Male Sling

If I knew it would cure my incontinence 100 percent then maybe. I have no problem wearing diapers. It has become 2nd nature now.

Grseme.

I’m 4 years post prostatectomy, leaked like a sieve, did pads and penile clamps.
Grew fatigued with the clamps and decided to try the male sling.
I’m 40 days post surgery and almost totally dry. I now wear no pads or clamps. I still get into situations that can result with leaks but nothing compared to my previous 4 years
A sling decision should be investigated closely with your urologist but it definitely shouldn’t be discounted.
Out patient surgery, two days with catheter, 1 month of no lifting or exercise, minor to moderate pain with movement for the first 2 weeks.
The sling is a permanent insertion and requires no maintenance or replacement.

My urologist discussed the following concerning incontinence and when a "male sling" or "tightening up" would occur.

If you have been following up with your urologist every 3 months over the past year, then I would consider a male sling. It is nice to have @dcraw34 experience. My reading did indicate the the male sling is for mild to moderate incontinence. Meaning if you are wearing a diaper, this many not be the option for you, but discuss with your urologist.

1) 50% of his patients are dry at 3 months
2) 75% of his patients are dry at 6 months
3) 95% of his patients are dry at 12 months
4) for the other 3% - respond well to the male sling (tightening up), but he works with his patients a full year before opening up this option.
4) for the other 2% - incontinence - look at other options

I’m very skeptical about the widely stated continence success rates. I challenged my sling surgeon about the success rates and he said it’s all about the definition of being dry.
I think the medical industry has badly missed the boat on incontinence.
I had to figured out everything about incontinence on my own. Your continence is a very low priority with the urologists.
My 4 years of leaking was treated more as a personal challenge than a medical problem. Once you accept your situation it’s no longer a problem.

@dcraw43

I totally agree with your comment on many urologists viewing incontinence as a personal challenge rather than a medical problem. My prior urologist, who did the procedure that resulted in my incontinence, seemed very annoyed that I would be wasting his time discussing my incontinence rather than praising him for the excellent job he claims he did in removing the calcium stones that had developed in my prostate. He should have known that, due to my prior radiation treatment for prostate surgery, the laser TURP procedure he proposed would almost certainly result in some level of incontinence. But he failed to bring this up in our pre-surgery consultation.

Fortunately I have now found a urologist who is really tuned into helping me achieve the best result I can, given that he cannot undo the permanent damage done by the prior doctor. Sometimes all we can do is live and learn!