Incontinence After Prostatectomy; Will It Ever End?

One of the sites I was reading indicated several statistical makers that (if you have them) may increase recovery time (or even prevent it)>
WHO WINS - WHO LOSES ?
Factors that lead to complications in recovery:

1- Size of original prostate (esp in those with a mass of over 100 grams)... The large the prostate was - the greater the recovery time; and even - perhaps no recovery.

2- AGE of patient. Patients over age 60 (each year) may take more time to recover.

3- Time (before treatment) in which prostate and entire urinary system was malfunctioning. The longer this period - the greater the likelihood of complications.

4- Previous surgical treatment of this area. Regardless of outcome, more than one surgery increased chances of complications.

This, and other "Markers" that seem related to who is (statistically) more likely to have complications is being studied more and more. Doctors are slow to absorb these new findings. It is all, sort of a work in progress, primarily driven by the shift to "Evidence Based" medical practice.

Bottom line: To have less "guessing", and be able to help patients make better decisions about treatment.... and especially, to help them avoid false, pollyannaish expectations, that will only hinder their healing

There are several of these, statistical gathering and interpretation sites out there. I will try to find you a link to two of them that really opened my eyes... ...

Best wishes, in the battle, brother....