In & out surgery

Archives1

Staff member
I’m scheduled for arm surgery, an hour procedure then recovery. I’m concerned. Won’t they hook me up with IV. Know I will wet myself even with pad.
Some days I have no leakage even with same amount of fluids. Others I don’t make bathroom.
Will they cath?

It depends on the surgery/procedure as wells as the hospitals policies. You might want to let them know and they can take care of your needs.

I’d suggest not stressing too much. Surgical nurses have seen everything, and these things are always so not a big deal in hindsight.

They may give you an IV, if you are concerned tell them (pick an understanding nurse) and ask for a cath.

Medical professionals are used to dealing with people who have medical problems. Let them know going in that you have incontinence problems, then let them deal with the situation. You are the patient. They are supposed to take care of you. (I told an MRI technician that I was wearing protection against urinary incontinence when he told me to remove "everything." His response was: "That's ok." I removed "everything." PS: The MRI showed no abnormalities.)

You are better off bringing your own protection and just let the nurse know before the surgery. It will not be a big deal to them. Hope the surgery goes well