need product recommendation for teenager

Archives1

Staff member
Hi All,

I need some recommendations, my son is 12 and he is still wetting the bed every night, this has taken toll on his self esteem and life in general!! We have been through the bedwetting alarms (urine is highly concentrated and after so long the alarms stop working), we have tried all the medications and the doctors don't seem to want to do anything for him, we get the same answer, he will outgrow it. Is there any testing that anyone can recommend that we should have done? I am in the process of looking for a new urologist. I am also looking for a product that he can wear to bed at night that won't leak, he is too big for kid pull-ups, I have purchased him some men's depends and they seem to leak every single night. Wondering what you have found and what seems to work. Thanks for your time!

I would look at NorthShore care supply. They have very thich adult pull-ups that may work and could be less traumatic for a kid his age than a tape on adult diaper.

Poor guy. I know it can be heartbreaking for him and you. When my son went through the same, we went to the pediatric urology group at our local children's hospital. They were so much better familiar with childhood issues than general urologists. They ran many different tests and isolated the issue and were able to give us very specific interventions. It was a combination of things but we at least understood better how to approach it. It did get resolved and we were grateful.

I wish you and your family luck.

Im sorry. I've been in his shoes myself - I did not get dry until I was 14...but due to PTSD- my bladder issues returned (no worries, likelihood of that happening to other guys are very slim).

I would recommend what others have said and try northshore pull up samples. Tape diapers are traumatizing and realistically should only be used for adults who can understand that briefs can be used. Using tape on briefs for someone still developing can be damaging. Believe me.

Anyway, I would also recommend reaching out to the Bedwetting Treatment Center in Farmington Hills, Michigan. They are pretty awesome people and even though alarms have not worked in the past - it might be your last ditch effort if you have the funds to do so. They are very knowledgeable and have a high success rate, they get it.

Other than that, if your worried about pull ons not being effective; I would recommend getting a pack of reusable cloth pads from Northshore - they make them in all sizes...worth it when you also use the pull up.

Bedwetting is not his fault.

@aboche: Buy a pack of WalMart Mainstays Flour Sack Towels (10 for $8) and put one or two (folded) into his nighttime pull-up. They absorb fluid far faster than the pull-up inner sheet and then they slowly transfer it to the padding. In the morning just rinse and hang to dry, as they are actually just thin cotton cloths they dry super quick. Then when dry just put them in the clothes hamper. I've been using this system for years and even as an adult male side sleeper I've had virtually no leaks.
Obviously this won't stop his wetting but at least his clothing and bed won't be wet in the morning and that should help him sleep much better.

I would have him see a “good” therapist who specializes in incontinence therapy. I believe they could help. One has helped me tremendously. Ask the therapist if they have enough experience in this area. The therapist spends a lot more time with the patient than a doctor does.

Any depend products are meant for gradual leaking urine. Most bedwetting is done in large voids. Therfore it overwhelms the product. I would look on either medical supplies websites, or any local medical supply stores. When I was a teen we would get them from local supply stores, but I know many have gone out of business since most bigger places started putting them out online.

Northshore has some great products that may fit him if you get the small sizes. If not I know tranquility makes youth products that should fit him.

If you search online for "Abena junior" one of the online supply places that carry them would be a good bet.
IMO small pull-ups of any kind leak when really tested at night.

Sounds like a candidate for Super Undies. Check out Superundies.com but beware they are cloth. So laundry will be a new routine.

Hi @aboche, I also agree that pull-ups would be best for a pre-teen as they don't have the look of a regular tape-on diaper. If a child wore something like that it would ruin his ego and he might grow to resist wearing them. A pull-up more resembles underwear than something with tabs and would not be so stigmatizing. And by all means get samples of pull-ups from more than one source.

The old saying that you can't fix what isn't broken, might apply here. If nobody has any answers, and if no medicines work then there might not be anything you can do to "fix it". Many kids grow into adults that still wet the bed without ever knowing why. He may outgrow it or maybe not. Time really will tell. Until then, keep doing what you already are. Being a good parent.

You are all right on this I was a bedwetter too,I had no choice but too wear tape on diapers because they didn't make pull-ups then.North shore diapers are the way to go. I would talk him about what product he would use. It hard on teens when they have bladder promble,because they go through so many changes during that time. Doctors will that you grow out of it yes /no. As for me I strated to wetbed at 5yrs old.By the time I was 9yrs old was in diapers full time do to medical issues.

Just google free teen diaper samples. There are a number of sites that provide them. Try different ones out. Stick with what works. Diapers come in a lot of different absorbencies based on need. Higher absorbency higher cost. Experiment until you find the best strategy.

There’s a product called super undies that are reusable pull ups that are thick underwear style. They look like an inviting alternative for a boy that age.

Oh I can feel with your son. I started to wet my bed again at this age. And it was so hard to deal with it. I also tried a lot of therapies. but had only big stress with them and don't stoped to wet the bed.
It's difficult to say what's the best product for your son, because it different how much he wet during the night, how big he is, how his preferred sleeping-position is. For me the goodnites worked quite well. Some times I had and have already some leakage. One thing is to use some boosterpads to put it inside the Pull-ups. You can also use some incontinencepads to put inside. There is also a new product from goodnites. This inserts also helps against leakage.
I think one of the most important thing is to show your son, that he is not alone and that there are some other teenager who are dealing with the same problem. Discuss with him which kind of product he would like to try. Let him get the responsibility for this part of his life and let him know, that you support him in this case. So he don't fell himself like a baby.