Diet’s effect on incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
A year after radical pros I still have stress incontinence. I do the kegels but not like I should. Fixing that now and it seems to help. But my diet is something that I am coming to realize is affecting me.
I eat a lot of fruit. Green apples and berries. I am up at night about every 1.5 to 2 hours. I tire easily during the day. I think that’s partly due to lack of proper sleep. So I quit the apples. Big difference! Sleep all night with one trip to bathroom. Less stress urge to void. May be something to the diet. We’ll see.

Citrus and carbonated beverages cause me problems. At first I thought coffee did also but I was able to reintroduce 1 cup a day without issues. I usually sleep much of the night now.

Hello, just read last night about the severe post rp surgery effects of IBS irritable bowel syndrome. They don’t address problem because I think they don’t care. If you do some research you can see it is a very big problem. Nerve damage that occurs during surgery damages the bowels. I have been battling this for 7 months now and before the surgery I never had a problem. Now loose stools, pain and gas. Do some research and check it out. Just one more thing we never get told about before they cut you up.

There have been other threads about diet and specific foods/drinks. It seems to really help some people if you can isolate an item or class of items. For me, coffee avoidance after about 2 pm - so that's time of day.
Lots of things they don't tell us, and are hard to research. I'm adding "where else can i research this, it's side affects, post-problems, etc" to my lists of questions to not only the doctor, but the PA and the nurses.
Good luck.

Hi ya, I’m sending you the site; ncbi.nim.nih.gov Article # PMC 3214293. There are a lot of pages but very informative. They identify the problem but no solution.

I wet at night. Not so much during the day. But if I drink certain things like carbonated beverages, juice or tea, I get a sudden urge to pee. I think I am sensitive to artificial sweeteners too.
Sometimes the urge to go is so strong I can't get to the bathroom soon enough. I've had a few pee accidents at home, and a few while driving home in the car.

I go to community college and haven't had an embarrassing accident in public yet, but I worry about it.

I watch what I eat and drink, but I never really know when I might get a sudden urge. It might only happen once or twice a week at the most.

I don't want to wear a diaper during the day, but I think I might have to if I am going to be out of the house for a long time. My mother is supportive and encouraging me to wear one just in case I get a sudden urge to pee, but I hate to cause her any more expense. Up to now, I've never worn a diaper when out in public.