LEAVING THE COUNTRY WITH INCONTINENCE

Archives1

Staff member
HEY Am 23 and i have been a bed wetter since forever. i had couple of relationships but had to terminate it because of incontinence, my Mum doesn't fully understand what i am going through so also my younger sisters. i have never talked to anyone about it, it's a burden i carry about everyday of my life. Now i am about to leave the country for two weeks and am scared of having events over there. You should know mine occurs at unstable intervals, sometimes i have a four months break. what can i do?

Pack reliable protection and keep track of handicapped/family restrooms, especially at airports and shopping malls. Good luck.

Patrick gives good advice. No one knows your body as well as you do, each and everyone of us, so stay prepared and be happy. Kudos for active adults!

If you travel say to NYC for the day, you'll want to be wearing as many layers of protection in your adult brief as possible. The idea is to just use what you're wearing and remove the wet layers as they get soiled.

ummulkhay23,

Thanks for the compliment, but it was undeserved. At airports I try to go through security with dry protection; afterwards I change into a heavy Abena or Molicare for the flight. I had a urinary sphincterotomy in August 1999, so I have essentially no bladder control. More recently, I am losing bowel control as well, which poses problems that I am unskilled at solving. At home I prefer heavy washable protection, especially at night.

If this helps, I am going over seas shortly, and was worried about going through the scanners. I called TSA, and specifically asked about wearing diapers. I asked my doctor to write me a letter stating I wear diapers for incontinence in case they start asking embarrassing questions.

As long as you go through dry, diapers will not show up as an abnomility.

The TSA said this:
Thank you for contacting the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Contact Center regarding Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) screening for passengers using specific personal hygiene products.

Sanitary napkins, panty liners, and adult diapers may appear as an anomaly on AIT monitors during screening. If an item does result in an anomaly, the individual will be referred for additional screening, including a patdown of the area(s) of the body that resulted in the anomaly.

If passengers are screened using a patdown, it is important to know the following:

• A private screening will be offered if the patdown involves sensitive areas.
• Patdowns will be conducted by a TSO of the same gender.
• Passengers may ask for private screening at any time.
• A companion may be present during the private patdown screening with the TSO or other TSA employee, and this companion will be rescreened when the patdown is completed.
• Passengers should not be asked or required to remove or lift any article of clothing to reveal a sensitive body area

For additional information on AIT and the passenger screening process, please visit the TSA Web site at www.tsa.gov.