"Myth" about cycling and prostate cancer - and shattering news

As an avid triathlete who spends a great deal of time on my nike, I agree with cyclist. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at 48 years old and the only reason it was found was because of a bike accident. So a bit of irony there possibly. My cancer doctor has been phenomenal and after robotic surgery I had a bit of incontinence but with work it has become under better control. My doc said mine was "sticky" and he was concerned initially but after 4 years his level of apprehension has decreased greatly. My doctor instructed me that I could keep cycling as long as I used the cut away seat and was smart about being aware of any issues. I got a refit of my triathlon and road bike, invested in three different saddles (Bi-saddle is my favorite as it is SUPER adjustable) and for the past four years my PSA has been at or near zero. I hope that continues and I am going to follow my doctor who has done thousands of surgeries related to prostate cancer.
Good luck to you and know that by catching it early you prognosis is so much better than had you waited.
The Universe's grace shine on you and yours- best wishes

@Mam - so sorry to hear about your diagnosis and we wish you much success as you progress through your treatment.

As for the cycling, prostate cancer link, as with everything, it's a balance and something that you should discuss with your doctor to determine the best approach moving forward for you personally. While there may be reports of increased PSA levels in bikers, even in one of the articles listed above as support for why NOT to cycle states this:

"In addition to “mechanical” problems, what about the risk of prostate cancer? Intensive cycling has been linked to a higher level of prostate-specific antigen (PSA), which can signal the presence of cancer. However, the presence of PSA may also be explained by the prostate’s being irritated or slightly inflamed as a result of friction against the saddle. Before going for a prostate exam, avoid cycling so as not to skew the results. The seemingly higher incidence of prostate cancer in die-hard cyclists might simply owe to the fact that cyclists are more aware of their health and visit the doctor more often, so any conditions they have are more likely to be diagnosed.

The benefits of cycling far outweigh the potential problems caused by a poorly adjusted bike. Cycling or practicing any sport for more than five hours a week reduces the risk of an enlarged prostate by 30–50% compared with those who exercise less than two hours a week."

So, do your own research and make decisions with your doctor. While these forums are great for bouncing ideas and sharing struggles and success stories, it's important to remember that everyone also has different opinions, risk tolerance, and views on how to treat different conditions. Keep that in mind. I would hate for folks to give up the things they love (especially when it pertains to healthy exercise, which seems to far outweigh most risks!) based on the views of others outside of their own medical care.

-NAFC

Swimming is a much healthier exercise than cycling. It’s better for your joints and your prostate. So is hiking. Our knees aren’t meant to bend as often nor as rapidly as cycling requires, nor are our backs meant to be hunched over like road biking requires; what a horrible posture position! But hey, what do I know? I’ve completely destroyed my body by being overly-athletic, including becoming incontinent, but why listen to me, eh? Destroy your own body like I did; what do I care? This forum isn’t worth bothering with. It’s full of bad advice.

Snow,
Yours, along with others opinions, experiences, ideas, opposition and advice is exactly what makes a discussion forum work.
Gives us all a chance to share, discover, ponder or even learn from others.
Keep sharing.
J🙃e

@snow - Hey come on. We NEED to hear your voice! You have to know that - weather anyone agrees or disagrees. I appreciate the fact that the NAFC chimed in. But, I also appreciate even more what JoeAK said. I also appreciate the frustration you feel having lost people that you love to prostate cancer and cycling - when there are those jumping up and down screaming that you are wrong while you are attending a funeral which would seem to prove those same people wrong. - You don't have to agree, you don't have to comment - but don't leave. - Pam

Something did not sit with me well at all, after I received the news. I put the options on paper, I started to research the terminology that I used, and constructively received the feedback about the erroneous terminology; I did not ask enough questions to the urologist before thinking I would get further treatment. I just took what I received and accepted it. I could not consciencely decide what path to go down. I am going to seek a second opinion, even if it means more biopsies.

@MAM - Unless you have any medical background, NOBODY can think fast enough when a doctor is yammering at you with a surprise or maybe not - a huge diagnosis. So don't beat yourself up over that.- And yes, we all tend to just stand there like a deer looking in head lights, and dumbly accept what we are being told. Everybody thinks of questions they should have asked after the doctor walks out the door. - I am sure we all wish you the best and clarity of mind as you navigate this path that you have to been put on. - Pam

Many doctors have patient portals where you can send messages to the doctor after the appointment. I use this quite a bit to ask all the questions I should have asked at the appointment, but didn't think of at the time. Some doctors are better than others at answering questions on their patient portals, but it's worth trying if you have more things you want to know after the appointment is over.

Man,
I watched a youtube video just yesterday about the grading. It's a new thing, but 1 is low according to the clip. That's where I was a year ago, i. Making the decision re radiation or removal is a big one, robotic or old school etc. I made the decision to take the thing out after asking the surgeon if he was trained with a joy stick or knife, so I got it out, recovered and tried to move on. So far so good. One year on i'm undetectable, no leakage and ED is good now, almost perfect.
Just ask as many questions you need to, and even make a list to remind you of what you want to ask. I did that.
It's a huge decision but feel lucky that you have found this out early.
All the best, and start your kegals NOW!!

@snow We need your voice - you have a lot to share and lots of information. It is fine if someone wants to do something different - but for many of us - your voice and your comments are warmly welcome. We share good and bad - and we have all made our own experience.

My cycling career ended abruptly in a crash - that also gave me a serious injury in the spine. I don’t think that is the primary reason for my incontinence - but who knows? These issues are so complex…

I hope my cycling has not resulted in more hidden injuries.

@snow Listen to the ones that care and want you to stay - and forget about those others!