It helped me

Archives1

Staff member
I have walked for about a decade now. When I got a high PSA reading I walked even more. As I awaited further tests and appointments I worked on a healthy diet, good sleep routines and exercise. I began to walk (weather permitting) briskly for 6-8km per day. About 8 months later I had a radical prostatectomy. I did short walks as I could. As soon as the catheter was removed I worked back up to my regular walks. It took me about a week to feel comfortable with 6km. My nights were only with a pad but I really didn't need one. Daytime I only used a few pads for small leaks. In five weeks I was totally continent. I don't wear anything at night and only a pad if I am going out and just in case. I feel lucky at 67 to have had this experience and to overcome the incontinence. Walking kept my pelvic floor strong as well as feed my brain and healing parts with oxygen fresh blood. It kept me in good spirits and helped me have 8-9 hours of solid sleep each night. I am certain that my quick recovery is a result of walking. I am hoping that my experience might help some of you who are anticipating incontinence. If you are able to, walk daily and at a good pace (10 minutes per kilometer}. Good luck.

Congratulations, and thanks for the inspiration to keep up my walking for general overall good health!

Thanks for your post - that is very encouraging to me as I had the same surgery two weeks ago today and am looking for anything that will speed my recovery process, as I absolutely hate the inconvenience and discomfort of wearing pads / pull ups 24/7. I started walking today with a slow-paced 1/2 mile around my block. My only discomfort so far is from the chaffing of the pad on the posterior surface of my pelvic floor. Someone said that walking would accelerate the urine dribbling, and it was true. I'm curious if wearing a pullup would be better for walking than a pad? Either way, it will be a wet experience I'm sure.

I'm looking forward to following your walking advice!

I only wore pads when I walked. I was able to change pads half way through my walk. Anything like pull ups would chafe. Within 2 weeks the dribbling stopped. 5 weeks and no leaks.

I agree, exercise is critical to recovery. I am an avid runner and cyclist. I had my surgery 8 weeks ago, was walking 6 miles a day with the cath. Once that was removed I continued walking for 3 weeks until I felt good about short / slow runs and started doing them 2-3 days a week. At 5 weeks I got back on the bike with a new seat, in the garage for 30 min. I also found that when I loaded and unloaded the abdomen I would leak so I started doing planks to add more core strength without the risk of hernia from crunches.

I tracked my progress by weighing the pads before and after. Looking back I was continent at 5 weeks, and stopped wearing pads at 6.5 weeks except for going out in dress slacks.

Exercise and activity is key to recovery, but we have to listen to our bodies and not over do it. They initially told me no lifting over 10 lbs. however as an engineer I questioned (repeatedly) why 10? Finally they told me not to strain, with that I had my guidance. I explained to my wife that I could move a 25lb bag of dog food without straining, but I would not try to unload a pallet of bags.

I hope this helps others.

Yes indeed - your post confirms everything others have been saying about exercise vs. prostate surgery recovery. Thank you so much, and continued good luck on your journey:)