Incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
Hi folks im jonno ive had my prostrate removed and since then have been leaking sometimes bsdly and sometimes a little ive tried the exexcises they teli you to do but to no avail when i cough or sneeze or even break wind that warm feeling comes round my groin area and i feel embarrassed and i also think can people smell the urine?? I just dont know what to do next the doctors are useless the hospital says they can put a sling in but it will be painful can anybody help with a solution
Many thanks

What would you prefer to wear? a pull up or tabbed brief?

Tabbed briefs are more absorbant than pull ups and if you wear a tighter pair of pants over the top, can be pulled down and up so you can try to use the toilet normally say every 2 hours. Depending on what you weigh and your body shape, most will fit in something like a Drylife Super X plus pad. Plastic backed, very absorbant and you can generally void up to about 3 voids maximum in one. Reasonably priced too. If you prefer cloth backed, try Abena Abriform.

This might suit you more then...

92a5dad2374fe728abbd18f3af6ef6c2.jpg

The ones i use are similar to them but as you said they hold the urine and it makes me sore they are called TENA for MEN really useless butive never seen them in shops round here are you in the uk or.usa
Regards

Have you tried an external catheter and leg bag set up? That might keep you drier and less sore? You can ask your GP to refer you to your local continence service for assistance with all of this.

I am in the UK too.

oh no could not go through with the catheter thing again or the bag my gp is so slow she forgets to arrange things there has got tobe something more easier than all this messing about

I had davinci by a guy who does 200/yr. Man was I sore, swollen and black and blue. They say about 1 in 6 will have that kind of post op brusing etc

Hi @Jonno, It sounds like you're new here and welcome aboard!
There are a lot of good people here and we will help you through this. Many of the guys who have had this surgery use pads. If I were to go that route I'd use a pad that is longer, rather than one that is wider than it is long. That photo up above seems the pad is wider than it is long but it is Abena and I've heard good things about it. You may want to try a sample. I have an overactive bladder myself and I like to use pull-ups. They are discreet like underwear and have good absorbency for my needs. I think they are also appropriate for post-prostate
I need to ask, do you do kegels? That's pretty standard therapy for after having prostate surgery. The things is you won't feel a difference immediately but it's something you have to keep after and follow the schedule your doctor, or PT gave you.
And here's something a lot of prostate patients do when recovering. Go for walks every day! The exercise helps the muscles "down there" and it's something that I swear by. In the first week walk a mile each day and then a bit farther on each subsequent week. Set goals for yourself and walk until you attain each goal. In other words do a little more each day than you did the day before!
At this point if I were you, I'd seek out a physical therapist who specializes in your area of concern. Many people think it's the doctors who do the work, but guess what? It's people like the PTs who stay with you and work with you until you get the desired results who do the work. So do try to find one.
And at this point I would try to avoid having a sling put in. Instead, there are these other things that have been outlined here! find appropriate pads/pull-ups; kegels (a therapist can show those to you); walk (good low-impact aerobic exercise); get a good physical therapist. By doing those hopefully you can avoid having a sling procedure done.
Good luck and I hope this helps! Please keep us updated.

HI THANK YOU FOR THE WELCOME TO TELL YOU THETRUTH IVE BEEN AT BREAKING POINT WITH THIS PROBLEM JUST AFTER IT WAS DONE IT JUST HAPPENS WHEN EVER IT WANTS TO I DREAD SNEEZING OR LAUGHING IT HAS GOT ME DOWN SUCH A LOT SOMETIMES I WISH I HAD NEVER HAD IT DONE AT ALL I KNOWIT SOUNDS DRASTIC BUT ITS TRUE I CURSE IT BUT THE MORE I DO THAT THE WORSE IT SEEMS TO BE POSSIBLY JUST MY IMAGINATION I USE TENA MEN PADS THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD IVE NEVER HEARD OF THE OTHER ONES THAT YOU SAY ABOUT IWHE I FIRST HAD THE OPERAION THE NHS SENT ME BOXES OF MASSIVE INCONTINENCE PADS BUT I FELT LIKE AN UMPA LUMPA WALKING ABOUT SO I DID MODIFY THEM MYSELF DOWN TO A DECENT LEVEL OF COMFORT BUT THEY WERE TERRIBLE THINGS AND MADE ME SO SORE ON MY BITS THAT I DITCHED THAT IDEA HENCE GOING ONTO TENA MAN. BUT WILL HAVE A WORD WITH THE DOCTOR TO SEE IF I CAN SEE A PT TO SORT IT OUT OR HELP ME IN ANY WAY THEY CAN ITS JUST DEPRESSING BUT I REALLY APPRECIATE THE FACT THAT YOU GOT BACK TO ME ON THIS FORUM HOPEFULLY I CAN GETA FEW IDEAS AND HINTS TO HELP STEM THE FLOW
THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION VERY MUCH

Hi Jonno,
Hang in there bud. There are worse things we can be stuck with. Just make sure you use some protective ointment on your bits to keep your skin from hurting and being irritated. There is an ointment that your doctor can provide too in case the skin is inflamed or has developed a fungal rash.
Hope you find a solution that is a bit better for you. So glad better products are available than just 20 years or even 10 years ago.
Kind regards,
Jim