Looking for an active Diaper

Archives1

Staff member
So I'm getting back into martial arts particularly Ju Jitsu. When I was doing Taekwondo I wasn't wearing any protection because things weren't as bad, but now I wear pretty much 24/7. I wear Dry 24 which are good throughout the day, but sense Ill be on the ground rolling with other people and I don't want so much bulk. I'm looking for something lighter/less noticeable. I'm thinking Northshore light or a Tena product, but any advice will be cool!

I rarely use disposable diapers. I only bed wet so I use cloth and plastic pants. I would suggest you contact the customer service department of who you deal with. They will have the best information for you and can provide samples for you to try.

I've gotten some samples already, just trying to find out what works for others who might be in the same boat as me. No better insight from those who use the products!

my advice is a good pull-up diaper. if i was you i would talk to someone at north shore diapers. be honest about what you need and they might have an answer for you. if you prefer tape tab diaper you can still wear them. if you are doing a active that is physic a pull up might be best way to go, a tape diaper might come loose or come a part. i hope this helps.

I would suggest a high capacity pull-up. I've used both the Abena Abri-Flex and Molicare Mobile and they have worked well for me. Northshore Care Supply also has several high capacity pull-ups that you might want to try, they usually will send you a few samples to try out. None of these have the capacity or security of a good tape-up diaper but they work well for a limited amount of time.

Another possibility is a "stretch style" diaper like the Tena Stretch or Walmart Assurance Stretch. The capacity isn't great but due to the super stretchy sides they really stay in place. It's what I use when I do yard work.

Hi @RobV, If you're doing martial arts then a well-fitting pull-up for sure!:) It fits like underwear and it's not as bulky as a regular tape-on brief. I think @MRjw48 up above had a good point in that a tape-on diaper can come untaped or fall apart. You definitely don't want that when things are hot and heavy on the martial arts mats! :eek: If you are severely incontinent, then do call NorthShore as the others have suggested and tell them exactly what you want. They will come through for you. I don't need something really heavy and I wear Prevail maximum abs. pull-ons or Aleyne men's underwear, both of which aren't bulky and are pretty discreet while being quite absorbent. But I'll tell you the Aleyne men's model has a surprising capacity (at least for my somewhat moderate needs) and is discreet and fits well. It really doesn't look like your standard incontinence garment and would be a good fit under a ju jitsu outfit.
Prevail comes from CareWell (on line) and Aleyne comes from Norton Hurley out in South Dakota (also on line). Both have good customer service if you want to go that route. Hope you find something soon!

Hi @RobV . I'm like @artiejr and a bedwetter only also so can't say much about being active. But as others like @MRjw48 , @Padded53 , @snow , and @billliveshere have said a good pull style would probably work best. I get from your post that you want to heard directly form others who are active and what works best for them and some will probably add to the conversation here. With that a call to Northshore is highly advisable. Though you would most likely not be talking with some who has experienced wearing a product during high active times (though who knows you might) the person will be very knowledgeable and probably has talked with a lot of other people asking the same question you are. They can share what other customers have tried and recommend.

Great to hear you are looking at getting back into an active sport. If I had day issues my kayaking would not be a problem, least I don't think so, but I would wonder about my mt biking/trail riding and what to wear for protection.

JT

I know this will probably be highly frowned upon, but starting with Akido in Jr. High, then a short stint with Cobra Kai, while in New York for a summer after seeing Karate Kid (Very brutal mix of Shotokan, or so they say)then 20 years of Shotokan. Until 7 years ago I traveled all over the world for work, so I used an indwelling catheter and bag often. I found by using a catheter plug with a pad inside my cup allowed me the freedom to not think about it for at least a few hours a day when in the Dojo. I never had a problem with the catheter, but I took extreme care to guard against infection. Not knowing what country I might be in & when, and what kind of medical care might be available I had to be extremely cautious. During my 30’s I competed when I could until someone from one of the “BIG BANKS” called my boss (a good friend of mine)and told him I frightened some of the staff walking into the executive offices with black eyes & stitches a time or two! In hindsight I highly recommend the head gear along with whatever other protection you need, in my warped mind it’s all the same! The Attends Belted briefs were very easy to hide as well. I laud you, what a great way to keep your mind & body focused!

@Dfgilbert Unfortunately Tena in the U.S. makes the most inferior of incontinence products. I’m glad they’re better in the UK!

I researched their parent company, Essity. Their corporate website indicates that they’re the leaders in the UK, Canada, and Sweden, and are just starting to branch out in the U.S.

I haven't been too impressed with Tena, at least not the American models, but I'm not at all familiar with the British ones. If they are just starting to branch out in the U.S. I wonder if that means improvements are on the way?

Yes essity is the parent company, I would have thought that the American version would be the same but maybe not, could juat be that I'm easily pleased lol, either way they do a job for me

@Dfgilbert I've been using tena maxi for several years. I have always got them in the UK, but the country of manufacture keeps changing and I have noticed that the same product from different countries fit slightly differently and seem to have slightly different absorption. I would think that tena products sold in the US are likely to be made locally rather than shipping them across from Europe? Anyway, just a thought as to why users in different countries might have different experience? Cheers Phil

@physlink sounds reasonable, ive never tried any products overseas so I would have no idea about any differences, I assume most the company's try to individualise the products for the market where they are selling with varied success

Hi @RobV I think the pull ups sound like a good choice when you're dressed for ju jitsu, etc. Certainly will be much more convenient to put on and you don't have to worry about them falling apart.
And @physlink, I think you're right as I also suspect the Tenas sold in the U.S. are likely to be made in the U.S. It is just easier as far as shipping is concerned, not to mention the cost of importing things. Maybe at some point I'll have the opportunity to try Tenas made in Britain and that would be a fair basis for comparison.
And @Dfgilbert, I think that's reasonable to assume that all companies do individualize their products to suit the local market place.
Cheers to all of you! 🍺

I just ordered some pull ups and samples of others. I'm planning on starting next week so let cross those fingers and hope that everything goes ok!

@RobV I'm a pretty active 23 year old with varying urinary urge incontinence due to an overactive bladder. I find what protection works best while being active largely depends on how my bladder is acting often I've had issues with pull ups. I tend to have sudden floods when I can't reach the restroom in time and often even with high end pullups I've had issues with leaks. I've mainly started to lean towards using heavier tape on protection most of the time although will still use pull ons in certain situations. Snce Ju Jitsu is a lot of grappling, really I would think the main factors would be how your incontinence behaves and how much you care whether others know about your incontinence. If your going with pullups I would maybe use some sort of waterproof cover like GaryWear or something similar just in case of leaks