"Myth" about cycling and prostate cancer - and shattering news

Archives1

Staff member
Several prominent competitive cyclists have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. But I wanted to believe it was just a myth or a coincidence, because that is what I have heard all my adult years. And I also heard that there is no scientific correlation, and not every man who is a cyclist get prostate cancer, which ties back to the myth ideology. As an avid recreational cyclist, I held onto this ideology... It won't happen to me.

Sadly, even though I had a partial prostatectomy just over a year ago because my urethra was constricted; the green light laser procedure; some weird physiological stuff was starting to happen over the last couple months. I got in prior to my scheduled annual, and another PSA came back extremely high, which prompted biopsies. I got the devastating news that I have prostate cancer yesterday. It is still Stage 1; treatable with a prognosis of a long life beyond because I am in my late 40's; so I was given several options to consider. I was told that standard cancer therapy to save what was left could be one option, although a Radical was recommended. I asked the urologist if there would ever be the case of needing both, and he said it could turn out that way if it has spread. I don't want to go through chemo nor radiation I'm leaning toward the Radical with hopes that the cancer did not spread. I'm just numb...

That's a lot to sort out.
It really is sad that the things that we love to do like cycling are tied to issues. Tennis elbow blown knees for runners etc.
I wish you well sorting out the next leg of your decisions

Very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I did have a radical prostatectomy in may of 2022 and have so far been cancer free since. I encourage you to look at all the options available to you and research the pros and cons of each one. It’s my understanding that you are typically able to safely take a little time to make your decision on what route you choose to take, so find out all you can and then decide what is best for you. You are very young so with good doctors and faith in the Lord you will get through this and have a long and healthy life ahead. Best of luck to you and God bless!

Yikes! So sorry to hear. I wish for a speedy recovery on whichever procedure you decide to go with Mam.
I suppose the good news is that you caught this early and that you’ll come out on top with a long life ahead of you.

I’ve thought about this in the past, if I ever. Received that diagnosis, which procedure would I choose.
At the nice young age of 40’s and stage one, perhaps the treatment vs. removal would be the decision I’d make. Keep us posted on this.
My prayers and best wishes are with you.

Stay positive, healthy and active,
Joe

Dear MAM:
I had my prostate removed 2 years and 8 months ago. For the first two years my PSA was <.1. Eight months ago my PSA began to rise. It is currently .29. I go back for another PSA check in January and the doctor says he will recommend I do something if it continues to rise. To be quite frank I am not sure what I am going to do. I cannot recieve radiation due to a colon operation and my only other option is hormone therapy. I am 77 years old and living a very active healthy life. No incontinence and my sex life isn't as good as it was when I was thirty, with a little help I can still perform. Hormone therapy, I hear, is going to curtail my quality of life. So this is my story. I hope it is helpful.

As for you, I would recommend finding the best surgeon you can and make clear that you not only want to get rid of the cancer, but want preserve your urinary function, with no incontinence and continue to have an active sex life. Some surgeons can almost guarantee this after an operation, but those surgeons who can't I recommend you stay away from them. I had my surgery done at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. Although my surgeon is no longer there, Dr. Bivolaqua, there are other surgeons at JH who are just as qualified. All the Best. Nick

With biopsy your doctor can assess how aggressive the cancer is. He can also judge whether the lesions are near the margins of the prostate, i.e. the likelihood of it having spread. Stage 1 is not a term that I’ve heard regarding prostate cancer. But it could be a way of saying that it is slow growing. If your cancer is deemed aggressive you’d be advised to have the prostate removed, which I’ve had done. If the cancer has not spread beyond the prostate, you may not need radiation. As for cycling, I have cycled many thousands of miles, but didn’t have to remove my prostate until age 73. I do not believe that cycling promotes prostate cancer. And I have resumed cycling since my surgery.

You have had very good comments here already. A biopsy is the next thing to do. My biopsy showed my cancer was extremely aggressive so I opted for prostate removal ie radical prostatectomy in July 2022. I was aware that if I chose radiotherapy I would likely be asked to take hormone drugs and that I would be having doctor appointments for ever. As I was using private health cover I wanted to get this over with in one year and I don't like lots of appointments.

In the event when I had surgery the surgeon said that the prostate was adhering to the bowel so if I had opted for radio therapy I might have had the cancer spread into the bowel which would have been a disaster.

If you have the surgery you will be incontinent for some months which unless you work from home means being off work. That is a tough time to get through but it is not forever.

Did they give you the option of robotic surgery? There are a lot of people on this site that are incontinent because of a radical prostatectomy. Including me.You have to decide what is best for you, and make that decision.

@MAM - As a woman, thus far any information on prostate cancer, I have learned from this forum. In saying that it seems to me that you have gotten some good information from the guys that have commented. Weather or not their situations apply to yours - at least it is other information which may be helpful to you. You are in a tough spot at a young age. If you feel like sharing any on going details please do. Like everyone else. Thinking the best for a good outcome - Pam

FYI, I had a radical prostatectomy, and my brother had the robotic prostatectomy. He is three years older (68), then I am and we both had incontinence. I think mine was worse, but both of us have since had AUS surgery to help with getting our lives back. It was life changing for us both and has been so far an amazing improvement in quality of life.

Every overlyzealous male bicyclist I’ve known has had multiple bouts of prostate cancer. A skiing buddy of mine, who was my brother’s father-in-law, refused to quit bicycling hard-core every day after he had his first bout of prostate cancer, and now he’s *dead* from prostate cancer because he was too stubborn to quit biking!!! The connection between prostate cancer and bicycling has been proven over and over and over again, for decades now.

Nobody wants to be told they can’t continue their favorite physical activity, but sometimes you simply have to. I’d love to be backpacking, skiing, snowboarding, rock climbing, ice climbing, or out dancing every night like I was in my 20s and 30s. But snowboarding destroyed my entire spine from my neck to my tailbone, dancing destroyed my feet, and since I’ve needed knee replacements for the past 13 years of being bone-on-bone, you won’t catch me doing any of those things my soul craves because they dramatically exacerbate my spine and knee problems, potentially even making my incontinence worse by further damaging my lumbar vertebrae. Fortunately I am finally getting my first knee replacement on Dec. 27 and maybe then I can return to some of my previous activities, but not to the extent and speed that I used to. No more jumping around. No more falling allowed or the knee replacements can pull out of my bones.

It’s crystal clear that you need to discontinue bicycling because of your prostate problems. You should have stopped after your initial prostate problems, which I’m glad to see you’ll finally admit to. We’ve talked about this before.

Life is suffering; it’s very simple. Take up backpacking or birdwatching instead. Life isn’t all about the bicycle. There are so many other things you can do to get exercise. If you want the wind in your face, buy a convertible and drive slowly, at the pace of the bicycle.

Good luck with the treatments that lie ahead of you.

This study is from the National Institute of Health, a very trustworthy source, not some cheap biking magazine that’s trying to convince you to keep hurting yourself just so you’ll buy the products they advertise.

“A recent Journal of Men’s Health article examined a new study from London, which found a correlation of hours of cycling each week to the incidence of prostate cancer in men over 50. The study involved a self-reported response to an online survey appearing in UK cycling magazines. With 2,027 qualified surveys, researchers found a positive correlation of hours of cycling each week with the self-report of prostate cancer. In other words, the more cycling, the more reports of prostate cancer. This was particularly evident in those who cycled more than 8.5 hours per week.”

“Men already suffering from an enlarged prostate or erection problems should avoid putting undue pressure on the area and discontinue bicycling.”

@snow - You bring up so many good points about having to leave something behind that you have always loved. It doesn't even have to involve as in your case a snow boarding accident. It isn't always something major. It can often be something rather benign - and yet bingo, everything in your life changes in an instant. - You are correct in saying find something else that you can enjoy. It may never replace the same feeling, but yes, I think your point is enjoy what you can no matter your physical limitations FIND SOMETHING! - My husband and I are currently in a wait and see mode after a heart ablation. Then yes, no matter - we will have to find something else maybe through trial and error that we like. - re your upcoming knee replacement. Everyone that I have known that went through it absolutely loves their new knee. A friend of mine did both at the same time! But, as you probably well know, you have to start moving right away - no matter the pain, which you are too familiar with. Keep us posted as the inclination strikes you. - Pam

snow said:
Every overlyzealous male bicyclist I’ve known has had multiple bouts of prostate cancer. A skiing buddy of mine, who was my brother’s father-in-law, refused to quit bicycling hard-core every day after he had his first bout of prostate cancer, and now he’s *dead* from prostate cancer because he was too stubborn to quit biking!!! The connection between prostate cancer and bicycling has been proven over and over and over again, for decades now.

Nobody wants to be told they can’t continue their favorite physical activity, but sometimes you simply have to. I’d love to be backpacking, skiing, snowboarding, rock climbing, ice climbing, or out dancing every night like I was in my 20s and 30s. But snowboarding destroyed my entire spine from my neck to my tailbone, dancing destroyed my feet, and since I’ve needed knee replacements for the past 13 years of being bone-on-bone, you won’t catch me doing any of those things my soul craves because they dramatically exacerbate my spine and knee problems, potentially even making my incontinence worse by further damaging my lumbar vertebrae. Fortunately I am finally getting my first knee replacement on Dec. 27 and maybe then I can return to some of my previous activities, but not to the extent and speed that I used to. No more jumping around. No more falling allowed or the knee replacements can pull out of my bones.

It’s crystal clear that you need to discontinue bicycling because of your prostate problems. You should have stopped after your initial prostate problems, which I’m glad to see you’ll finally admit to. We’ve talked about this before.

Life is suffering; it’s very simple. Take up backpacking or birdwatching instead. Life isn’t all about the bicycle. There are so many other things you can do to get exercise. If you want the wind in your face, buy a convertible and drive slowly, at the pace of the bicycle.

Good luck with the treatments that lie ahead of you.

This study is from the National Institute of Health, a very trustworthy source, not some cheap biking magazine that’s trying to convince you to keep hurting yourself just so you’ll buy the products they advertise.

“A recent Journal of Men’s Health article examined a new study from London, which found a correlation of hours of cycling each week to the incidence of prostate cancer in men over 50. The study involved a self-reported response to an online survey appearing in UK cycling magazines. With 2,027 qualified surveys, researchers found a positive correlation of hours of cycling each week with the self-report of prostate cancer. In other words, the more cycling, the more reports of prostate cancer. This was particularly evident in those who cycled more than 8.5 hours per week.”

“Men already suffering from an enlarged prostate or erection problems should avoid putting undue pressure on the area and discontinue bicycling.”

You are misunderstanding these studies. Cycling pressure on the prostate can irritate it and raise PSA number above normal levels but that is a false positive for cancer. It is recommended to refrain from cycling prior to prostate exams for that reason. Also, there are many saddles - good ones - that have an opening that prevents contact with the perineum. Most men my age, including myself, use those saddles. There is no reason to quit cycling, especially when it is good for your cardiovascular and mental health.

@Pammy53 Thank you, dear. Over the past few years I’ve taken up some gardening and bird watching rather than flying off cliffs all the time. Much less physically and emotionally exciting, but still full of wonder.

@cyclist Go ahead and keep cycling at your own risk. One day you’ll be on here telling us you have prostate cancer. Those seats don’t make any difference; my brother’s father-in-law used those seats and still died of prostate cancer. One of my best friends was an avid bicyclist always using those seats, and he still got prostate cancer at age 50. You’re probably incontinent because you’re a cyclist. You sound like someone who argues with a doctor when he/she tells you that you need knee and hip replacements because you’re constantly pounding the pavement running, but despite what the doctor tells you, you insist running isn’t why you have osteoarthritis and that running isn’t why you need joint replacements, and you just keep on running and destroying your body, as if the thing wearing down a runner’s joints is sitting at home in a chair reading a book. No, it’s running! In your case, it’s bicycling! Good luck with that; you’ll be sorry one day. Our bodies are not built to live such long lifespans doing activities our bodies aren’t made to do.

And one of the articles I posted above says if you have incontinents problems, you should not continue cycling.

First of all, I wish you a complete recovery from this. I was curious, so I asked a friend who is an avid cyclist, and he sent me the following information. I have no medical training, so I can't evaluate this, but here is something to consider.
Best of health to you.

@MAM, I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. That's a difficult thing to hear from your doctor. I'm happy to hear that you've caught it early, though, and I wish you ged results from surgery and a very speedy recovery.

As far as the connection to cycling, it's important to remember that statistics are not individual experiences, and individuals experiences are not statistics. We must always assess the risks of doing activities we love, and do what we can to mitigate those risks. We should also recognize that not doing things you love also carries risks - that is the path to becoming an embittered shut-in, which is not something anybody wants.

I'm an avid cyclist, and I may one day get the same devastating diagnosis you've received. Yet giving up cycling is no guarantee that I won't get prostate cancer. If I were to give up cycling, I would pay a heavy price by losing an activity I love, and I would lose the health benefits of regular physical activity and time spent enjoying myself with friends. I mitigate the risks I can control with cycling, and I accept the risks I cannot control.

Did your cycling cause your prostate cancer? That's impossible to say. Has cycling contrived to your overall physical and mental health? Absolutely. While it's fair to acknowledge that cycling may increase the risk of prostate cancer, it's unrealistic to simply blame your cancer on cycling, and it's disingenuous to indict cycling as a risky activity while ignoring the many, many health benefits of cycling.

MAM, I was treated by this nationally recognized MD, who said there is no stage 1 through 5 for prostate cancer. Its either Contained or Not Contained. Your stage 1 diagnosis likely means its contained but a biopsy is the only way to determine that and also gives you a Gleason score, which is more important vs PSA number. Mine was contained so chose to have removal.