Big decision

Archives1

Staff member
I met with my urologist yesterday. I have gone back and forth on this but I have made a definite decision to go through getting a suprapubic catheter. I haven’t set a date yet but my urologist said it will probably be soon. I’ll be using a flip flow system so every 3-4 hours I’ll be emptying into the toilet. I’ll then be using a bed bag at night. I’m nervous but hopeful.

@justej

EJ, I'll be thinking of you as you go through this procedure and hopefully that it will bring you some piece of mind, comfort and improvement in life. You got this.

Ji @justej, You're much braver than I would be under the circumstances! We are rooting for you and before too long you'll be looking forward to a more comfortable life for you. Just know we have your back. Now the goal is recovery and getting back into the things you love to do. Everyone her will be with you in spirit!

I hope it works well for you!

I've thought about bringing up a suprapubic catheter with my doctor. Please let us know how it goes!

Nurses have discussed this with me too but I didn't go ahead at that point in time. I am however contemplating going over to a Duette catheter and do the same routine as you. I wish you luck and hope it helps you.

@physlink
423d281cecd3896b7b77c0f14bd9be03.jpg

It has 2 balloons to protect the bladder wall from getting sucked up the hole causing trauma to the skin.

@laalaauk thanks for the photo. How long can one of these stay in place? Are they less prone to UTI? Cheers Phil

Hey Phil,

As they are silicone, I think they could be kept in for a maximum of 3 months. When I had a standard Foley in I noticed my urine started smelling like a public urinal after about 2 months so for me I think I would change it every 2 months. I don't think they are less prone to a UTI because it is still an indwelling pipe where bacteria can access the bladder easily but I think with careful hand hygiene, cleaning routines and increased fluid input, this could be the way forward for me. The only things holding me back are my partner and urologist, who would probably not recommend for someone my age, (51).

Excellent product, but would say still change at least once a month like any catheter to prevent bacteria issues.

Thanks everyone. I’ve done a lot of research and joined a SPC group on Facebook. I also had a “coming out” of sorts and shared with family and friends what I was doing. I’ve gotten great reception and I hope this is the thing I need.