Coffee

Archives1

Staff member
I’ve cut way back on coffee to try to help my incontinence. Not sure how much it is helping and I miss my coffee. Any thoughts from anyone whether it helps or not?

Coffee is a bladder irritant, meaning the bladder will work overtime to get rid of coffee once it reaches there. Caffeine in coffee is worse than decaf. You don't have to give it up, but you certainly have to know what will happen once you drink it.

@RBG Yeah, I get it. Early on I asked"where does it all come from?" I purposely don't drink very much for the obvious reason. Even taking into account fluid in food, I seemed to pee more than you would think. Not healthy I know. Hydration is important, The amount I guess it is different for each of us. - Then someone wisely said that we don't have to give up everything. Just plan for it. Weather it is that extra cup of coffee or enjoying his beer on the weekend. So I have adopted that philosophy. Sometimes I have an accident and sometimes I don't. It doesn't happen every time. - We have enough to contend with. Let's enjoy what we can. - Pam

I used decaffeinated coffee for a number of years and enjoyed it very much; it was a good brand of ground coffee, from Marks and Spencer, a British company.

If it was M & S, it would have been good. Here in Canada, they're all closed, I think. Quite the loss.

I fully agree with Pammy - I also don't give up everything what I like just because of my bladder. Key is really to plan for it. With drinking a good coffee in the morning and then wearing only a thin pull-up doesn't match - just wear a more appropriate protection and it's fine!If I'm drinking some wine or beer in the evening with my wife I know it's better to wear a high absorbent diaper in the night; Of course this is nothing we do every evening, but from time to time we enjoy and I see no reason to cut it off. Being IC shall not prevent me significant to continue my life as it was before and to enjoy still the things I love, like traveling, good food, coffee, sometimes wine, beer, whatever... key is simply wearing according protection and everything is OK for me!

I have always kept my focus on the fact I had lost enough of my body & lifestyle after the accident that crushed my body at 27yo, which began a series of almost 50 surgeries to hold Humpty Dumpty together, over the last 30 years, I simply refused to compromise anything else! I love my coffee, my Martinis, Scotch, Tequila & beer and MORE coffee! The alcohol in some moderation, but anything else that doesn’t hurt me, I’m in to the best of my physical ability.
I am recovering from an est.3ft. blood clot from my foot to my groin blocked 95+%. I went in for my 4 week checkup yesterday, my clot has decreased over 35%! My blood work is that of a healthy 18 year old as are my arteries, so balance is important as well as exercise. I’ve gone from a block or two a day 3 weeks ago, to 5 mile hikes with my Husky every day my knees will take it. I exercise at least 5 days a week utilizing whatever body parts are working!
Drink Up!
Happy Holidays to all !

Urologist tried to peg my coffee consumption as one of my issues, but I've cut back for Lent and still had issues. I did start switching to decaf during the day, which according to my wife's nutritionist, is as hydrating as water. I think @Hbic60 has it right, It's all a balance.

Sprung87 said:
I have always kept my focus on the fact I had lost enough of my body & lifestyle after the accident that crushed my body at 27yo, which began a series of almost 50 surgeries to hold Humpty Dumpty together, over the last 30 years, I simply refused to compromise anything else! I love my coffee, my Martinis, Scotch, Tequila & beer and MORE coffee! The alcohol in some moderation, but anything else that doesn’t hurt me, I’m in to the best of my physical ability.
I am recovering from an est.3ft. blood clot from my foot to my groin blocked 95+%. I went in for my 4 week checkup yesterday, my clot has decreased over 35%! My blood work is that of a healthy 18 year old as are my arteries, so balance is important as well as exercise. I’ve gone from a block or two a day 3 weeks ago, to 5 mile hikes with my Husky every day my knees will take it. I exercise at least 5 days a week utilizing whatever body parts are working!
Drink Up!
Happy Holidays to all !

Sorry that happened to you.
Are you on 81 MG. aspirin for your clotting?

I use a half caffeinated coffee and can’t tell the difference as far as enjoying coffee, but it less irritating to my bladder and better for my body. I also limit myself to 2 cups in the morning with an occasional decaf in the afternoon. Still enjoy some alcohol, but in moderation. Have mostly quit carbonated sodas and drink flavored water instead.

I enjoy my coffee too much to stop drinking it... I limit the amount and time of day and wear protection against leaks or being to far from facility. Life is meant to be enjoyed!

I grew up with a lot of truckers in my family. Coffee is life, the last cup looks like syrup. I enjoy good creamer but can drink it black as death. Decaf is just dirty water and a bad prank on my mental health when someone brings it around. I can put away two pots a day when I want to. But honestly I all but gave up soda so I just drink coffee.

Death before decaf!!!!

@ThatFLGuy - Oh my gosh that is hilarious 😂 My husband did long haul trucking for 10 years, and coffee was always the one constant. Decaf is a why bother. - Merry Christmas - Pam

Seasonal Holidays 2023

does caffeine weaken your bladder

All
Images
Videos
Shopping
News
Books
Maps
Perspectives
Flights
Finance
Search tools
It can also increase the urge to urinate if consumed in excessive amounts. Caffeine is thought to have a direct effect on the bladder's smooth muscle. It may irritate the tissues of the bladder and potentially cause an involuntary bladder contraction. This can contribute to urge incontinence.
https://www.stjoes.ca › PD 4...PDF
How does caffeine affect your bladder?
Feedback
About featured snippets
People also ask
Can too much caffeine make your bladder weak?
Does caffeine affect the urinary system?
How do you stop frequent urination from caffeine?
What drinks cause bladder problems?
Feedback

National Institutes of Health (.gov)
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Effect of caffeine on bladder function in patients with ...
by S Lohsiriwat · 2011 · Cited by 95 — Conclusion: Caffeine at 4.5 mg/kg caused diuresis and decreased the threshold of sensation at filling phase, with an increase in flow rate and voided volume.
Abstract
INTRODUCTION
MATERIALS AND METHODS
RESULTS
DISCUSSION
Discussions and forums
Can excessive caffeine consumption cause ...
Site favicon
www.quora.com
· Oct 7, 2016 · 3 posts
Is decaf tea and coffee a bladder irritant? - Quora
Site favicon
www.quora.com
· Feb 10, 2023 · 4 posts
What causes caffeine to make you urinate ... - Reddit
Site favicon
www.reddit.com
· Feb 8, 2018
People also search for
Why does coffee make me pee every 5 minutes
How long does coffee irritate the bladder
Does coffee make you pee more than water
Caffeine and urinary retention
Does caffeine make you pee at night
Can caffeine cause UTI symptoms

Norman Urology Associates
https://www.normanurology.com › ...
Caffeine and Your Bladder: A Delicate Dance
Dec 23, 2020 — Caffeine use can contribute to urinary tract infections in the bladder because they are often spread due to hydration or inadequate bladder ...

University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
https://uihc.org › health-topics › bla...
Bladder irritants
Mar 1, 2020 — High acid food or drink and caffeine may irritate the lining of the bladder or upset the nervous system that controls the bladder and bowel. Do ...

uturology.com
https://www.uturology.com › does...
Does caffeine REALLY cause overactive bladder?
When taken together, these studies demonstrate that drinking more than 2 cups of coffee per day (>200mg caffeine) is associated with ...

Healthline
https://www.healthline.com › health
11 Foods to Avoid if You Have Overactive Bladder (OAB)
The culprit in coffee and tea is caffeine. It can increase bladder activity and result in exacerbated symptoms , including higher urgency ...

oabclinic.com
https://www.oabclinic.com › caffein...
How Does Caffeine Affect Your Bladder?
Aug 4, 2023 — Caffeine can serve as both a stimulant which can irritate your bladder and a diuretic that can result in greater urine production. So, it should ...

WebMD
https://www.webmd.com › food-d...
Food and Drink to Tame an Overactive Bladder
Jan 27, 2022 — One of the biggest OAB culprits is caffeine, which can make you urinate more. Studies show that reducing caffeine intake to below 100 milligrams ...

saiu.ca
https://saiu.ca › coffee-and-your-bla...
Coffee and your bladder - SAIU
Feb 7, 2020 — The short answer is yes. There is little to no evidence to suggest that decaffeinated coffee causes increased urination ...
People also search for
Is milk a bladder irritant
How to calm an irritated bladder
Bladder irritants to avoid
Caffeine effect on urine output
Does decaf coffee irritate the bladder
How to stop coffee from making you pee

sorry about the above post. I'm not great with a computer. Google "coffee bad for bladder".
Lots of info there. also,
What drinks irritate the bladder?
These include drinks that contain caffeine and fizzy drinks – especially those labeled “Lite” or “Diet” which have artificial sweeteners, such as Aspartame or Saccharine. Alcoholic drinks, particularly spirits, can also irritate the bladder and for some, the acid in various fruit juices can make problems worse.