Moving from denial to anger

Archives1

Staff member
Hi,

I’ve made som progress in accepting my neurogenic bladder and incontinence but I feel like the more comfortable I get with it, I guess I’m still grieving the fact that I’m losing strength sooner than I thought I would.

I used to have my helpers put on baby powder while standing up but I noticed that it is a lot easier for both of us when I’m laying down. I just feel more and more infantile the more I take care of myself. I think I’m angry because I thought I knew the prognosis of my cerebral palsy and apparently I didn’t. I guess this is part of having a disability…I just didn’t expect to be four years old again so fast.

Thank you for listening to my rambling, I really appreciate it!

I've always tried to remind myself that this could happen to anyone. I haven't been laughed at because of it, but if that did happen, I'd remind the person that it could be them next, and, like me, they wouldn't see it coming.

May I suggest you look at this as an adult problem? I mean, it actually is- more adults wear incontinence products than we realize, and in many, if not most cases, it is for a lot longer than when a person first comes into this world.

Many of the Big corporations that manufacture adult incontinence protection predict that in less than ten years the use of adult protection products will surpass the children's products. Many things factor into this, aging population, lower birth rates etc. That fact remains, very soon more adults will be wearing protection than children.
It’s time the stigma went the way of the Dodo Bird, and that guilt implanted in many of us needing protection finally gets defeated. I seems that guilt was utilized on such a grand scale to get children out of diapers still holds strong as it was implanted in our psyche by such powerful forces at such a young and malleable age, it’s amazing it still holds up!
Just think of all the things we were told as children Santa, the Easter Bunny etc. etc. that all proved to be untrue before the age of 10, yet the stigma of using diapers, although changed a bit over the years still holds true for so many.
Personally after dealing with incontinence for 30 years and knowing it’s reality, I don’t give a “@#$&* what anybody else thinks. As I’ve said before, if I leaked all over somebody’s expensive sofa, or car seat they would be rightfully upset, I’ve seen it happen to a dear friend who refused to acknowledge her own incontinence even after multiple interventions from friends and family.
I think it’s going to take the big manufacturers to really get the proper marketing out there before things start to really change, as the Stigma itself is in all corners of the Globe…
Just my 2c