Intermittent cathing

Archives1

Staff member
I jus5 got done seeing my urologist and we have decided that I’ll be going back to intermittent cathing. He’s going to give me some medication to make it so I’ll only have to cath every 4-5 hours instead of 2. I’m gonna invest in some pull-ups so hopefully I’ll only need diapers at night. It’s a step in the right direction and I hope I won’t get any infection.

If anyone has any ic tips please throw them my way

Unfortunately diapers are just too expensive for me. I’m buying a case of crinklz and a case of Northshore pull-ups. This stuff is just so damn expensive. Catheters are covered by insurance. I dunno I just hate all of this

Hi EJ,
I understand completely. At least that will cut down on the amount of changes some. And definitely help your kidneys if retention is an issue. Hope all is going well.
Jim

Thanks Jim. And yea I have a paralyzed neurogenic bladder so retention is definitely an issue. Didn’t you say you self cathed? Do you have any tips? Also I’ll get to your pm. I broke the screen protector on my phone so I’m waiting for a new case and haven’t been on much. I’ll get back on later this afternoon and reply to your message

@justej I was surprised just how many types of catheter are available, so if the first one is difficult to use, see if they can give you a different one to try. Some people find that a mirror helps see what you are doing. Good luck with it, cheers Phil

It's just a matter of getting used to it. I hope it will work out for you.
Just an advice: when it hurts try a bigger Ch. It seems, especially in the beginning, when the catheter goes through the sphincter the bladder can spasm. A thin catheter can hurt the bladder wall more easy than a thicker catheter. In the beginning i used Lofric Ch. 18. Now i use Coloplast Speedicath. These are Ch. 12 on top but easy to use and to take with you. I now only use the Lofric for bladder washout.

This may sound stupid but I had 3 infections the last go around and I’m not sure I 100% trust the pa who showed me how to cath.

I always washed my hands beforehand. Now I’m an amputee and have to use my hands to get up off the floor and get up on the toilet. Should I keep some hand sanitizer with me so I can use that once I’m up there and ready? And I have female anatomy what should I use to clean myself before I cath?

Ok cool. I usually use makers mark (I think it’s sams club brand. I get them off Amazon for 12 bucks a case). So I think I’ll just use those.

@justej, I'm glad you come here and open up with all of us, it does help us too. Personally, I used a Foley for couple years. I went back to self cathing, but my urology team also suggested that if things get overwhelmed, and with the full support of my PCP to come in and she will place a Foley for decompression as they called it. I call it just big time anxiety.

Good:
I have been undergoing intermittent bladder catheterization for more than 6 years for my retention problems due to a megabladder) I have not had many urinary infections but I am still looking for support to investigate and to be able to someday have abandoned catheterizations.
I leave my blog address where I tell my life with this problem in more detail ...
unamegavejigaenmivida.blogspot.com
Regards.
J.M.Gallardo.
Buenas:
Yo llevo mas de 6 años sometiéndome a cateterismo vesical intermitente por mis problemas de retención por una megavejiga)No he tenido muchas infecciones de orina pero sigo buscando apoyo para investigar y poder algún día que he abandonado los cateterismos.
Dejo mi dirección de blog donde cuento mas detallada mi vida con este problema...
unamegavejigaenmivida.blogspot.com
Saludos.
J.M.Gallardo.