leakage after prostate cancer surgery

Yea, surgery Oct 28th, leaked like crazybtye first 3-4 weeks started with Pull ups, then Maximum Pad, now Iafter 11 weeks I'm mainly under control, more of an occasional drip, wearing 1 shield a day. When was your surgery?

My surgery was December 9. I had a bad experience sitting in class yesterday had a big pee stain in my pants. so embarrassing

When you say you leaked like crazy, did you bladder ever fill up... I constantly drip.. Sitting and standing it always comes out.... The only time I can put anything in my bladder is when i lay down... Was yours the same ??? Its like the bladder valve is not closing..

I guess i should of said I never have any urine in my system to use the toilet... Its always coming out... I am 3 weeks since surgery...

I suggest wearing whatever level of protection you need until it clears up. Continue doing the Labels, try and get out and walk as much as possible. Everybody has a differenf experience, but I stopped leaking while laying down or sitting first. They slowly regained control. I still have issues if I drink too much caffeine, so 1 cup of coffee in the morning and one at the end of the day and I stay pretty dry all day long

JSVames, at first I constantly dripped, the catather kept the bladder empty for the first 7 days, so as I understand it, the bladder shrinks. Do the kagel exercises, walk and you will ne able to hold it longer. After 11 weeks, I can go 2.5 to 3 hours without leaking or going to the bathroom. The bladder is a muscle and it will stretch as you heal. It does get better, but it's slow and frustrating. Keep exercising and keep your head up.

Marlondb, Kagel exercises, walking, and patients worked for me. I started seeing progress about 3 weeks from surgery, then about every week after that. Your body needs to heal, lot of drama down there and the bladder control comes back slow. Once I started not dripping while I was sitting down, I would drink lots of water and hold it as long as I could hoping to stretch the bladder. I believe it helped, who knows. Just keep doing the Labels even if you don't think there is progress, it takes time.

I sat down or even laid down for kagels, if I tried doing them standing I was soaked at the end, and that was very frustrating. But after 2-3 weeks I didn't mean much lying down or in a sitting position. I don't wear any type pads or anything at night now.

I didn't do kagles at first when I walked, because I was worn out just from walking, but after a few weeks I would flex about 50%, and hold it as long as I could. After a while I could get clear around the block with little leakage. You will have good days and bad days, frustrating, but don't give up. This is as much a mental fight as it is physical, I believe. After 4-5 weeks I'd have a good nearly dry morning and then around 1 pm leaked a lit. Finally figured it had to do with just being tired. It's a major surgery, takes time to heal.

I am 3 and a half weeks post surgery with catheter removal 8 days later. Fortunately, I only leak when I am standing or walking. When I am sitting at work, I can make it about 1 hour to an hour and a quarter depending on how much I am drinking before I feel I have to pee. If I concentrate and clamp down, I can make it to the bathroom at work with little or no leaking which has gotten better in the second week back. It definitely gets more difficult in the afternoon and evening as the muscles get tired. I do most of my Kegel exercises while sitting, but have started doing them standing once every few days.

I'm not too concerned about urination frequency yet. Pre-surgery I would generally go every 1-2 hours at work and was usually up 2-3 times at night as well. I think it's partly my anatomy. My sister was joking that she has a week pee stream, goes frequently and is up several times a night to pee so she must have an enlarged prostate. :)

Gkimp, I read what you said previous.... and thank you for the information.....
How do I get my bladder to stretch... I drip or leak out so much when standing or walking,, That my bladder never keeps liquid in it.. The only time I have some liquid in my bladder is when I lay down or sit down... Then when I get up,, I clamp down really hard, but it seems like there is just too much pressure and it starts coming out. I do the kegels all the time.. I put the app on my phone... I am wondering if something is not closing in the bladder, letting the fluid to escape..

I had the same issues, I walked a lot, seemed to leak a bit less ever 3-5 days. About week 4 I was still peeking every 45 min to an hour. I actually one weekend Sat in my chair, drank 2 24 oz bottles of water and held off peeking until I coupdnt stand it anymore. You have to remember the bladder is a muscle, so it never fills while the catheter is in and it shrinks plus they re-stitxched your urethra to it so it's tramatized from that, it gets better, patients is your friend. I dont know if there is anyway to rush the process. Keep up Labels, walk if you can (even though you'll be soaked for a while) and it started to improve for me about week 4. Hope this helps