Introduction

Archives1

Staff member
Hope I’m doing this right.
66 year old male, robotically assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy in 2017. Subsequent PSA levels, undetectable (thank goodness). My main problem has been incontinence. Going through 5-8 depends a day until 2019 when I had the male sling installed. That worked a bit, but still 3-5 pads a day. Had AUS implanted on March 28th. I had an “accident” and tore through the stitches on my perineal incision, so that set us back a couple of weeks. Going to have the device activated on May 16 (5 year anniversary of my prostatectomy).
So I guess my question is for those of you who have the AUS implanted. What is your overall daily life like with the device. I golf 5 days a week (even when I was changing pads 5 times a day).
What am I in for?
Any comments, very welcomed!

James, I don’t know the first thing about AUS. I just wanted to say I'm impressed as heck that you golf 5 days a week despite using 5 pads a day. You’re a model for us all to keep your chin up and don’t let incontinence control your day. Well done!

You'll be pretty much back to normal, a few drips here and there. I use half a woman's extra light pad.
I drop trou to pee. I ski 3mo a year, sail and scuba w/o issue
You should be 95+% normal. You won't be sorry about your decision

@James517

What is "AUS"?

There are several people here with Medtronic Interstim or Pacemaker. Is AUS some kind of neurostimulator by a different company?

Artificial urinary sphincter. I had one implanted on 3/28/22 for stress urinary incontinence as a result of radical prostatectomy.

Hello James, it’s been two years since my surgery, I have total incontinence also. I will have the AUS device implemented May 25. Keep us updated about your progress. Wishing you the best going forward.

@James517

Oh yes, I have heard about those, but I couldn't remember the acronym.

Thanks for the refresher.

Greetings,
Newbie here. 63yo robotic radical prostatectomy on 4/22/22. Catheter pulled after 7 days. It seemed as though I had pretty good bladder control immediately after the catheter was removed but have since realized that it was something akin to "beginner's luck." I've had leakage issues since, mostly contained by light pads. I had a more disturbing episode today while mowing that I wasn't aware of until I stopped the riding mower. I guess it was the bumpy sections of cypress knees. I'm only 9 days post catheter removal but realizing that the sensations are just different right now. I've had a few issues with urgency with very little output. I get through the night fine. Today's episode just really caught me by surprise. It's been helpful to read other's experience here.

I'm amazed you’re mostly doing ok with light pads. I think the more typical experience involves weeks/months of pull-ups, weeks/months of heavy pads, and then light pads. I hope you continue to progress quickly. Keep us up to date.

@adphotoman it sounds like you are doing well, but be careful not to stress your body with physical activity too soon. Nine days post catheter removal sounds way too soon to be taking on yard work.
Its 5 years since my catheter came out but I still recall getting a dressing down from a continence nurse for carrying shopping bags from car to house after my wife had picked up groceries.
If you can take it easy for a few weeks you will have the best possible chance for a good recovery.

weeks to give things time to heal

Yes, apparently so. I was feeling good yesterday and tackled a few more chores around the yard. I'm finding that frequent squatting to pick small items off the ground stresses things a bit much. It seems like any change in body position is a trigger. I guess the yard work might need to wait a bit longer. Thank you for the input.