Emotions post-covid

Archives1

Staff member
Hey;

I dont know if this is what considered a "Long Covid" effect; but also might be because of my schitzoaffective disorder and what ive endured the past few years - but ive found myself to be more emotional watching tv and movies, video games.

Im not sure why; but during sad scenes and scenes where sappy people typically cry, i now cry. So consider me a sappy person now; but i never used to be pre pandemic. I usually could seperate the reality to cinema contrast and knew internally that it wasnt real - but now its like my brain doesnt do that; so when watching medical dramas and stuff ive found myself tearing up and wanting to cry because of sad story archs and emotional scenes.

Does anybody else experience this? Do you think its a Long Covid symptom? What are your thoughts.

Sincerely,
Honeeecombs

I don't know about a "Long COVID Symptom" but it seems that many things change in the Post COVID time. I wouldn't be concerned simply because crying when one get emotional for any reason isn't necessarily a negative thing, IMHO.

fleemoore said:
I don't know about a "Long COVID Symptom" but it seems that many things change in the Post COVID time. I wouldn't be concerned simply because crying when one get emotional for any reason isn't necessarily a negative thing, IMHO.

Noo; I don't think it's a negative. I'm just curious if there were others that experience this- I mean; it's probably embarrassing to come forward with - especially if your a guy; but its happened to me often so I've kinda gotten used to it.

Just on my mind is all.

Sincerely,
Honeeecombs

I don’t know about long COVID, but it could also be a sign of emotional growth and maturity. The sad scenes have people cry because it elicits sympathy or empathy from us. Being able to resonate means you connect more with the character and feel more.

I think when we are younger we both get numbed to events and are taught as men to forsake our emotions. I rather think having sympathy in this manner allows individuals to more readily forgive, and act when needed to help others. I consider it a good thing :)

I have always been emotional watching sappy movies and cry. They make a big impact on me emotionally Their are things I do not watch because I get too emotional, especially if it is sad, it is too stressful for me. Being a guy I do not let others see or know. Everyone is different and react in different ways. Best wishes to all Timmy

My dad is primarily mean and abusive, but when he watches movies with any romantic scenes or sad scenes, he cries every weekend, lol! I see him doing that, and I think, “Why couldn’t you cry at my wedding, like a normal father?” or “Why couldn’t you cry when I was accepted into every university I applied to?”

I agree with others that having more empathy is good for a person. Not being able to cry is a way bigger problem. Crying provides cathartic emotional and even physical release.

I haven’t heard of anyone else experiencing additional crying as a longhaul symptom, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. It seems like longhaul can cause anything. Longhaul can certainly increase depression and anxiety, which can increase crying.

I recommend speaking to your psychiatrist about it, or looking up potential side effects of the medications you take to see if an increase in crying is listed.

Personally, I applaud 👏🏻 any American male who is capable of crying contrary to how our stupid American society teaches men not to cry. It’s okay for men to cry in other countries, so they do, and it’s beautiful. I say go for it and enjoy every second of it!

I’ve dated men who never cry, and I can tell you I didn’t stick with them for very long because they tend to be mean, compared to how long I stayed with the nicer men who *did* cry.

Covid/Long Covid definitely impacts mental health. My anxiety's definitely been worse in the Long Covid era and after recent my third bout I had some existential dread like nothing I've ever experienced before. Thankfully it subsided.

In terms of films and TV hitting harder, I can really relate. I think it's partly just a part of getting older as we experience more and so scenes make us think of our own lives. Certainly since my Mum's health scare a few years back and my own disability I've become a lot more emotive when it comes to films/TV. I find it really hard to watch darker, grittier stuff these days whereas that's what I used to go to in my teenage years (was a massive, massive Battlestar fan). I've recently finished watching Andor and whilst it's by far one of the best shows I've ever seen, I did find it a hard watch.

The way I see it, crying is a human emotion, just like anger, or extreme joy, fear, and what have you. If you don't ever, ever, ever cry then you've been indoctrinated that it is the wrong emotion to show.
So by the same token is it wrong to laugh when you feel it? Is it wrong to express anger and say an expletive (and feel better having done it) And is it wrong to cry when you feel it? You're only human and the more you grow and the older you get the more you realize that.