injuries to hands

Archives1

Staff member
so as we all know I fell last Tuesday. when I fell I caught myself using my hands. my wrists and hands are still painful. it hurts to change and im without an aide this week (long story). does anyone have any suggestions on how to make changing easier? this totally sucks. thanks

No, my heart goes out to you. I fell last September and broke both my wrists. It is not fun. If you think they are broken go get am MRI. Many breaks do not show up in x-ray.Try putting some big beach towels on the bed to laid on to get them on. To get them off maybe you can sit in the shower on a bench. Good Luck. Tough.

Hey EJ, sorry to hear you took a fall, not having full use of your hands when dealing with this can make things real complicated without some help especially when you add your leg issues into the mix….
When I lost the use of my right arm this last time, when at home I fell back on the Kins cloth Pullons, doubled up at night with the plastic pants to keep things dry. It was relatively easy to pull things together! When headed out with a Supreme or Mega Max I found by placing the diaper on the toilet seat (At Home!) then sitting in it and pinning the back against the tank while I kind of twisted my body to get things reasonably tight then fastened as tight as I could using my left hand & pre-pealing tapes before climbing in!
I can’t say I won any awards for the end results, but at least by covering all with the Kins taffeta pants kept things together and water-tight for the most part!
Good luck Buddy, hope your feeling better soon!

I wear a one size smaller fixing pant over my diaper every day. When I was still working I broke two fingers here at home. It was hell changing at night. Thankfully the pant keeps everything up which got me thinking. If you had just the elastic from a pair of underwear it could be used to hold up the diaper while you get everything taped up, kind of like a belt. Just a thought but might help.

I fell 1 1/2 years ago and broke one wrist, and fell again a few weeks ago and injured the other. It helps to use ice, a pain reliever to reduce inflammation, and a splint. Also rest a lot. Then it won't hurt as much and it's easier to do things.
I feel for you, and hope your aide will be back next week.

Thanks everyone. It’s a struggle even bathing because as an amputee I have to crawl into the bathtub and lower myself in. Only a day and a half until my aide comes back. Gotta hold on. Taking it easy today and I have plans to visit friends at their temple tomorrow so hopefully I can manage. I think I’ve got a plan.

Blessings prayers big time thanks for telling us makes me grateful realizing my issues are not that bad

I lost part of my left index finger about 4 years ago, and it made my left hand mostly useless for about a week. I made the switch to cloth pull ons at night, it was a hassle but it worked until I was healed enough.