Diaper sizing

Archives1

Staff member
I have tried a lot of different diapers from a variety of companies. The problem I seem to have is to settle on my go to diaper. I have even ordered from adbl sites, and have had some success even though I really don't like doing so. I find Northshore to be a very reputable company. They are very good at giving you samples to try. I do wish they would carry a few more diapers. For example I have found the Rearz original diaper an excellent product that has been redone. It's thinner than the InControl and is very absorbent, comfortable, and it fits. I also like the Megamax from Northshore. However, the small is a little narrow and the medium a little long. Is is better to get the larger size or smaller? I have tried the Northshore Supreme as well as Better Dry. I find them to be stiffer, and not as much side padding as I would like. I may be ranting a little here, but at 73 years of age, and needing to wear diapers, I would like to find one that I'm comfortable wearing.

For me I always try to get the larger size(within reason). Being a very large man, I’ve found the larger size will give me the coverage, especially up front, that I need to avoid overflow and leaks. But it also s changes between diaper manufacturers... Abena L4 for me fits the best and is most comfortable and protective that I’ve found. I’ve not tried Northdore as shipping is a killer.

You didn't mention having tried Abena diapers. I like the fit, absorbency, and price but the oder control leaves a bit to be desired. They can also clump a bit if worn for a long time or if you are very active. Still a diaper you might want to try.

Concerning your size question. Just my opinion but I always like a diaper on the slightly too large size as opposed to too small. I think it's that it gives me more material to work with to get a good fit and obviously there is more absorbent material which is a bonus. Of course there is "way too large" and then all of the excess material just bunches up, gets in the way, and is just plain uncomfortable.

An interesting side note to this is I really do like my nighttime PUL pants to be on the "way too large" size as there won't be a problem with "coverage" if I move in my sleep and I also find the lack of restriction comfortable making it easy to sleep in. It does look a bit ridiculous being so puffy but I don't think that's much of a thing while in bed.

I also agree on going with the larger size, I use the Northshore MegaMax right now and am in between a medium and a large with it and almost every other brand, I have found that medium’s in order to get a good fit tend to chafe around my legs and be too tight and give me less coverage compared to larges

Another up vote for larger over smaller. Definitely helps me. However, try all kinds of products. They are not all cut the same and everybody is different. What works great for me would not work on someone else. NS does provide samples if you just ask them. They are very discrete, caring in nature, and would very much help you find something right.

I found the next size up in diapers works better for me too.. With a 36" waist, usually the label on the package says the medium diaper will fit me. However, I always find that the size Large diapers give me better coverage, with the front (and rear..) padded areas extending to the sides more, and they also come up higher on my waist. Sure, the tapes come around to the front more, but that isn't a problem for me.

It's funny, I ALWAYS bought medium size diapers, and they usually leaked on me at night. It was just by mistake that I got a package of Large once. When I read the label, 40" to 60" waist, I thought "Great, this isn't going to work!!" Well, I have not gone back to medium diapers since then. The only issue I might have is during the day, the diaper might be a little higher than my waist band on my pants, so I just roll the top of the diaper down inside itself about an inch or so, and it's fine.

I think ultimately it varies from product to product. I've found that the key for me is to be in between the smallest and largest range for a product. Certainly I've found that the products which start at my waist size are too big and the ones which end around there are too small.

I was having the issue when I was using pullups (one of the many reasons I've switched to just wearing nappies) - Tena pullups say that 39 inches is the max for a Medium but they're just a bit too small for me and the large, which say that they start at 37 are too big. I agree it can be frustrating when you've found a product which seems to be ideal but it's an awkward fit.

I'd certainly get some samples to be on the safe side. I'd always heard that going larger was better so got two packs of Tena slips in a large and they were crazily big on me but I was stuck with them and was glad when I'd got through them. Everyone's different it seems.

Hi Damp, I think North Shore is a good place to start as well. Just talk to the rep who answers the phone about your sizing concerns and they should be able to make viable suggestions. If you are using the tape-on type then going to a size larger would probably be okay. The main issue would be protection around the legs because where the legs join your body is the place most prone to leakage. So for me that would be my main concern. I myself prefer the pull-on kind, with the medium size working best.:) But it is strange how one company's large may be a bit TOO large for some people while another company's large may be too small!:D That's just one of the many strange aspects of this incontinence journey we are all taking!