the tooth, delay could risk infection.

I am so sorry. You did everything you could, but this incident was beyond your control. Yes, I would be embarrassed if I had had a bowel accident, and probably started to panic, but I would try to remind myself that I am still the same good person I had been before the accident and that I was doing the best I could. Please take of yourself for the rest of the day.

Im sure the dentist has had other incontinent patients. Yes it is still embarising to us. We need to remember their is others incontinent.