Botox

Archives1

Staff member
Can anyone tell me what it's like to have the Botox and did you have to self Cath if so how long after you Botox did someone show you how to do it or was it trial and error type any other + or - would be nice this is what the doctor said he wants to do?

No catheter. Just had it done again on Friday. It really eliminates my IC pain. However, it hasn’t always worked for me.

Garfield, this topic has been much discussed here. You may get a great deal of info by doing a search
Good Luck

I have had Botox and repeat procedures for about 6 years for OAB and urge IC. It helps my oab but hasn’t cured it. The embarrassing thing is and what I still feel pissed about is that I’m still in nappies 24/7. Other than this condition I am as fit as a butchers dog hit the gym 4 nights a week (pre-covid) and live a normal life. A few years ago I got really ill and ended up in A & E with uro-sepsis, apparently I wasn’t emptying my bladder properly but I had no idea. Anyways I ended up having to self Cath twice daily. I’m 51 and try and live life to it’s fullest but this condition really sucks. Botox is definitely worth a try even just to improve your condition. All the best.

Botox helps me 70-90%, depending on the day. I get max benefits for three months then have none left by six months. The efficacy gradually tapers. If you’re in the U.S., your doctor will likely start you on 100 cc’s/units. If that amount doesn’t help you enough, inform your doctor that in Canada, the UK, and Australia, they usually start with 200-300 cc’s/units. 200 works twice as good for me as did 100. I have never had to self-cath. Every country I’ve ever researched considers 400 cc’s/units of Botox to be the max a human can safely receive in a 3-month period. I know this because I also get 200 for migraines so my brain neurologist and urologist check with each other. Make sure your insurance will pay for it before you get it because if not, you’ll be shelling out at least $2,500.

The amount of Botox is determined by the size of your bladder. They can only put 100 cc’s in mine because it has gotten so small. They schedule my next Botox injection 3-4 months after the last one. Seems to work best for me.

Also make sure if you have an Health Savings Account (especially from Bank of America) download their letter of medical necessity and have your Dr. fill it out and sign it and upload it to their HSA website before the procedure so it doesn’t get rejected as cosmetic...
The Botox helped but not knowing about the form before hand has been a pain.

If the Dr. suggested trying it I would.
I’m going to have 2nd injections done next visit. It did help allot. If they offer to give you anesthesia say yes. It hurts even with lidocaine in the bladder when they are doing the shots. It’s a pretty quick procedure once the scope is in your bladder.
Doesn’t hurt very much afterward.

I get it about every four months. The actual procedure is uncomfortable but not excruciating. I usually have quite a bit of pain for a couple of days afterwards, but my doc is very good about prescribing pain meds to get me through that part. I'm generally back at work the next day, although still having bladder pain.

I started having to self cath after my first round of Botox and I've never been able to stop. I suspect, c though, that the retention issues were already there (I have an enlarged prostate), so not specifically for too the botox. I carry at least twice a day, and sometimes as often as a dozen times when my interstitial cystitis is flaring.

I was down how to self cath by my urologist's nurse. She cathed me first to demonstrate, then had me cath myself. It took a little practice (and a switch from red rubber catheters to hydrophilic-coated PVC catheters) but it quickly got easy. I hardly think about it anymore - slip it in until I feel the slight pop as it goes through the internal sphincter, then pull it out when it's done draining.

First 100cc I had really worked well for about 3 months. I had to cath because I couldn't initiate a void normally but I was used to cathing for my retention. Botox really helped me and I am waiting to have 300cc next time. The first time, I was under anaesthetic but next time I said I would try without. For OAB, I highly recommend it.

It hurt and did not keep up with it. It helped too little for the trouble. I have a hard time emptying My bladder while I am on the toilet. No problem with peeing in my pants. This sucks. Hate it. Hate it. I oh well have a good evening.