Just kind of curious

At this point my problem is simple compared to most people here. All I have is bladder urgency and frequency with a little leakage. Constipation became an issue when I started taking so many medications for other conditions I have.

I have never been able to sleep through the night - even in my youth. I had at least one awakening every night. It became worse after a complex kidney stone surgery. I went home after 3 days in recovery. Then blood clots blocked my bladder. In the E/R an incompetent nurse inflated a Foley in the sphincter muscle - BEFORE it was fully in my bladder. No one understood why I was screaming for the next 3 days and nights. Well the damage had been done.

I also have RLS (Restless Legs Syndrome), OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea), shoulder, back, hip, feet, overall body pains, gastric reflux, and radical swings in blood pressure. Oh, I also have "proctalgia fugax". No such thing as a good night sleep for me.

So this is just another stage in my aging process.

Etamilbus i was brought up with a lot of shaming and blaming and sense of inadequacy no matter what the success or reasonable out come of my efforts. Combined with a family history of depression i think it contributes to a self harming life attitude. For most of my life i heard positives as a reproach ( you did a good job/ you could do better if you tried. You look beautiful/ you would if you lost 5 lbs).
I finally outgrew this, a combination of factors that i cant go into now. But i can understand self harming alittle because i ignored the voice in my head that told me I was doing myself lasting harm and did it anyhow on more than one occasion.
Not much help but i hear you here.

Guess a combination of things. Wrecked my motorcycle when I was 17. Diabetes and have neurological issues with legs and such. Neurogenic / overactive bladder. Oxybutinin (Detrol LA) helps with spasms but still have those pesky surprises with wetting whenever my bladder tells me off. Lol
Better to be in a pull-up, brief or leg bag than to be walking around smelling like pee with wet pants. Not exactly what the Ladies would find sexy...I try to make light of it. I’m Blessed, life is good, I have met some wonderful and Inspiring people here in the NAFC chat groups. Can’t complain, best part, I just made it through Walmart without having to stop at the bathroom and i didn’t pee myself. It’s a good day! Be Blessed my friends. I pray for all of us every day.🥰
Kind regards,
Jim
Happy 4th!!!

I know allot of us struggle with depression for a variety of reasons. I do too. Some days it’s hard to feel sunny because life isn’t always sunny. I guess most days I just say thanks for another day Lord and do my best to make it good for others. I choose to just say well just because I have to wear different underwear than most folks. I’m not going to let that define who I am.
Hope everyone has a nice day today. It looks like it’s going to pour down rain here in Westminster, Md. I have to go visit Dad at the Rehab Nursing place. Happy 4th!!!

Urologist after eurodynamic study determined I had a neurogenic bladder, maybe since birth which explained why I wet at night and struggled my whole life with wetting during the day. The Dr. said my bladder reacts similar to a babies. Ive been wearing diapers at night forever and started disposables during the day about 12 years ago. Aside for the cost, life is so much better now. Fortunate for me I never get any irritation or rashes from being wet.

I'm also dealing with a few chronic issues including "fragile" diabetes type I that went undiagnosed for an extended period, chronic pain from poly-neuropathy, bladder/bowel nerve/muscle dis-synergy post motor vehicle accident (hit by drunk driver). Both my knees and ankles have arthritis. Been diagnosed with chronic pain. These are the issues that directly have impact on continence-don't want to bore you with the rest
Been incontinent for a long time and at times its been the hardest thing on my list to manage/accept etc.

J

"The only easy day was yesterday" - Navy SEAL

CanadianBaby: Not sure what "fragile diabetes" is, but the Docs insist my diabetes is the cause of the Peripheral Neuropathy. How that works when the PN came first by over a year is beyond me. Only 20% of PN is caused by trauma, so that makes it easier to blame the patient for the diabetes. The trauma was Septic Shock when the 2nd knee replacement in the same knee got infected. It used to be harder to distinguish the PN from the Arthritis pain. The Incontinence fades, then something sets it off again.
I've been experimenting with CBD in capsule form, 10 MGs, 20 MGs at a time, before bed, and it really seems to help. I wasn't sure at 10 MGs. I might go to 30 MGs. Not sure what Canada's policy is. The USA Feds have been mostly leaving it alone - apparently the private prison industry is full of those dangerous pot smokers....
Consumer's Union announced they are doing a study; they seem to say the evidence it helps is promising. They are concerned about the purity of the OTC CBD, the inconsistent strength, contaminants, and the lack of real medical studies, too. The oil didn't work for me, it does for some, i guess.
The other thing that helps me with PN pain is Diclofenac Gel. (Used to be called Voltarin). Much better than the pill form, less gets in your blood system. Here it's prescription. It is magic for my foot pain (hits 5 or 7) and for that burning-wire sensation from knee to foot. Not sure what the connection is, but the less pain, the less incontinence. Not none, but I'll take what i can get.
I haven't seen a connection between pain and incontinence, much, here, until the pain gets extreme.

AlasSouth,
Sorry to hear about the neuropathic pain. I take Lyrica for that now. It helps allot. The feeling of hot, cold being stabbed and poked by pins and needles or a “hot wire” is terrible. Glad you found something to help.
Hope everyone has a nice day today.
Jim

my diabetes is very unstable. stress is a major contributor. the moment i'm stressed my sugar goes way up, and will tend to stay there regardless of how much insulin I throw at it. the moment i get sick with a cold or flu, same thing. sugar through the roof.I'm on an insulin pump and that has made a difference in the last year , but I've been relatively healthy the last year.

currently for pain i use lyrica, duloxetine, tapentadol, and high level THC medical marijuana. I strongly suggest trying medical marijuana with THC, as THC is far more effective on neuropathic pain. I argued this point with my doctor for almost a year until someone released a study stating that indeed I was correct. The CBD you're using will have some impact on the surface of your skin and just below, but with the severe DEEP pain THC is where it's at. I use 17-1 THC-CBD ratio dried flower marijuana that I vaporize. I also have a prescription cream containing lidocaine, gabapentin, and ketamine. I use 2-grams of marijuana/day and apply the cream four times a day.

J