Interstim

Lee, yes, as a matter of fact, the last time I was in to see my Urologist a rep was on site and she made the changes. I still got charged. No one does it for free.

Whenever I meet with the Rep’s, the doctors office sets it up and I see them at his office, but the doctor is never involved, I only see the Rep. When the doctor implanted it, he told me his job was done & the Reps would meet with me if any changes were needed. I do have to go for annual check ups with the doc.

Yes, they know much more about the devices, it seems, plus so far the doctor has always kept up with any changes, I’ve been able to chat with him some by seeing him due to the way his office is set up. Maybe I should think about this question some more, hadn’t really given it much thought

Good question Stuart, I’m glad you asked, I think I would question it more if my unit wasn’t helping me

@Lee thanks for sharing this with us. Are there any circumstances when you have to switch it off or do you use it all the time? Thanks, Phil

@Kathylp One last question: Is getting the device replaced a big deal or is it done in the office without being knocked out?

I'd be very interested in finding more information about what happens when you turn it off. I work in a building that is a big grid, and it disables electronic devices. I like the idea of being able to go to the bathroom normally again, but I'm on the fence.

Stuart, yes, you have to be under anesthesia.
Jrpoorman, you cannot have a typical MRI when you have an Interstim implant. There is an MRI for just the head that is safe to have. I turn my Interstim off whenever I am going to be put out.

@Physlink, I leave my unit on all the time. When I first got it, I would turn it off every night, thinking it would help save the battery, but was finally told not to do that. I realize now it does need to be left on all the time. I’m sure you could turn it off for short periods occasionally, if needed, but really there is no need to.

I was told not to b/c the body needs to get used to having it, and adjust to it especially when first getting it. It’s not like you get a unit and just turn it on to work and turn it off when you want. You have to take time to find the best settings and it is recommended to try a setting for at least 3 days before changing to another level of intensity, and even longer when changing to a different program, at least that’s what I was told. From experience, it is a process to find the right settings, at least for me.