Overnight

Archives1

Staff member
Hello

Can somebody kindly suggest a good quality diaper/nappy for overnight?

I wear a nighttime nappie and plastic pants but when on my side I tend to have some leakage!

Maybe that is the norm?

Many Thanks for a great forum.

Ian

Hi Ian,

What do you currently wear as a pad? Betterdry are a good brand we can get here and Abena do some good quality pads. Check out Nappiesrus as they do some medical and non-medical looking brands and you can choose a level of absorbency to help you.

Personally, I would opt for a cloth diaper / nappy which has more layers around the side that can be tucked into high waisted plastic pants, that would give you the best protection but needs washing as a downside.

Hope some of that might help you.

Well I currently use the Abena Abriform L4 which is a plastic-backed diaper you might also look into some plastic pants

Are you using disposable diapers or cloth diapers? I always use cloth diapers for bedtime, unless I'm traveling. Then I'll use a ConfiDry 24/7 disposable.

I wear disposables.

The brand is TENA Slip Active Fit Ultima Large and a plastic pant over but some nights if I am on my side I leak!!

Using a cloth diaper as a booster inside your disposable brief (strategically positioned) will likely help. It's what I use, and it's pretty effective. I fold it up so that it's several layers thick.

I use northshore supreme when I am at home. When traveling I step up to northshore megamax for extra protection/peace of mind. (somebody else's bed)
I wear tape on diapers only at night. I can get away with pullups during the day.
The 2 northshore products say they are made in the U.K. Perhaps you could locate who is making them and maybe they have their own brand you could purchase? I am not sure northshore ships outside of the U.S.?

Thanks Tim,

The Northshore sounds amazing! 12 hours!!! Are they bulky at all?

I have found a UK link thank you.

Tough to answer that. What is bulky to one may not be to another, or the opposite. They are wide in the center (the part that goes between your legs). I wear large size. I am 6'-4" tall. On me the top of the front ends at my belly button and in the rear it rises to maybe and inch or so above where my crack ends. They do have a good amount of padding inside. Fairly tall leak guards. (one of the keys, in my opinion, to a diaper that leaks less frequently). I only wear them at night so I find myself not as concerned over if you can tell I am wearing a diaper.
I can see them through shorts or pajama bottoms I wear around the house before bed. They are plastic backed so they do have a crinkly sound to them. For me, those in my house know I wear diapers so I am not concerned over noise. Not a lot of noise but if you are in a quiet setting you will definitely hear them.
A couple points of note: The supreme briefs use tape that land directly on the diaper face. They do have a 2nd tab that makes it reusable. I like my diapers tight when I put them on (I think this helps with not leaking, good seal to the legs and butt cheeks) Because if this the tapes "pop" off for me through the night. I put tape over the tabs and this cures it for me. (I am not worried about opening and closing the diaper for me once its on its on till morning, or if I've had a really bad night it get's changed)
The mega max tapes are applied to a shiny top plastic that is on the front of the diaper. The tapes can be taken on and off of this plastic if needed. The tapes on the mega max are very strong. I never had them "pop" off or need extra help to stay fastened.
Hope this helps. I would give them a try. Maybe see if you can get sample of start with a bag. If they work well then move to the large qty's.

exactly how bulky is bulky?

Tim said:
Tough to answer that. What is bulky to one may not be to another, or the opposite. They are wide in the center (the part that goes between your legs). I wear large size. I am 6'-4" tall. On me the top of the front ends at my belly button and in the rear it rises to maybe and inch or so above where my crack ends. They do have a good amount of padding inside. Fairly tall leak guards. (one of the keys, in my opinion, to a diaper that leaks less frequently). I only wear them at night so I find myself not as concerned over if you can tell I am wearing a diaper.
I can see them through shorts or pajama bottoms I wear around the house before bed. They are plastic backed so they do have a crinkly sound to them. For me, those in my house know I wear diapers so I am not concerned over noise. Not a lot of noise but if you are in a quiet setting you will definitely hear them.
A couple points of note: The supreme briefs use tape that land directly on the diaper face. They do have a 2nd tab that makes it reusable. I like my diapers tight when I put them on (I think this helps with not leaking, good seal to the legs and butt cheeks) Because if this the tapes "pop" off for me through the night. I put tape over the tabs and this cures it for me. (I am not worried about opening and closing the diaper for me once its on its on till morning, or if I've had a really bad night it get's changed)
The mega max tapes are applied to a shiny top plastic that is on the front of the diaper. The tapes can be taken on and off of this plastic if needed. The tapes on the mega max are very strong. I never had them "pop" off or need extra help to stay fastened.
Hope this helps. I would give them a try. Maybe see if you can get sample of start with a bag. If they work well then move to the large qty's.

@DPCARE Just like Tim said what is bulky to one may not be to another but here is my take. When dry I find them to be less bulky then an Abena L4 or a Better Dry but more bulky than almost any non-premium diaper. When wet they do swell up a bit but not nearly as much as a Better Dry and about the same as an Abena L4 or ComfiDry 24/7. The capacity is enormous and the tapes are the best ever. It does crinkle a tiny bit but I've found no one ever notices, especially if there is any ambient noise at all.

There have already been several good suggestions. My favourite overnight brands are BetterDry, ConfiDry 24/7 and NorthShore MegaMax. All three have worked well for me. However, the NorthShore MegaMax has the highest capacity of any brief I’ve ever seen. With that brand, my bed has stayed bone dry even when I slept on my side after drinking a couple of cans of beer!

I just want to add that on the contrary I’ve had almost every MegaMax I’ve tried leak after one wetting. So your mileage may vary. I prefer betterdry

Last night I slept in our spare bedroom and no leaks! It was my wife's idea and to be fair I understand. I thank you for all your suggestions

Another suggestion. When I travel, I am most concerned over leaking. Leaking at home is not good but leaking in someone else's bed...oh man I dont even want to have to explain that.
I use a under pad or bed pad. Right now using north shore large size 30x36. Work very well for me. plenty of coverage to move around yet still be on top of it.
For me it allows me to sleep with out worry or a poor nights sleep. The thinking being: If I leak so what the pad will soak it up.
Maybe until you are able to find the diaper that works best (all will leak sooner or later, Manufacturing error? Putting it on slightly different and not get a good seal? I don't know)this may get you by. I would guess it would cut down significantly on laundry and increase spouses comfort.

Great advice Tim and do use those pads and at home I now have a waterproof mattress cover and pillow which is great.
As for staying over elsewhere that is rare. My wife visits her sister from time to time and because of my 'issue' I stay home.

so.... from a comical side...you stay home using your "issue's" as an excellent reason to not see the in-laws? I love it!

Seriously though. If it's enjoyable to visit family I would encourage you to try and visit. For me that requires a little more thought and planning (based on conditions: where to change, how to dispose of used products, etc), but the reward of seeing friends and family "usually" :D outweighs the extra effort.

Just a little food for thought. You have to do what works best for you not what works best for me.

Tim said:
so.... from a comical side...you stay home using your "issue's" as an excellent reason to not see the in-laws? I love it!

Seriously though. If it's enjoyable to visit family I would encourage you to try and visit. For me that requires a little more thought and planning (based on conditions: where to change, how to dispose of used products, etc), but the reward of seeing friends and family "usually" :D outweighs the extra effort.

Just a little food for thought. You have to do what works best for you not what works best for me.

In truth Tim we don't get along and my wife would rather not visit but being the only child she feels it is her duty! They are both very difficult people!

Regarding wearing protection when traveling.. I have a system that works when we go on vacation... When staying at a hotel, I usually wear a ConfiDry 24/7 disposable diaper, with a disposable booster pad inside of it. Then OVER this, I'll wear a pin-on cloth diaper, with plastic pants. AND I'll put down a washable incontinent pad on the bed, incase everything else leaks. Using this combo, I've had the disposable diaper leak twice into the cloth diaper, but I've never had a leak all the way to the pad... So never a wet hotel bed.

At home, I just use cloth diapers and plastic pants for bed, since we have a waterproof cover over the mattress, under the sheet.