Night time incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
I am a 42 year old woman who has been dealing with bed wetting for a year and a half now. Since April I have been sleeping in the recliner in the living room on a washable pad I bought online. Every night while I am asleep I am peeing everywhere I’ve tried depends it won’t hold all the urine, I wake up soaked halfway up my back to my feet. I’ve been on desmopressin didn’t work myrbetriq didn’t work oxybutynin didn’t work, I have seen a urologist for this entire 18 months had 3 surgeries and every test known to man. The last surgery in October was to place a sacral nerve stimulator inside my left buttcheek. Didn’t work at all and 7 days later it was removed. Nothing has helped me they suggested Botox I refuse. I am at my wits end. No answers. If anyone has any tips or suggestions please let me know

Hi Kat,
I understand and deal with it every night as well. I’m a 51 yr old guy. 1st thought, get a good night time adult diaper so you can sleep comfortably. I’ve been only oxybutinin and merbetrik. They both help with bladder spasms but I still leak. Next thing I’m trying is Botox injections. At first I said not a chance but after reading everything from the pluses and minuses here and getting some real life feedback I’m going to try it. If I have to use a catheter for a little while that’s fine with me if it helps.
Sounds like you have tried all the normal things most here and my urologist recommended for me. I saw in one of the websites I get orders from that sometimes a pessary may help for certain situations. Did the doctor mention that at all? Just thinking out loud.
Anyway, I use a brief called Megamax at night from Northshore. Great product and excellent people. I was nervous calling the first time but everyone has been so sweet to speak with and helpful. Another good brief is called better dry. (Apparently better dry and crinklz are the same but the latter has designs on them) beats the same all white stuff I guess. Northshore sells them also.
If your output exceeds either of these. Northshore and a company called Because.com have excellent inserts that can double capacity. Another very good company is HDIS and there are several others listed here.
I will post on how the Botox thing goes. I see the urologist again this month.
Hoping you can sleep better soon. Sorry you are having to deal with it like the rest of us. I normally use other products during the day but for night, both of the above I think may help allot.

Happy Holidays & Blessing,
Jim in Maryland

Kat, I am a 63 year old woman with nightly incontinence and regular day time incontinence.

I have literally tried it all, including Botox. The Botox was a miracle for a couple of years but then it stopped working.

To deal with my night time incontinence, I use several things. First, I wear a pull up. That alone will not provide enough protection. I also use booster pads in the pull up. I also use a very absorbent, large bed pad with a towel or two doubled on top of that. I use the washable pads. The disposables just don’t seems to absorb enough.

To contain the smell, I have two plastic containers (actually dog food containers). One has a plastic bag in it for the pull up and booster pads. The other one collects the bed pads and towels until they are laundered. The plastic containers seal so they limit the smell

I have Medicaid so I am limited to the pull ups they provide. If you are able to get better quality pull ups, you might not need the booster pads.

I have, in the past, just used bed pads and towels. I don’t wear night clothes because that would just add to the laundry and discomfort.

I have a friend who is using briefs/diapers open under her in the bed, along with bed pads.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

This past August I ordered for my wife from Liberator Medical a Purewick System device. She had been on it in the hospital. It's a suction machine that is connected to an external catheter and is designed for folks who bed wet at night. Google the term and it's also explained on Youtube.
It doesn't cure anything but solves the night time drench problem. This morning the suction cannister collected 1000cc of urine. Her underwear pad was dry! Carla has Parkinson's which affects a myriad of body systems. It is a hideous disease. She can't control her night time urination. Like you, she also sleeps in a recliner.
The Purewick suction machine costs around $230 and a months supply of external catheters is around $300. Now before sticker shock sets in, I've devised a way to effectively clean and decontaminate the catheters. It's a fairly simple process. The catheters are durable and will hold up to many many cleanings. If you decide to go this route, I can send you my cleaning instructions. So far, out of a box of 30 external catheters, we are using 3. That's because I rotate them.
She has seen 2 urologists at our local practice. Each has stated they never heard of such a device. Ugh! Look into this. For the time being it should fill a need. Also, insurance doesn't cover this. Double Ugh!

Pbk123 said:
I found Botox extremely helpful. I highly recommend it.
Kat1977 said:
I am a 42 year old woman who has been dealing with bed wetting for a year and a half now. Since April I have been sleeping in the recliner in the living room on a washable pad I bought online. Every night while I am asleep I am peeing everywhere I’ve tried depends it won’t hold all the urine, I wake up soaked halfway up my back to my feet. I’ve been on desmopressin didn’t work myrbetriq didn’t work oxybutynin didn’t work, I have seen a urologist for this entire 18 months had 3 surgeries and every test known to man. The last surgery in October was to place a sacral nerve stimulator inside my left buttcheek. Didn’t work at all and 7 days later it was removed. Nothing has helped me they suggested Botox I refuse. I am at my wits end. No answers. If anyone has any tips or suggestions please let me know
I deal with nightly bedwetting and rely on Tena Maxi slips and Drylife Plastic Pants to keep my bed reasonably dry. I sleep on a washable bed pad to catch any leaks

Do your homework before you have the Botox injections. I've had it done before and I went from incontinence to full retention having to use catheters to empty the bladder that caused UTI after UTI.

My opinion is minimize your liquids after 5pm and/or use better absorbent products.

Hope that helps...

I tried a bunch of meds with no luck and bad side effects. I never tried botox nor nerve stim. I ultimately just decided to manage with absorbent products and I don't regret it at all. I sleep so well now.

You should consider premium adult diapers. depends are garbage.

I strongly recommend Better Dry, Abena M or L 4, and Northshore Supreme....all plastic backed (I hate the "cloth" backed diapers as I find they deform and sag much faster and allow more odor out).

northshorecare.com has seriously high quality products and very helpful staff. You can chat with them online, request free sample, or call and talk to a person who will be professional and understanding.

RE BetterDry and Crinklz: I do not actually think they're the exact same diaper anymore. I ordered a bag of Crinklz along with my usual case of better dry and I'm convinced that the cut is very slightly different on the Crinklz and they seem to have a fair amount more SAP as they swell up significantly more when wet.

I did a comparison just last night. Went to bed in Crinklz, woke up at 330am to deal with my incontinent dog peeing all over the house (poor guy has lung cancer and it's getting toward end stage)...anyway at 330 my Crinklz was super wet and incredibly "swollen". I was shocked at how heavy it was. I could have kept it on and gone back to bed but I don't like staying in a wet diaper for no good reason so I changed into a better dry. Sure enough I woke up at 6am, and again had a heavy wet diaper...but not even close to as "swollen". I think the crinklz actually a bit more absorbent....

If this is true I wish Thrust Vector would realease them in all white as Better Dry X Plus or something. I am switching my nighttime diaper to crinklz though on my next order...BD work more than well enough for daytime use.....

CES97 said:
Do your homework before you have the Botox injections. I've had it done before and I went from incontinence to full retention having to use catheters to empty the bladder that caused UTI after UTI.

My opinion is minimize your liquids after 5pm and/or use better absorbent products.

Hope that helps...

never did botox but that was my primary concern. I've had intermittent retention problems before and I can say not being able to pee when you really need to is extremely unpleasant and arguably as bad or worse than leaking. I didn't want to risk it. My urologist HATES that I wear diapers but I just don't care anymore. I'm 100% done with any more medial treatments. Wearing diapers sucks but like anything you get used to it and can live with it....I couldn't live with med side effects and urology appointment after urology appointment with tubes shoved up my body and no cure in sight.

I didn’t have retention problems with the Botox, but it broke my heart when it stopped working. I was fully prepared to cath. In fact, I felt having to cath would have been preferable to the incontinence.

One thing I have found helpful is that I learned to cath myself any way. I recently went on an eight hour car trip (each way) to pick up my new puppy, who will be my next service dog. It was wonderful to not worry about emergency bathroom stops. I just have to keep track of the bag and how full it is. Also, at night I can cath myself if I’m visiting or in a hotel and not have to worry. I don’t want to use/carry reusable products and disposable ones are not dependable enough.

Kat1977 said:

I have the same issue. From reading suggestions on this site I began using REALZ for night time. I also add "rubber pants" over the diaper. Most times the pad under me is dry the next morning. They are not cheap but I was spending more by the time I wore something less expensive and stuffed extra pads inside, then would have to wash load of bedlinins every day. This makes more sense to me.