Incontinence pads

Archives1

Staff member
Considering pads for leakage, since it is only for urine I’m wondering if it is a better choice. Has anyone used them and how did they work . I have to go back to work in 4 weeks and am anticipating a issue.

I use Depends and stick some paper towels in front and change them outand replace as needed. Pack some with you.

The problem with the pads is if they overflow then your underwear is wet. Also, if you change them what do you do with wet one? If minimal leakage i think the would be most comfortable but pack both until you get a feel

I require more protection than what pads offer I do use underpads on my bed and sometimes use booster pads in my diapers

I second that but I work where they have septic and cant flush pads so I use paper towls inside diaper for small leakage and just change out paper towel. Also a full colon or gas will stimulate bladder and thus nuisance small leakage. Stay away from gas producing foods or foods that irritate bladder like chocolate, caffiene and spices. Whole bunch of foods that irritate bladder. Chocolate has a bigger place in my heart than my bladder!

I use protective paper underwear from Sam's Club. Inside I use pads from Kroger. This gave me double protection which was necessary early on. When I am in a hotel and want to dispose of a pad, and the underwear occasionally, I use a grocery store plastic shopping bag. I carry a supply with me. They don't take up much room. Put the pad in the plastic bag and tie off the handles. Does a very good job of stopping the odor. I put this in the trash.

I do the same. Also, being a pianist and arranger, I sit ¾ of the day, exerting the kind of pressure that halts, for the most part, urination. As I said earlier, everyone is different with different life-styles.

I have used Tena male guards level 3 and they worked very well for me. Unfortunately those are not available in stores and have to be ordered online. Currently using Tena level 2 because of availability locally and do have the occasional day that I wonder if I will make it to a restroom to change.

Have wondered. Pads have a water-proof backing, but inside a diaper, any leakage would go to the diaper, right?
One idea i haven't had to try, as my problem is reduced (right now, anyway) to only need light pads, is: what if the pads were placed at the outside edges where the leaks occur - on the legs, say – to catch what escapes? Very temporary, need to be changed out, but that might help. Try it at home, first, see what happens.

pads don't work if your leakage is heavy. I wouldn't trust them

"Heavy" leakage is going to require a tape on brief (diaper).

"lite to moderate" will require at least a decent pull up. Tena mens are actually pretty decent. Northshore care has some more robust versions.

"Very light" drips and dribbles type incontinence can probably be handled by a pad.

It's not clear from your post what kind of IC you have, but I'm guessing it's prostate surgery related? Usually that requires lighter protection than urge incon. Personally, I find a bulky diaper is more discreet than wet pants....I have urge IC and have to wear a tape on diaper all the time, so you may not need that....but I'd at a minimum look into good pullups because I don't think pads can handle anything but drips.

I’m 2 weeks out of prostatectomy and not sure what is considered moderate or heavy leakage. But I have been wearing a men’s pull-up more like protective underwear and adding a max pad . Seems to work well as I just change the pad a couple times a day. But I’m home for now and go back to work in 4 weeks. Am finding it very frustrating

In my situation I initially didnt do well after the catherter pull but weeks 3-4 were encourageing. I did about what you did but used paper towels inside the diaper since i just had small leaks. Easier to dispose, cheaper. Once on my feet and back to work at 5 weeks I had a lot of leaking. Better after a BM as i think it put pressure on bladder. Somebody on here recc J&J baby powder with aloe and i agree. It keeps the rash down. DONT USE GOLD BOND UNLESS YOU ARE IN TO PAIN