Male skin problem

Archives1

Staff member
A few times recently the skin on my scrotum has become like leather, then very dry and then peeled off like tissue paper. Is this likely to be dermatitis caused by urine? There is no pain and no itching. Has anyone had this? Is a barrier cream the answer? Any ideas welcome, Phil

I have experienced the same problem. Doctor wrote a script for Sulfadiazine cream. Worked very well. My doctor couldn't tell me why it happen.

Phil, hopes it helps. Please share if you can get anyone to explain why this happens. The first time it happened it scared me.

physlink said:
A few times recently the skin on my scrotum has become like leather, then very dry and then peeled off like tissue paper. Is this likely to be dermatitis caused by urine? There is no pain and no itching. Has anyone had this? Is a barrier cream the answer? Any ideas welcome, Phil

Hi Phil, this could be a result of chemicals and plastic if you are using a diapering product. I have been in the cloth diaper space for 19 years and this has been a cause of similar issues. Barrier cream could most certainly help, or a more natural fibers next to the skin. Hope it gets better. Sounds very unpleasant.

Tereson said:
physlink said:

Hi Phil, this could be a result of chemicals and plastic if you are using a diapering product. I have been in the cloth diaper space for 19 years and this has been a cause of similar issues. Barrier cream could most certainly help, or a more natural fibers next to the skin. Hope it gets better. Sounds very unpleasant.

I only wear cotton now as I have found a direct correlation between polyester and having a rash in the past.

@Tereson I do have to use tena slips most of the time. I wondered if it was caused by my own urine, maybe I should try drinking more water? Phil

Did any Doc say if it was "fungal"? Like athlete's foot, except I've forgotten the proper name. But isn't that supposed to be itching? In any event, warm-&-wet is the ideal environment for bacteria and fungi. Had a case of that once or twice, long before the incontinence. I still have some of a tube of the cream, "Miconazole Nitrate", cream USP 2%. Worked like magic. Don't have the box it came in, so can't tell you if it is OTC or prescription. If you speak English instead of American, that's "Script".
It is frustrating. The medical profession more or less treats this as a minor nuisance. I've never even seen one of those one-page brochures. Only way we get help, it seems, is here. Bless the nurses on here. Has anyone here found reading material, whether those "baby brochures" or a serious write-up, that talks about the "side effects"? The psycology of this isn't a side effect to us, but the Doctors seem to treat it that way. Anyone?
P.S. It was a shower at work shared by at least 4 of us - and i used straight chlorine bleach to scrub the hell out of that stainless-steel shower every time i came back to work for another few months. Maybe i should start a new thread just on this?

@AlasSouth it's more like a burn, but dry, very difficult to describe. I did Google scrotal dermatitis and the pictures do look like what I have experienced. It only seems to last for a week or so and then it can be several weeks before it happens again, Phil

Sounds like urine burn, diaper rash or jock itch...aka fungal infection. I would talk to your doctor. They are no fun. 🙁😝

Try going to Walmart and picking up an anti fungal. Lotramin AF cream probably in the footcare isle or Monistat cream in the feminine needs isle. The genetics of both work really well and are soothing on your skin.
There are allot of different types of fungal infections though so if you can just go show your doctor first and see what they recommend.

@jrpoorman I had a review appointment following Botox treatment this morning. Although there wasn't much to show my doctor, he thinks from my description that it could be something called ref scrotum syndrome. This is a chronic type of dermatitis that can develop in men, usually from 50's onwards. No one knows what causes it, but it is characterized by cycles of very dry peeling skin with red skin underneath. Having to use protective underwear will make it worse. He advised mosturising cream, barrier cream when I think I may be particularly wet. Yet another problem to deal with, but as is usually the case, it could be worse! When I next get a flare up he wants me to see him so he can confirm the diagnosis. Cheers Phil

@jrpoorman no problem, I would rather have a normal one too. Hopefully, it won't flare up very often. Phil

I have found that several of the creams used for the treatment of athletes foot work to counteract redness and itchiness on the scrotum and adjacent areas.