How to accept?

Archives1

Staff member
So I read today that 85% of people with cerebral palsy have OAB. I therefore have decided to go for a urodynamics exam on Monday to see exactly what is going on. I have a pit in my stomach that the results will demonstrate that my bladder muscles are acting like my arms do sometimes.

Has anyone been in the state of mind where you are hoping that everything will go back to “normal” but you know deep down it never will? How did you move towards accepting your body the way it is functioning right now?

Thank you all so much and I hope you have a good day.

The only way I know to deal with acceptance so as to not get depressed about setbacks, is to look for opportunities if gratitude. Look for the things that are positive in life and focus on those things so that you can say, “even if this part is hard,” at least this other part is ok. Whether it’s a supportive friend/spouse/family member/community, a talent you have that others benefit from, or some other perspective can really take the mind off the bad.

I think all of us have had those moments of denial, hoping that it will all go back to normal. No matter what the outcome is from your appointment, we are here for you.

I don't have the Cerebral Palsy, but i do have the incontinence that was brought on by a doctors error. I got into a terrible depression. What helped me was this site for one.People on here are so very positive about things. One piece of advice to me was to get outside. Outdoors has a healing nature about it. You don't have to look far to see something that just brightens your day. Try to get a positive outlook by reading some of the threads on here. You will see people that are worse off more so than yourself, but their stories are really helpful to see you through the hard times. Find something positive and hold onto it. If you have family try to stay positive and strong for them. I know families suffer as well as we do. So keep them in your heart...love conquers all. Stay strong.

It's a difficult one for me in that on the one hand I've been told by a neurologist I should make a full recovery and on the other I know people with Chronic Fatigue and FND suffer from them for years. I'm very much in limbo as I'm still waiting for treatment so I guess I'm very much still at the 'things will get better and I'll be back to normal' phase. Really, until I've had treatment and that hasn't worked I'm not accepting that I'll be stuck like this.

In terms of the incontinence generally, having had lifelong issues (albeit mild ones compared to my current ones) I suppose having not used protection for years, I've seen how much easier life is with it.

Personally, I feel my most debilitating symptoms are my brain fog and fatigue. Those two are stopping me from working really. If someone were to come along and say I could restore your brain or your body but not both I'd pick the brain.

Sci_Fi_Fan said:
It's a difficult one for me in that on the one hand I've been told by a neurologist I should make a full recovery and on the other I know people with Chronic Fatigue and FND suffer from them for years. I'm very much in limbo as I'm still waiting for treatment so I guess I'm very much still at the 'things will get better and I'll be back to normal' phase. Really, until I've had treatment and that hasn't worked I'm not accepting that I'll be stuck like this.

In terms of the incontinence generally, having had lifelong issues (albeit mild ones compared to my current ones) I suppose having not used protection for years, I've seen how much easier life is with it.

Personally, I feel my most debilitating symptoms are my brain fog and fatigue. Those two are stopping me from working really. If someone were to come along and say I could restore your brain or your body but not both I'd pick the brain.

I'm the same- I'd pick the brain any day of the week!