Guilt with incontinence

Boomer you are much stronger than me. I’m trying to get on with figuring out my life but I find it very difficult to not feel uncomfortable and lack confidence. Kudos to you for living your best life!!

Yes it will and you have an amazing group of folks with same or similar issues that can listen or help get through it. Allot of valuable advice in these chat groups.
Hang in there, if some things look to big to deal with just take one thing at a time it will make things allot more manageable.
You can get through this.👍 You are a valuable part of the community.

I never had guilt but I certainly had anger anger at my bladder is what prompted me to finally break down and get depends back in the day.

I was like “hey bladder, you will NOT dictate my life, I am going to do what I want when I want so I am not going to let you run things”.

For a while I disassociated my bladder and the rest of me.

Boomer you are so right. Why feel guilty over a symptom that we didn’t want. Love the wisdom by so many folks here. Hope you have a nice evening.

Jim

@Damp I have never felt guilty about my enuresis. I figure to be guilty means you are doing something wrong. Sine my bedwetting is beyond my control so nothing to feel guilty about. I suspect everyone else with enuresis or incontinence can feel the same. It is something beyond their control.

Now with that said it does not mean that I do not get frustrated or aggravated by it at times. That's an expected and natural feeling to have when dealing with any situation that does not go the way you want or planned it can be. So sometimes when I wake up wet I'm like dang dude, really, still at your age. But the feeling usually is short lived and once I remember that it was not on purpose, deliberate, and was beyond my control I just accept it and move on.

So don't feel guilty, you have nothing to feel guilty about.

J

I too get frustrated when I revert to my feelings when I struggled with wetting as a teenager. I used to beat myself up wondering why I couldn’t stop wetting myself like a toddler. Soaked every night and leaking during the day and hating to talk to dr’s and nurses about it. I always blamed myself. I was in my 30s when I had a eurodynamic study done that showed I a neurogenic bladder, probably since birth, and I never had any chance of “controlling” my wetting. That is a very invasive procedure however in my case at least it explained everything. The dr said there was a surgical option that “may” help the problem but I’m no fan of surgery that is iffy since I’ve had 3 surgeries in my life and every one turned out negative. Diapers 24/7 was not what I imagined in my life but life has become so much better know I can finally do something to control the issue.

Glad you reached out here.
The human body is a difficult package isnt it.
You do what you want and do what you can to get on with it.

To Damp, the OP,
Don't feel guilty if you are incontinent after a prostatectomy and other pelvic surgery! Very easy to lose continence when mucking around down there. That is true in my case. I've come to accept this situation and wearing Depends during the day and a diaper at night are necessary and comfortable after my successful prostate cancer surgery. Almost a year ago when I had my knee replacement surgery I told the anesthesiologist about my incontinence before surgery and he said that it is much more common than you might expect, especially for those of us after prostate cancer surgery.